Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (mlzelenik)      Join Date: Apr 2016       04-19-2017, 9:17 PM Reply   
Currently have a model X that I ride but after having labrum surgery I won't be wake boarding till the end of summer and I'm looking to get a Doomswell to up my surf enjoyment. Can't decide between the Neo and Nubstep or what size. I'm 6'4 250. I ride a red rocket occasionally and while I like the buoyancy and surf feel but it's too slow for me. I like the model X but am wanting something a bit more stout. Would like to hear from those who have rode both the neo and nubstep

Also looks like I would be fine with the 5'0 models but am wondering if I should just go with the most buoyancy and get a 5'2 model. Thoughts?
Old     (Squamer)      Join Date: Oct 2015       04-20-2017, 5:08 AM Reply   
Own both, I ride a 4'6" NEO on the regular and love it. Also own a 5' Nubstep for the bigger guys I know to ride usually 200-225lbs. Overall even at 160lbs I can still shred and throw 360s on the 5'0. To me the differences are very minor in feel. Call up Brock and talk to him about which would be better for you.

Last edited by Squamer; 04-20-2017 at 5:10 AM. Reason: added words
Old     (MICAH_HARPER)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-20-2017, 5:17 AM Reply   
Neo and Nub are both great boards. I think the Neo spins easier due to the blunt nose.
both are fast and have great pop off the lip of the wave.

I would go 5' if I was you

im 6' 220 and ride 4'6 on both , so im thinking the 5' will be perfect for you.

Either way, you wont be disappointed. PM me if you have any more questions.
Attached Images

Old     (mlzelenik)      Join Date: Apr 2016       04-20-2017, 7:57 AM Reply   
Thanks for the responses guys! I did have an email exchange with Brock(amazing response time and customer service) and he said he might recommend going with the 5'2 just for stance width. He also said the nubstep was his personal favorite and would go with that unless I would be adding a lot of tricks or riding backwards for any amount of time.

I'm jealous of the custom boards. They look awesome. I passed on an opportunity to get one a while back. Lead time was like 6-8 months. Brock did tell me they are working on an option to add some customization in the future, so looks like I will be scooping one now and the other in the future.
Old     (beg4wake)      Join Date: Aug 2012       05-12-2017, 7:04 AM Reply   
Love my Nubstep. Took a little getting used to coming from a skim board, it can be very aggressive! But I love it now!

