Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (Ttime41)      Join Date: Nov 2011       04-28-2016, 5:58 AM Reply   
If ever there was evidence that flex boards can pop as hard as stiff boards, and vice versa, this has got to be it! Any objections?

http://www.alliancewake.com/videos/a...-jump-contest/
Old     (Redheadd)      Join Date: Apr 2014       04-28-2016, 7:28 AM Reply   
That was the funniest clip of wakeboarding I've seen in a long time.
Old     (Redheadd)      Join Date: Apr 2014       04-28-2016, 7:28 AM Reply   
Funnest
Old     (Redheadd)      Join Date: Apr 2014       04-28-2016, 7:29 AM Reply   
I know it's not a word btw
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       04-28-2016, 8:02 AM Reply   
They seemed to be struggling on the Slingshot to get the height.
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       04-28-2016, 8:09 AM Reply   
Any advanced rider knows that a flexy board is a lot of fun (I spent a season on one) behind a boat, but you absolutely do not ride them for the pop. Also, I'd like to add that Steel is by far the strongest athlete in the bunch. He has always had springs in his feet--don't discount that.
Old     (Ttime41)      Join Date: Nov 2011       04-28-2016, 8:28 AM Reply   
But where are you guys seeing the lack of pop?? Mckee hit a 10' high heel 3 and went just as high as Steel riding a continuous flex board, while Steel rode a stiff 3 staged board. Can we agree that with proper technique you can pop just as high on a flex board?
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-28-2016, 9:04 AM Reply   
I like the tantrum to forehead pivot over the bar!
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       04-28-2016, 9:16 AM Reply   
I think Jeff even said that Steele went the highest. That may not be the board though. Steele is the man. He's a top 10 rider in my book.

I think that if flex boards popped as well or better, the top guys would be riding them. Only a few of the top guys do. None of the top contest riders do.
Old     (Ttime41)      Join Date: Nov 2011       04-28-2016, 9:45 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarrod View Post
I think Jeff even said that Steele went the highest. That may not be the board though. Steele is the man. He's a top 10 rider in my book.

I think that if flex boards popped as well or better, the top guys would be riding them. Only a few of the top guys do. None of the top contest riders do.
Agreed, Steel has some springs for legs.

About the top guys though. Top talent gets paid by the biggest companies, none of which are flex brands. A company like Slingshot has nowhere near the amount of money to spend on riders, therefor they sign freeriders that aren't involved in the contest scene. If anyone believes that the top 10 riders are riding a board because it's their absolute favorite brand/board, they're nuts. Maybe some of them are riding their favorite brand, but I guarantee that if a flex company came by and offered to double a riders money, they would take it.
Old     (spencercoon)      Join Date: Mar 2011       04-28-2016, 10:01 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiboarder View Post
Any advanced rider knows that a flexy board is a lot of fun (I spent a season on one) behind a boat, but you absolutely do not ride them for the pop. Also, I'd like to add that Steel is by far the strongest athlete in the bunch. He has always had springs in his feet--don't discount that.
Agreed
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       04-28-2016, 10:43 AM Reply   
Yeah, that video is awesome. What's interesting is we all know that line tension via progressive edge is really what gives you pop (wake size helps) but I think it's clear how much your ability to actually jump can help your pop. I've seen videos of Steele doing standing backflips and some pretty big box jumps. That fast twitch snap at the top of the wake can really help you.
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       04-28-2016, 10:46 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ttime41 View Post

About the top guys though. Top talent gets paid by the biggest companies, none of which are flex brands. A company like Slingshot has nowhere near the amount of money to spend on riders, therefor they sign freeriders that aren't involved in the contest scene. If anyone believes that the top 10 riders are riding a board because it's their absolute favorite brand/board, they're nuts. Maybe some of them are riding their favorite brand, but I guarantee that if a flex company came by and offered to double a riders money, they would take it.
100% all about the money for the most part

Slingshot is actively reducing their boat riders.

