Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (tinytdubb)      Join Date: Jul 2007       01-06-2013, 3:29 PM Reply   
Just picked up this boat. Been a member of WW for a minute and I've done plenty of searching around this site. Does anyone have any general advice about this boat? Especially in regards to wake shaping for both wakeboarding and surfing. My boat has the standard triple ballast system I believe. It's a 3 bag system. I also have Perfect Pass Stargazer which I've never used. Also thinking about adding a monster cargo bimini. I appreciate your thoughts.
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       01-06-2013, 9:37 PM Reply   
That hull has a great wakeboarding wake. Check what bags the previous owner has in their as many have upgraded. The boat likes weight forward for sure. Assuming all the bags are totally stock. First thing I would do is replace the front belly bag with the 1150 LB bag that Fly High makes. You can get it from Wakemakers. It will just plug and play. Take the bag that was in the front and put it in one of the rear compartments. It should be a 650 LB bag and is longer so it helps bring weight forward and will tuck up under the back seat. Buy one more of those long 650 bags and put it in the other side. The wake will be money. You should be running in the neighborhood of about 2300 LBS give or take. It is still best to get your passengers up towards the middle of the boat or close to the driver. Run the speed about 23.5-24.5 and see what you think. Wake plate about 50%. It will be a big wake at about 75'.
For surfing, I always found it optimal to fill the rear 650 on the desired side. Put all your buddies over there. Fill the front bag half full. Wake plate at 50% or all the way up. Run about 10-11 and see what you think. It will be a big steep face, but not super long.
You will want to make sure the prop is upgraded as well to the 14.25x14. It will say right on the prop what size you have. You might get lucky and find the old owner did all this....
Lets see some pics!!
Old     (luke22885)      Join Date: Jul 2006       01-07-2013, 6:16 AM Reply   
Last year was my first year with the same boat and I posted the same question. My advice is do exactly what Tyler says because he told me the same thing. I run 1150 in center, 650s in rear and bought that 14.25x14 prop which made a huge difference. The only other advice I would have is that the more people you get in the boat the more weight you need up front. If there were 5 or 6 people riding with me we would either send a person or two up front or fill an additional bag that would have between 4-500 lbs. After one year with it, I am able to tell if I need more up front or not just by how the boat drives. Congratulations and enjoy.
Old     (LD50)      Join Date: Jul 2011       01-07-2013, 8:37 AM Reply   
I've got an '06 and run the 1150 up front and 750's in the rear. I'm not a fan of running that much weight and when playing with it, to me it just seem to put a lot of stress on the drivetrain. I like the flexibility of having it though. Either way, the wake is beyond my skill level and I find myself doing my best riding with little to no ballast which still puts out a respectable wake.

I did do some custom plumbing on mine for the surf wake though. The factory cooler under the port side bench seat was nearly worthless. It didn't hold that much and the insulation wasn't enough to keep ice from melting for very long. I went to work on it with an oscillating tool and cut it out. It looks fine and you probably wouldn't know it was ever there if you didn't know it in the first place. I took the factory center bag and ran it from the rear compartment all the way up and under the observer seat. I plumbed everything into the factory fill for the port rear bag and using some fittings and shut off valves from wakemakers I rigged it so you can fill and drain it independent of the rear bag. Other than that, everything is stock. Just expect a decent wait to fill everything unless you plan on upgrading the factory pump. The surf weight looked drastically improved but I haven't had much time to ride it yet.

As far as general advice, it's a pretty straight forward boat. It's about as easy to maintain and winterize as you're going to get in this segment. However, I bought mine new and did run into one major issue which was vapor locking. It didn't even need to be that hot out but it was a given that if I parked the boat for any amount of time after running it for awhile, it was going to vapor lock. It seemed to be an issue with a lot of these boats over several years. I'll give Skiers choice props on a lot of things they did to resolve some issues when I bought the boat but this isn't one of them. They mostly denied there was any vapor lock issue on any of the boats until the '07's or '08's when they started running the catalytic converters. None of the usual advice worked for me, running the blower all the time, opening the engine compartment when stopped, etc. I limped along for a couple of seasons with a fuel pressure gauge with a bleed off valve on it installed on the fuel rail port (definitely not the best or safest idea). I used it to bleed the pressure and foamy fuel out of the system into a small gas jug. I tried using insulating tape on the lines and fuel pump but it didn't help either. I finally bit the bullet and picked up the secondary fuel pump kit from skidim and that solved it.
Old     (tinytdubb)      Join Date: Jul 2007       01-07-2013, 10:17 AM Reply   
Nice! Thanks for the advice. I'll check out the ballast situation as soon as I get the boat back from service and detail. Do you guys visially check to see if the ballast is full before switching it off? Also if i upgrade the center sack will the pump cut out before its full. I purchased it from Liquid Wrenches in Livermore CA and they are putting the finishing touches on it as I speak. For my next trick ill try to get it to fit under a standard 7' tall double garage. Lol. I've read on some other threads that it is possible. I bought a 8" adjustable drop hitch just for that purpose. Might have to let some air out of the tires. It's either that or an additional $150 a month to store so ill give it a shot. I'll get pics of everything up soon.
Old     (LD50)      Join Date: Jul 2011       01-07-2013, 10:35 AM Reply   
I visually inspect mine a few times while they are filling but more to make sure they're sitting correctly than to see if they're full. Once they're full you'll hear the water dumping out of the drain ports on the side of the boat. Good luck with the garage, if it's a standard width door as well it should make for nerve wracking experience backing it in.
Old     (tinytdubb)      Join Date: Jul 2007       01-07-2013, 11:58 AM Reply   
Robert. Thanks I didn't think about the overflow as an indicator of full. Ya the garage should be fun. The opening is about 12 x 7 and once inside its 23x18 with 9' ceilings. I'll photo document the experience. Should be fun. My plan involves a drop hitch a floor jack and some good ol fashion merican effort.
Old     (Xtreme_Aviator)      Join Date: Mar 2012       01-07-2013, 2:32 PM Reply   
I agree with all above. Make sure to look up the details about water getting under the front locker area floor. I had to cut an 8" hole in it, remove some foam and pump out the water almost every time. Still not exactly sure how the water is getting under there.