Last edited by beg4wake; 05-12-2017 at 7:07 AM.
Old     (granddaddy53)      Join Date: Dec 2013       05-12-2017, 9:25 AM Reply   
Neo was an absolute pig at southern surfest and the Nubstep
Was highly maneuverable and fun, the 53" phase 5 Ahi was better than the nubstep, as well as the brigade Indian Myke with the most wicked fins you ever saw and the brigade asymmetrical 4'10 for goofy , they didn't have the regular, bought all 3 after events
Old     (detipton)      Join Date: May 2014       05-26-2017, 9:49 AM Reply   
I bought a 5' nubstep last year and it is a great board. I'm 5'9 and 160, but my buddies are in the 200-260 range. This board really helped their surfing go to the next level. It floats really well with all the volume. As for me, it is fast and agile and a fun board to ride.
Old     (ronix686)      Join Date: Feb 2017       05-26-2017, 1:14 PM Reply   
Does volume really matter on a planing surface? I understand the reason for volume measurements on ocean surf boards that need a certain amount of float to allow the rider to get the board on plane easier, but for a wakesurfer the board is already on plane. The surface area of the larger board will have more effect than its volume.
Old     (Berg07)      Join Date: Mar 2018       05-07-2018, 4:00 PM Reply   
Looking into getting Neo or Nubstep myself. I'm brand new to wake surfing. Surfed for the first time this weekend behind a supra sa450. Demoed the 4'4'' 2018 Doomswell Hybrid skim with all 3 fins attached. I able to get up every time and go ropeless for several minutes before I eventually fall back and out of the wave. Your thoughts on a Neo vs Nubstep vs the hybrid skim for a beginner that also wants a board I can progress on? Won't know for sure until I get better but my gut tells me I'll like more of the surf vs skim style. Also, what size would you recommend? I'm 6'3'' 180lbs. Thanks.
Old     (Xbigpun66)      Join Date: Aug 2016       05-07-2018, 4:47 PM Reply   
The volume is a measure of how quick the board feels on accel from back in the wave and also how you can excel to Ollie or lip slap.
Old     (infinitysurf)      Join Date: Apr 2017       05-08-2018, 6:23 AM Reply   
I bought a Neo at beginning of last summer and it was a perfect board to progress on IMO. Bouyant, fast and stable. I am 5' 10" and 200lbs and got a 4' 8". I think you could do that size due to height....or perhaps a 4' 6" due to weight. The longer will be faster for you and more bouyant of course. Depends on how athletic you are.
I have also rode Nubstep and that was a great board, was more maneuverable to slash around (not as much surface area cause front end is point), so not quite as "stable" for a begginer. But I think both are great...Neo may be a little better to start on, after a couple months I think you may like the Nubstep better if you learn quick, so tough call. Never rode the hybrid skim to compare it.
Old     (Berg07)      Join Date: Mar 2018       05-08-2018, 7:12 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitysurf View Post
I bought a Neo at beginning of last summer and it was a perfect board to progress on IMO. Bouyant, fast and stable. I am 5' 10" and 200lbs and got a 4' 8". I think you could do that size due to height....or perhaps a 4' 6" due to weight. The longer will be faster for you and more bouyant of course. Depends on how athletic you are.
I have also rode Nubstep and that was a great board, was more maneuverable to slash around (not as much surface area cause front end is point), so not quite as "stable" for a begginer. But I think both are great...Neo may be a little better to start on, after a couple months I think you may like the Nubstep better if you learn quick, so tough call. Never rode the hybrid skim to compare it.
Thanks for your insight. It sounds like a great board. I'm hoping to demo the Neo this weekend and make a decision. My weight is telling me go with the 4'6'' but height the 4'8''. Is weight more of a deciding factor? It sounds like the longer 4'8'' board would be faster. Would it also be more stable for a beginner? On occasion there may be a heavier 220-240lb beginner as well. I consider myself somewhat athletic and imagine the shorter board would be a little more agile once i get better. Also, what exactly does volume correlate/play a factor in when surfing? The 4'6'' for example has a volume spec of 27L.
Old     (Xbigpun66)      Join Date: Aug 2016       05-08-2018, 5:17 PM Reply   
Volume is speed. See above
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       05-09-2018, 6:28 AM Reply   
nubstep here as well. solid board and great service from Brock and the guys
Old     (infinitysurf)      Join Date: Apr 2017       05-10-2018, 8:41 PM Reply   
Yes, longer is going to be more stable as its also a bit wider...bigger the board is the faster it will be with less work. Pros and cons to both sides. My opinion is that to start you will want the 4' 8" for the first summer and once you progress will likely want the 4' 6" just cause its a bit lighter and smaller, easier to air and throw around cause its smaller. But you will need to learn how to pump and stay in the wave. I am 200lbs and now prefer a 4' 6" now (Soulcraft Jordie Pro...lighter and less volume than the Neo) and even ride 4' 4" or 4' 5" secret weapon sometimes tho that is borderline for me. Its more work and constant pumping and carving, but that is how I like to ride anyway so it works for me. But when I was starting out, it was much easier to have the bigger board since you don't wash out as easy and you can recover from further back with less skills, so it gave me more time to learn what the heck I was doing. Also helped a lot that I rode weekly with guys better than me so I was able to watch and learn, get tips, etc. I still ride with guys better than me frequently and that is the way I like it, not only do I progress faster by being able to see what they do but its also highly motivating to watch guys doing crazy hard tricks and huge airs, makes me continually push myself to get better and try new things that I would not think of trying if I had not just seen someone else do it.
I will say this.....I originally started surfing on a skim and the first few times on the Neo (after my first dozen outings on the skim) felt totally foreign cause the Neo feels so much bigger and I was not sure I would even like it the first day riding it. After a few times out tho I really started to feel the difference.... so don't compare on very first ride cause it WILL feel like a "pig" if you are going from skim to a Neo cause its so much more board. It will make a big difference tho if you stick with it for a few days and once you can ride that board freely, you will be able to get on just about anything. I could not stay in wave on skim when trying to learn....after a month on the Neo, I could slash the skim all over and ride across the lake if I wanted.
Old     (Berg07)      Join Date: Mar 2018       06-29-2018, 7:55 AM Reply   
Thanks for all the great advise. Ended up buying the Neo 4'8'' Bamboo. Really loving the board! Been out several times now and been getting better and better each time carving/pumping. Would like to work on a 360. Any tips? I have been running with just the top 2 larger fins. Is the optimal setup to try spins? Does the 2 top fin setup make the board faster overall than running with all 4 fins?
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       06-29-2018, 8:56 AM Reply   
4 fins may be slower, but not by much. spins WAY better with a twin setup.

3: keep the board flat, not on edge as you ride up to the lip. take your time with it, you don't have to throw it.