Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Trick Tips

Old     (matttolton)      Join Date: Jul 2015       07-30-2015, 10:20 AM Reply   
Hey guys, I'm approaching the end of my first real season of wakeboarding, and i've watched all the videos out there on how to do a wake to wake jump... I always think I know what to do, but apparently I just cant execute properly.

If you guys could take a look at one of my attempts and give me some criticism, it'd be greatly appreciated. Here it is as a gif - http://gfycat.com/SophisticatedCheapIrishdraughthorse

Also, I've attempted the tantrum a few times (even without being able to clear the wake lol) and I have that as a gif as well. I'm pretty sure I'm trying to throw it early, but i'd appreciate if you guys could gimme some tips on that as well. http://gfycat.com/HelplessApprehensiveChihuahua

I'm riding at 21-22mph with a 70ft rope.
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       07-30-2015, 10:32 AM Reply   
You're letting off your edge right before you hit the wake. Focus on a progressive edge. You also need to stand tall at the wake and avoid absorbing the wake with your knees.
Old     (matttolton)      Join Date: Jul 2015       07-30-2015, 10:40 AM Reply   
I kinda saw that too when I was watching the video. Thanks Tom!

Any other criticism is still being accepted
Old     (jps120)      Join Date: Oct 2012       07-30-2015, 12:20 PM Reply   
Like boardjnky said you are edging hard at the beginning then letting off as you approach. You don't have to edge hard to clear the wake. Just take a nice consistent edge out away from the wake then flatten out and coast. The boat will start pulling you back towards the wake at that point bend your knees and get in that seated position but still just let the boat pull you back towards the wake. Then as you approach increase your edge and stand tall as you are riding up the good wake. But remember you don't have to charge the wake to clear it.
Old     (slfxm)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-30-2015, 1:10 PM Reply   
Like everyone else said, hold your edge and stand tall. I find it helpful to shorten the rope so the wake is narrower. Then, once you're clearing the wake consistently, start focusing on getting more pop (hold the edge and stand tall). Once you're clearing the wake with good pop, lengthen the rope a little and do it all over again.
Old     (matttolton)      Join Date: Jul 2015       07-30-2015, 3:26 PM Reply   
Thanks guys! I appreciate all the help. This weekend it should definitely happen! Chances are I'll be back asking for more help when I start doing more tricks
Old     (jps120)      Join Date: Oct 2012       07-30-2015, 3:41 PM Reply   
Check out learnwake.com it is definitely worth the $10 a month
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       08-05-2015, 9:52 AM Reply   
stay on that edge! Nice spray coming off the board when you first lay into it. keep that edge and increase pressure as you get closer to the lip.

shorten the rope and slow the boat if you don't like the speed and tension where you are. it takes some getting used to when you're starting out
Old     (alexair)      Join Date: Oct 2008       08-05-2015, 11:44 AM Reply   
W2W - maybe this vid will be helpful for you - it's me with short file 50 feet and 19 mph speed only
Old     (Orange)      Join Date: Jun 2012       08-11-2015, 4:16 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by matttolton View Post
Hey guys, I'm approaching the end of my first real season of wakeboarding, and i've watched all the videos out there on how to do a wake to wake jump... I always think I know what to do, but apparently I just cant execute properly.

If you guys could take a look at one of my attempts and give me some criticism, it'd be greatly appreciated. Here it is as a gif - http://gfycat.com/SophisticatedCheapIrishdraughthorse

Also, I've attempted the tantrum a few times (even without being able to clear the wake lol) and I have that as a gif as well. I'm pretty sure I'm trying to throw it early, but i'd appreciate if you guys could gimme some tips on that as well. http://gfycat.com/HelplessApprehensiveChihuahua

I'm riding at 21-22mph with a 70ft rope.
I'd suggest shortening the rope to something like 60 ft. That will narrow the wakes enough to allow you to clear more easily while building your confidence and technique. The first w2w jumps can be the hardest due to fear. Landing in the middle is easy, then as you push yourself closer to the 2nd wake it starts getting hard and can hurt like heck when you land on top of the second wake. That can play tricks with your mind - make you scared to stand straight and let yourself get some air because your convinced that will make it worse. In reality, once you clear the wake and land on the back side it is SO much easier landing that your confidence will rise and the following jumps won't be as much a mindfuc!. The other posts hear are good for technique... I'm trying to give you a little help on getting the right frame of mind. Relax, understand it is easier to make it over than not, and understand that technique makes for a better jump than speed and aggression.

If you want, you can also lengthen the rope and start 10-15 feet outside the wake and first concentrate on one wake jumps that are really smooth and high... try to land in the middle but focus on standing tall and getting good pop. Once you learn the smooth technique, shorten the rope and take your full cut to the outside and go for both wakes.