Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (camassanger)      Join Date: Oct 2009       08-31-2014, 10:23 AM Reply   
Time for new plugs and wires for the Mercruiser Black Scorpion 5.7. Can anyone recommend a good online resource to buy these?
Old     (mach90)      Join Date: Jun 2009       08-31-2014, 10:37 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by camassanger View Post
Time for new plugs and wires for the Mercruiser Black Scorpion 5.7. Can anyone recommend a good online resource to buy these?
http://www.skidim.com provides a great service to the industry.

Any chance your boat has a shower and/or heater? I'm thinking about installing into mine and would like to see where the "factory" location is.
Old     (camassanger)      Join Date: Oct 2009       08-31-2014, 11:44 AM Reply   
Thanks for the link. I don't have a shower, but here are pics of my heater. Let me know if you have any questions. One note of interest: I did see a few issues with perfect pass when turning on and off my heater (big amp draw at startup). Perfect pass still worked fine, but the display would go out. Ever since I installed the power-gate, no issues: http://www.perfectswitch.com/isolato...ier-isolator/#
No I don't work for them or have any interest whatsoever - its just a great product IMO

Here's the heater:
Attached Images

Old     (nailem)      Join Date: Apr 2011       08-31-2014, 4:35 PM Reply   
I just put Taylor 8.2 wire on my 5.7 BS only problem was the ignition wire has the wrong end on it and won't connect to the coil. I need to find the correct crimp on end for this. I run NGK tr55gp plugs.
Old     (wakebrdjay)      Join Date: Apr 2008       08-31-2014, 6:02 PM Reply   
Pull one of your plugs,look at the number and go buy the plugs at your local auto parts store. They will cost about 1/2 as much as a boat shop.
Old     (camassanger)      Join Date: Oct 2009       09-01-2014, 2:36 PM Reply   
Great idea Jay, I'll do it! Any idea on the wires? I am thinking I ought to just go to the autoparts store and get a wire set for a Chevy 350 and it ought to work, right?
Old     (meathead65)      Join Date: Sep 2006       09-01-2014, 3:26 PM Reply   
No, you'll need marine specific wires to clear the exhaust system on your Mercruiser. Save yourself a headache and pay the extra money for a proper set of fitted marine spec wires.
Old     (nailem)      Join Date: Apr 2011       09-01-2014, 4:59 PM Reply   
Not true. The Taylor wire set I got was plenty long enough.
Old     (meathead65)      Join Date: Sep 2006       09-01-2014, 5:33 PM Reply   
There are exception to most rules. Some 5.7 wire kits will have straight plug boots, some will have 90's, some will have 45's. Might get lucky, like you did, might get completely wrong wires. You got wrong coil wire, meaning another trip to store or modifying what you have.

I always prefer correct, made to fit wire kits. Ignition misfires from ill fitting wire ends or wires cross firing or grounding will ruin your day.