Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (ylewc)      Join Date: Oct 2009       02-13-2010, 3:12 PM Reply   
I am looking to purchase my first boat. Price range right around 20k. I have found a 02 Calabria Cal Air for a little under my price range, but recently found an 02 x-star that is about 5k more. I have read reviews on both and they both seem to have their pros and cons. What's your opinion?
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-13-2010, 3:49 PM Reply   
There is no comparison. If your doing any kind of boarding, and the X-star is in descent shape, the boat, interior & wake will blow away the Cal Air.

Have a mechanic look it over... it'll be the best $100 you spend on it.
Old     (jon_a)      Join Date: Feb 2003       02-13-2010, 4:35 PM Reply   
Yeah, I'm not a MC fan but if the xstar checks out, that is the way to go no doubt.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       02-13-2010, 4:58 PM Reply   
I had adirect drive Cal-Air and only get it if you would rather have a submarine. The bow is ridiculously close to the water. With no weight the bow almost dips. When you put 10 people in it it is damn scary.
Old     (michridr69)      Join Date: Dec 2008       02-13-2010, 5:03 PM Reply   
X-Star
Old     (sippi)      Join Date: Dec 2007       02-13-2010, 6:22 PM Reply   
I have seen a few 2000-2001 SAN for that price range too, I'd check those out. I'm going to be in the same position you are when I sell my current boat and my goals are to find a SANTE or old xstar for the price your in, but I'd rather have the SANTE but that's just me.
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       02-14-2010, 2:26 PM Reply   
X-star between those two. Might also look for some SANS, and if you want some fresher boats, might consider Launches, Mobius, and if you like surfing some Cents that could be had in the $20K range that will be a little newer.
Old     (njwaterwarrior)      Join Date: Feb 2003       02-17-2010, 9:43 AM Reply   
Must say, being a Cal Air owner, the X-Star will hands down throw a better wake boat for boat. To make the Cal-Air perform similar to the X-Star V-Drive, you would need to weigh it down quite a bit and that can make for some scary driving with the low end bow. The Cal-Air is gonna be cheaper, my opinion better looking, and more versitile as far as slalom wakes and handling/performance. I haven't been in an X-Star for years, but it is a great boat, and the choice out of the 2 for wakeboarding.

Steve
NJ