Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old     (kbob)      Join Date: Aug 2009       04-08-2010, 9:04 PM Reply   
I’ve been thinking for awhile on how to make a unique and inexpensive set of tower speakers and this is what I came up with. I haven’t seen any cans like them yet…so thought I’d try it. I went down to the Specs Liquor store in downtown Houston. It’s probably the largest in the city, and they had around 11 or 12 different kinds of mini kegs. So I looked for the right color and flavor that would be nice to drink (a lot of) and look good together. I actually bought 5 mini kegs for around $100.00 and so I had one to experiment with. I used a dremel to cut a hole for the Polk DB651 speakers. Come to find out…the inside diameter of the keg is 6-3/8” and the speaker diameter is 6.5”. It was 1/8” of an inch off…I was so pissed! So my solution was taking foam pad sheets that I found at hobby lobby and filled in the lip of the can so that the speaker would fit flush on top. I used two pieces to fill in the gap, and a larger piece to keep the speaker and surface of the can from touching on the outer edge. I sprayed the inside of the can with Undercoat sound Eliminator that I purchased at O’Reilly’s. I sprayed 3 thick coats and used two bottles…probably overkill. I sprayed 3 coats of Rustoleum clear coat on the outside for protection and shine. I used banana jack female connections that I purchased at Radio shack. I like the low profile and I’m pleased how they turned out. After soldering all my connections I filled the speaker cans with white polyfill (used for stuffed animals lol) that I also purchased at hobby lobby to help with dampening. I put it all together I and bought self driving sheet metal screws hoping they would grab the thin aluminum and hold the speaker to the mini keg. The screws were a huge fail and would not hold at all. I was brainstorming on how to hold the speakers in and a friend suggested using aluminum rivets. I tried ½” long rivets but they were too short. So I searched grainger but I didn’t want to buy 500 rivets when I only needed 16. I ended up buying 3/16” Dia, 1.4” long rivets from Mcmaster-Carr. I drilled out the speaker and grill holes to fit the large rivets. The tower clamps are from bulletlines.com and the stainless steel knobs I bought at http://www.monroeengineering.com/kno...ob-studded.htm for quick disconnecting. A friend of mine had some 316SS angle and cut 4 pieces for me to make the L-brackets.
Attached Images