Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old     (hkysk8r187)      Join Date: May 2004       06-01-2016, 4:34 PM Reply   
Hey everyone, I've been working on this project for a few weekends now and thought some of you might find it amusing so thought I'd share my progress...

5 months ago I had ACL surgery and I'm not quite able to wakeboard yet so I've found other ways to entertain myself during recovery. This time I've decided something crazy...to build a mini wake boat lol! Since it's summer now, and I have a couple nephews visiting me next month I thought it would be so cool to build them a mini boat they can drive around our lake. They are 2-3 years old and drive power wheels and 4-wheels on their own so I'm hoping they can learn to drive a boat too.

The boat is far from finished but I'll share what I have so far and if anyone has interest they can follow my progress and maybe give me some suggestions along the way!

First thing I did was design a hull shape in CAD. I chose to have a fairly flat bottom instead of a V because it will provide more stability and push less water. Since I don't care about the wake, and I doubt it will even go fast enough to make one, I thought this would be a good design and push less water and hopefully making it slightly faster.

The second picture is the hull prices "unwrapped". This will give me the shapes to cut that will bend to form the hull.

The CAD drawings also show me stats about the hull shape, such as how much water it will displace. This lets me calculate how much weight the boat can hold to float. It was over 350 lbs so we're good. It will hold battery, motor, and even an adult no problem.
Attached Images