Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (Jeff)      Join Date: May 2010       07-31-2010, 4:14 PM Reply   
Been wakeboarding since '92 (Only 1-2 times per season since college though). Went out on my boat with some friends who are more recently into the sport and they brought a high dollar rope with them. It wasn't coated but it was the small diameter, zero stretch type.

I've always been of the mindset that a rope was a rope and use cheap ones that came with my boat and ones that I've bought at Academy and what not.

Now, we did have more weight in my boat than usual, but I was getting crazy pop compared to normal and I think part of that equation (At least the cheaper part) was the rope.

I'm totally over budget for this season. Just bought a used 23' Mastercraft and used 1/2 ton truck to pull it with so I really don't have $100 for a rope right now.

I don't need the finest rope money can buy (Seriously, I still ride a circa '97 Super Squirt). I want the best price/performance ratio as well as long term durability. I've searched and mostly found a lot of outdated information with dead links and references to ropes that are apparently no longer made.

The problem with looking around on the internet is that I can't really tell what ropes are going to stretch and which ones won't. Some say "no stretch" but are clearly cheap poly/nylon rope while others look to be the no stretch type yet make no mention of that in the description.

What should I be considering for a rope/handle combo? It would definitely have to be under $100 but I really need it to be well under $100. Is anybody aware of any crazy closeout deals or anything like that? I'd be totally open to a rope/handle that's "so last year".
Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       07-31-2010, 4:20 PM Reply   
Try this:
http://boardersmall.com/xcart/produc...cat=297&page=1
Old     (Jeff)      Join Date: May 2010       07-31-2010, 4:28 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by talltigeguy View Post
Thanks. Saw that one but was unsure about it. So, what does "Poly-E" indicate? Is this going to be less stretchy than your run of the mill Straightline or Body Glove rope from Academy?
Old     (Jeff)      Join Date: May 2010       07-31-2010, 4:39 PM Reply   
What about this:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

It says "All wakeboarders can benefit from a professional grade no-stretch rope" which is a nice statement but it never makes a claim that this particular rope is a "professional grade no-stretch rope".
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-31-2010, 10:43 PM Reply   
as long as the rope is made of dyneema or spectra it is non stretch. so that last combo would be fine.
Old     (ldr)      Join Date: Nov 2002       07-31-2010, 11:03 PM Reply   
I've got a rope in the classifiied section that is a true no stretch rope.

http://www.wakeworld.com/classifield...g.php?view=858
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       08-01-2010, 7:43 AM Reply   
These are the best value IMO. I've had one for about 8 years now.

http://wakecord.com/Ropes.htm

Poly-E is polyethylene, and is stretchy.
Old     (Jeff)      Join Date: May 2010       08-01-2010, 12:25 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakemitch View Post
as long as the rope is made of dyneema or spectra it is non stretch. so that last combo would be fine.
Thanks. These were the keywords I was looking for.
Old     (Jeff)      Join Date: May 2010       08-01-2010, 12:27 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by trace View Post
These are the best value IMO. I've had one for about 8 years now.

http://wakecord.com/Ropes.htm

Poly-E is polyethylene, and is stretchy.
I like that orange one. Would make it look like I'm boarding with an extension cord. These are a bit expensive for me at the moment. How much better would this one be than the one I linked to a few posts up on Amazon?

How about compared to the one ldr has for sale above?

Also, forgot to ask this directly: Does my conclusion about the non stretch rope being directly related to the amount of "pop" I was getting seem logical?

Thanks,
Jeff
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       08-01-2010, 4:12 PM Reply   
Yes, stretchy ropes absorb some energy when you pull on them. Kinda like the suspension on a mountain bike.

That's a great price on a rope & handle on Amazon. No idea on longevity. I've had some expensive ropes fall apart.
Old     (tl7)      Join Date: Feb 2005       08-01-2010, 5:30 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldr View Post
I've got a rope in the classifiied section that is a true no stretch rope.

http://www.wakeworld.com/classifield...g.php?view=858
Matt - I'm interested in one of the ropes. I sent you a message through the classifieds.
Old     (kko13)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-01-2010, 6:24 PM Reply   
I just bought a liquid force white coated non stretch of course for $42. The rope makes a huge difference as far as a rope made for wakeboarding over just a rope. Stay away from the coated spectra. I had one of these and it didnt last worth a damn. I mean I could pull the coating off and it would work but the coating cracked and bunched up. It was only a year old. The liquid force one has a much nicer coating on it.
Old     (Jeff)      Join Date: May 2010       08-01-2010, 7:33 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by tl7 View Post
Matt - I'm interested in one of the ropes. I sent you a message through the classifieds.
Hey! You can't buy the rope from my thread until I decide to pass on it
Old     (Jeff)      Join Date: May 2010       08-05-2010, 6:03 AM Reply   
Ended up getting that Kwik Tek Airhead Spectra rope from Amazon above. Came in yesterday but I won't have a chance to use it until Saturday.

Seems pretty good. It's not coated but it is jacketed. I wasn't sure I wanted a coated rope anyway with the amount of complaining people seem to be doing about them cracking.

Not sure if this is typical but the handle section doesn't appear to be spectra. Maybe it is but it seems like just small diameter typical ski rope with vinyl tubing over it but I don't have enough experience with this stuff to be sure. I can push it together and see inside and there's definitely no core in there.
Old     (cadunkle)      Join Date: Jul 2009 Location: NJ       08-05-2010, 10:38 AM Reply   
I have the same handle. Only got to ride with it for two brief sets so far (no crew!) but it's a lot better than the "low stretch" Straightline rope I was using. The actual line of the Amazon deal is a decent no stretch jobbie but I was not terribly impressed with the handle. Still, a good deal though for those of us on a budget.
Old    SamIngram            08-05-2010, 10:51 AM Reply   
We just bought a 500' spool of rope made of spectra off ebay. I cut a 100' section off to use as our mainline. It has no loops or knots in it and we just use the knot from this thread. I just marked the length every 10' with a laundry marker that won't wash or wear off.
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       08-05-2010, 10:55 AM Reply   

on red tag sports today for $70.
Old     (mark197)      Join Date: Dec 2009       08-05-2010, 1:18 PM Reply   
http://www.stearnsflotation.com/Heli...ories-C37.aspx

For a nice handle on the cheap
Old     (stu929)      Join Date: Jun 2010       08-05-2010, 1:47 PM Reply   
Would love to know something about the rope on redtag. Did a few searches and Im coming up blank....Is it really worth it? and does this have the rubber grip or foam grip?

Thanks
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       08-05-2010, 1:58 PM Reply   
I really love my accurate a line
Old    LiquidForceWake            08-11-2010, 11:05 AM Reply   
The LF / StraightLine ropes are some of the best out there.. give them a try!