Scott Stewart has been obviously distancing himself, and Corrie Dryer Wilson is now with Ronix. Very few boat riders remaning on Slingshot's team. And they just signed a few more cable riders.
Old     (dvsone79)      Join Date: Dec 2012       04-28-2016, 11:03 AM Reply   
Quote:

Good point.
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       04-28-2016, 12:19 PM Reply   
Steel doesn't ride for Ronix and can ride any board he wants. He chooses the William...
Old     (Ttime41)      Join Date: Nov 2011       04-28-2016, 2:07 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiboarder View Post
Steel doesn't ride for Ronix and can ride any board he wants. He chooses the William...
Just further evidence that pros don't just ride the board they like the most (notice he's not on a LF anymore). Plus, I would never expect someone like that to completely change what they ride. He was on stiff LF boards forever before all that stuff shook down. People like us can afford to give different boards a chance and see what we like. It's all in good fun. People that wakeboard for a living need something constant so they can continue to progress and remain at an elite level.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       04-28-2016, 8:25 PM Reply   
A lot of good points that I didn't consider. I think you also have to look at the top riders that have pro models and what they are choosing to ride. Pretty sure guys like Rusty and Harley and the other elite have as much input as they want. And they are not riding flex boards.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       04-28-2016, 8:27 PM Reply   
Quote:
Just further evidence that pros don't just ride the board they like the most (notice he's not on a LF anymore). Plus, I would never expect someone like that to completely change what they ride. He was on stiff LF boards forever before all that stuff shook down. People like us can afford to give different boards a chance and see what we like. It's all in good fun. People that wakeboard for a living need something constant so they can continue to progress and remain at an elite level.

Well I think when a board company parts ways with you, you stop riding their brand just out of principal any.
Old     (Medium)      Join Date: Aug 2011       04-28-2016, 10:44 PM Reply   
Randall is on a flex board and he doesn't seem to have any trouble getting pop
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       04-29-2016, 5:01 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medium View Post
Randall is on a flex board and he doesn't seem to have any trouble getting pop

I don't think the Circus is a flex board. Pretty sure it's laid up with carbon fiber to be very stiff.
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       04-29-2016, 7:51 AM Reply   
Scott Stewart on Flex ... FYI he's now riding a Humanoid Circus (aka Randall).

Turns out he never even rode a Blue Pill
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       04-29-2016, 10:40 AM Reply   
Pretty sure Randall's board is not flex.
Old     (nathanb)      Join Date: Jun 2013       04-29-2016, 3:43 PM Reply   
Out of any of the pro's who predominately ride boat with their own model board I can't think of any who rode flex. Danny Harf it's the only one who has a flex board in the ATR S but he also has the timebomb. All the other pro models I can think of are stiff. Kruz, Dowdy, CTP, Remedy all have carbon fibre in them for a stiffer board and then most others are on foam core boards.
I know I prefer the pop and get more height from my '13 One than my brothers Pill
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       04-29-2016, 6:51 PM Reply   
harf ride the time bomb off the wake. It is a rock. It just has an open edge.
Old     (svnfightsvn)      Join Date: Mar 2011       04-29-2016, 7:33 PM Reply   
Oli derome rides a flex board
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       04-30-2016, 6:46 AM Reply   
this video is perhaps the most unscientific comparison I have heard.
Old     (Ttime41)      Join Date: Nov 2011       04-30-2016, 9:35 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplej View Post
this video is perhaps the most unscientific comparison I have heard.
Why is that? You have a few pros attempting to clear the same hight behind the same boat. The only variables are the rider and the board.
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       04-30-2016, 3:27 PM Reply   
Quote:
Why is that? You have a few pros attempting to clear the same hight behind the same boat. The only variables are the rider and the board.
Point proven.
Make each of them all ride the same sample of boards back to back and you'll have an answer.
Old     (nathanb)      Join Date: Jun 2013       04-30-2016, 8:33 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by svnfightsvn View Post
Oli derome rides a flex board
He rides a mix of boat and cable doesn't he? I was talking about guys who pretty much only ride boat
Old     (kevSML)      Join Date: Jun 2014       05-01-2016, 8:32 PM Reply   
You also have to remember that most of these pros in wakeboarding aren't riding the same wakeboard you can pick up at your local shop. These pros get their board custom made to whatever specs they need. For example, if they want a stiffer/softer board, then the manufacturer will do that and send them some. But that doesn't mean they are going to change the boards to those same specs to be sold to the mass public. Manufacturers and apparel/shoe companies do that for lots of different sports out there.