Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (jules)      Join Date: Jul 2007       01-09-2012, 6:55 PM Reply   
I'm in the market and I'm looking for a Nautique SAN. At the moment the decision is down to a 2002 SANTE with 330 hours and a 2004 SAN with 408 hours. The 2004 has a couple minor interior issues with the vinyl and the 2002 is pretty clean. Does anyone have any thoughts of a 2002 SANTE versus a 2004 SAN? Thanks.
Old     (corerider)      Join Date: May 2008       01-09-2012, 7:00 PM Reply   
Both are basically the same boat just
I or differences in interior space and tower design. Either will give you the same wake shape.
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       01-09-2012, 7:13 PM Reply   
Whichever is maintained better
Old     (miljack)      Join Date: Feb 2006       01-09-2012, 7:46 PM Reply   
check out planetnautique. Also, the '04 will have a deeper interior (lowered floor in '03). '04 tower is the least favorite for Nautique fans, but it's a personal preference.
'06 is the first year CC went to Jabsco pumps.
If the '02 is a GT 40 engine, and the boat has been well maintained, may be worth a look as that engine is a torque-y engine, most say better than the Excalibur (Chevy 330hp) for wakeboarding.
Old     (seth)      Join Date: Sep 2002       01-09-2012, 10:20 PM Reply   
Pretty sure the floor was lowered in 02. 02 was the year that the 210 got the biggest interior/ top deck change.
Old     (seth)      Join Date: Sep 2002       01-10-2012, 10:50 AM Reply   
I think I know the two you are looking at. If it was up to me I would get the 02 with the GT 40 motor. The only thing better about the 04 is the tower speakers.
Old     (jules)      Join Date: Jul 2007       01-10-2012, 11:16 AM Reply   
Yeah, I am leaning toward the 2002. The 2004 is fine, but the price difference and the fact that the 04 needs some work and doesn't have a heater or shower are sending me over the edge toward the 02. I may be speaking too soon though because both of the boats are a few hours away and I'm planning on checking them out this weekend assuming that neither are sold by then.
Old     (tommyg)      Join Date: Apr 2002       01-10-2012, 11:55 AM Reply   
We have an '02 and are the original owners. Great boat, the only issue is if it has the original digital gauges, we had lots of issues. Nautique switched them out for us (at cost anyway) for Faria analog gauges which are much better, no problems.
Old     (hrwboarder)      Join Date: Feb 2010       01-10-2012, 11:59 AM Reply   
I have an '01 myself, definitely would not go with the 04 just because it is a little newer. As said definitely whichever is maintained better
Old     (wakebrdr38)      Join Date: Sep 2006       01-12-2012, 4:03 PM Reply   
02 for the win. I have an 02 and am very happy. Most people say the tower in 04 has some view issues and it was the first year to switch to the "knee knocker" rear hatchlatches. In 02 they were electronic and therefor hidden in the compartment.

My only complaint about 02 was with a few interior issues. It was the first year for the deck redesign, floor lowering, and seating changes. All of which were great but the vynil pattern changed in 03. I believe it was due to seems pulling apart on some of the seats. I have experienced a little of this on the rear seat cushions. It just cracks down in the seam but doesn't pull apart and you can't see it. Bugs me because I know it's there though but no one else has ever noticed it.
Old     (texastbird)      Join Date: May 2003       01-15-2012, 8:35 PM Reply   
+1 for the 02 for the GT40 motor. I love my 02 SANTE and have for six years and 800 hrs
Old     (brett33)      Join Date: Apr 2011       01-16-2012, 7:42 AM Reply   
+2 for the 02! Had my 02 SANTE for going on 9 years now. Tommy G is right about the gauges. Upgrade to the analog ones for sure!
Old     (brhanley)      Join Date: Jun 2001       01-18-2012, 12:44 PM Reply   
I have not had any issues (other than owner error) with my '02 other than the vinyl on the rear seats pulling apart and the gauges (though some of mine still work). Bad design.

Minor issues:

The wide hatch on the ski locker is very annoying because you have to pull up the passenger seat to access...not a huge deal but annoying to have to put the seat up and down (and ask people to move in already cramped boat) to deal with ballast.

Ballast system design is also poor with aerator pumps.

Some people find the electric locks on the rear hatches annoying. I like them, but they confuse people who aren't familiar with the boat (and even those that are have problems sometimes).

Good boat. I don't think the '04 is much different from the '02 other than layout, tower design, vinyl, etc.
Old     (jules)      Join Date: Jul 2007       01-20-2012, 1:29 PM Reply   
Ugh. Well as it turns out, the '02 sold before I could get it. What a disappointment. ...So I remain on the hunt. Who would have thought that a decent Nautique would be so hard to find?!
Old     (texastbird)      Join Date: May 2003       01-22-2012, 8:25 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by brhanley View Post
I have not had any issues (other than owner error) with my '02 other than the vinyl on the rear seats pulling apart and the gauges (though some of mine still work). Bad design.

Minor issues:

The wide hatch on the ski locker is very annoying because you have to pull up the passenger seat to access...not a huge deal but annoying to have to put the seat up and down (and ask people to move in already cramped boat) to deal with ballast.

Ballast system design is also poor with aerator pumps.

Some people find the electric locks on the rear hatches annoying. I like them, but they confuse people who aren't familiar with the boat (and even those that are have problems sometimes).

Good boat. I don't think the '04 is much different from the '02 other than layout, tower design, vinyl, etc.
All valid points, but don't forget the GT40 engine only available in the 02. A major distintction IMHO.