Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (cboom12)      Join Date: Jul 2004       07-13-2016, 3:04 PM Reply   
Just bought the boat and everything seem to be working except the oil pressure gauge is giving me a low reading at idle. Usually when I start the boat it reads normal for a bit and it seems to to read appropriate while underway, but I was idling and it was reading low. Seem like it could be a gauge or sending unit problem. Anyone know a good way to check?
Old     (mcclure_kevo)      Join Date: Sep 2008       07-13-2016, 3:52 PM Reply   
its normal for almost all v-drives to have the oil pressure light on at idle it should turn off as soon as you give it throttle
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       07-13-2016, 5:03 PM Reply   
The only way to check is to connect a good mechanical gauge into the hole the oil sending unit is in. You only need about 5psi at idle. You need over 30 psi at 4500 rpm. Usually you will have above 15 at idle and over 40 at high rpm.
There are a few things that can give you the low pressure light. A bad connection, a sending unit failing, a gauge failing, oil levels wrong in the engine (too low or much too high), or an engine getting set to fail.
Old     (WheelerWake)      Join Date: Mar 2013       07-13-2016, 6:13 PM Reply   
The gauge sending unit is notorious for failing. If you do replace it, make sure you replace the larger one (it's for the gauge).
Old     (petrie141)      Join Date: Jun 2012       07-13-2016, 7:35 PM Reply   
Our 99 VLX had a similar issue. The oil pressure gaugesare notorious for dancing all over the place, I eventually learned that there was no "normal" and just kept an eye on the boats performance rather than the gauges. Best of luck with the boat, I miss our VLX every day.
Old     (cboom12)      Join Date: Jul 2004       07-13-2016, 7:37 PM Reply   
Thanks for all the replies. Makes me feel more at ease that this is a common issue.