Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (padawaan)      Join Date: Aug 2014       09-26-2014, 7:52 PM Reply   
how good is this boat for all around surfing and wakeboarding, ive got a good deal on one but want to hear from you guys if its a decent boat. I was going to add perfect pass and some ballast tanks in the back end.
Old     (racer808)      Join Date: Jan 2013       09-27-2014, 7:36 AM Reply   
Its not, its a ski hull. Wake will be flat it'll be hard to get a good surf wave too.
Old     (aricsx15)      Join Date: Jan 2014       09-27-2014, 11:52 AM Reply   
Wrong, its a great wakesurf and wakeboard wake. Let me dig up some pictures of my buddies 01 sunsetter vlx
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       09-27-2014, 5:04 PM Reply   
wake or diamond, that gen malibu 21 could never be called a "great" surf boat.
Old     (aricsx15)      Join Date: Jan 2014       09-28-2014, 11:21 PM Reply   
heres a picture of my friends sun setter VLX wake.
Attached Images

Old     (padawaan)      Join Date: Aug 2014       09-29-2014, 6:35 AM Reply   
do you know how much weight was in the boat? im going to have extra ballast put in the rear when I have the perfect pass installed.
Old     (augie_09)      Join Date: Mar 2011       09-29-2014, 11:50 AM Reply   
I can't speak for the diamond hull, but I had the sv23 hull in my 08 vride, although it seems slightly different than my friends '00 and '04 vlx hulls. They are supposed to be identical, but the wake just seamed to clean up more easily on ours.

Dialing in the surf wake is a challenge with this hull. There are people that have done it successfully and posted up how to over at malibu crew. If memory serves, you need to change props, run 750 in lock, 1000 on surf side in lounge and then bow weight. This hull sits lower, has less gunwale, then newer boats and with that much weight and listing the boat, you'll fell uncomfortable if other boats are throwing rollers your way.
Old     (nitrousbird)      Join Date: Sep 2008       10-03-2014, 6:58 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer808 View Post
Its not, its a ski hull. Wake will be flat it'll be hard to get a good surf wave too.
This is 100% complete and utter incorrect BS and you should know better.

Anyone with functioning eyesight can tell the ONLY difference in a SV23 Wake vs Diamond hull is the chines on the end. At faster speeds (typically 28MPH+), they start creating lift at the back of the boat. At wakeboard/surf speeds - especially weighted down, these have no way of creating any lift and therefore do nothing. There have been blind tests by pro's that can't tell the difference.

IMO, the diamond hull is the better buy - does what the Wake hull does and does what the Wake hull can't do. Can't surf it? Picture below, not a single exposed bag anywhere, everything on plumbed ballast. Driver 325ish while only my 40lb daughter and 100lb wife were on the port side, so that was also hurting me. 200lbs of lead I had up front just because it is easier than putting it in the back of the observer compartment, but would be the same either way. I'm 6'3" with long chicken legs, so no short person trickery:

That's not the best wave I've made out of it, but typical small-crew wave. No BS work to setup, just fill and go (plus drop the floating wedge). I'm also running a motor ~150lbs LIGHTER than the typical motor put in that hull (typical is Monsoon, I have the LS1).

As for wakeboard wake, I've never wakeboarded on my current ballast setup (only the smaller bag setup), but it is far more than I need wake wise. Neither wakeboard/surf wake are going to compare to the good modern 21' boats, but very good for the era.
Old     (padawaan)      Join Date: Aug 2014       10-03-2014, 7:52 PM Reply   
maybe I should revisit the wake setter with the diamond hull these look like good wakes the salesman said the only difference in the hulls happens around 26 mph when the diamond hull starts to lift out of the water. now he's trying to sell me an 02 tige 23v
Old     (gene3x)      Join Date: Apr 2005 Location: Dallas , TX       10-07-2014, 8:17 AM Reply   
I am curious about the next generation diamond hull (SV25D). Has anyone noticed a difference in the wake between the regular wake hull (SV25) and the diamond hull of the 05' to 09' hulls? I am incline to think that it does change the wake a little.