The vinyl wears fast around the rear ski pylon. It rubs on a plate underneath. Either remove the vinyl and add more padding, use thickest vinyl you can find, or add a foam pad to the exterior to reduce wear in that area.

I have had the vapor locking problem, but only in the very early part of the season - something to do with blend of gas.

Add a 500lb bag to the front playpen area and fill everything else full.
Old     (tinytdubb)      Join Date: Jul 2007       01-07-2013, 3:03 PM Reply   
Xtreme_Aviator. That's crazy about the water. WTF? So the vinyl wore on the underneath side of the motor cover? I've got a 3m solution if so. Where are people adding the second fuel pump to avoid vapor lock?
Old     (MUNS)      Join Date: Jan 2012       01-07-2013, 5:37 PM Reply   
Yeah the water under the locker floor is really weird, but it seems everyone of the 05's has that problem. Mine does, i cut a small hole in mine just large enough to get the shop vac hose in there but didn't remove any foam. I siliconed a "plug" over it and remove it every fall to vacum the water out and man does it stink!. probably should do what Xtreme did but I was nervous to go very big. Hope you enjoy your boat!
Old     (MUNS)      Join Date: Jan 2012       01-07-2013, 5:38 PM Reply   
Oh and post some pics when you get her home!
Old     (LD50)      Join Date: Jul 2011       01-07-2013, 7:25 PM Reply   
The secondary pump is the same as the primary off of the carbed motors. The kit comes with a mounting bracket. I mounted mine on the port side stringer about midway between the fuel tank and v-drive. The wiring is plug and play if I remember correctly.
Old     (tinytdubb)      Join Date: Jul 2007       01-07-2013, 8:47 PM Reply   
Thanks man ill look into installing a second fuel pump before I need it. I can't find any pics if the area where water gets in. Where do you need to cut an access hole?
Old     (luke22885)      Join Date: Jul 2006       01-08-2013, 9:04 AM Reply   
I have had all the same issues. The rear vinyl on mine is ripped from the plate underneath poking through so trying to figure out how to fix that. Vapor lock but as stated only at begging of the year which i was told was from winter blend of gas (way i fixed mine quick was after using boat for a little while just pop engine hatch open and let everything cool down, even put wet towel on fuel lines/filter/ etc. and it started right up after about 10 minutes.) Also just noticed a few months back when winterizing the water under the floor due to there being a crack in the bottom of the locker. Cut a hole in there and sucked it out. Now trying to figure out best way to patch hole and fix cracks where water was leaking through.
Old     (tinytdubb)      Join Date: Jul 2007       01-08-2013, 10:03 AM Reply   
Are there any Supra reps on WW? Seems like they'd be willing to offer a solution to some of these problems. Some of the best acts of customer service I've ever seen have been here on WW.
Old     (tinytdubb)      Join Date: Jul 2007       01-08-2013, 4:16 PM Reply   
One more question. Does anyone know the height of the high point of the tower when folded? This is in regards to garage clearance.
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       01-08-2013, 4:17 PM Reply   
It is right around the 7' mark for sure, but could not tell you exact
Old     (Bumpass1)      Join Date: Oct 2010       01-08-2013, 5:52 PM Reply   
Vinyl on my 07 ripped in the same spot. I think I'm going to sand down the corners of the raised block around the engine latch. Need to find some high density foam padding to put under the the new vinyl. I was able to get new engine hatch vinyl for it, but haven't had time to mess with it.
Old     (Bumpass1)      Join Date: Oct 2010       01-08-2013, 5:53 PM Reply   
What everyone else said about the ballest setup is right too. Replace the center with the 1180, move the current center to the rear and buy another 650 from somewhere. Wake will be legit.
Old     (luke22885)      Join Date: Jul 2006       01-09-2013, 7:13 AM Reply   
I put mine into a 7' door for the winter. It is very close but will go. I lower the front as much as possible by putting it on a 4 wheeler hitch and even by doing that the highest part of the tower rubs the little rubber piece that hangs down and thats without letting any air out of the tires.
Old     (tinytdubb)      Join Date: Jul 2007       01-09-2013, 1:05 PM Reply   
Mike. I figured it will be close. I bought a 8" drop hitch. Would you be able to measure the high point of the tower while folded and the trailer lowered down?
Old     (luke22885)      Join Date: Jul 2006       01-09-2013, 1:33 PM Reply   
My boat is at our summer place in the garage about 100 miles from my house. Not sure when I will be there next. I have it really low when pushing it in, i crank the wheel all the way down and then lift it up with a floor jack to put it even lower onto the 4 wheeler to get it through the door. Nice thing is I can back half the boat in until its just about to hit before I do all of that.
Old     (tinytdubb)      Join Date: Jul 2007       01-09-2013, 2:52 PM Reply   
Nice. I'll find out next weds. But what you do is exactly what I'm going to try. Fingers crossed.
Old     (tinytdubb)      Join Date: Jul 2007       01-21-2013, 8:12 PM Reply   
Got the boat and got it in the garage. Great Success
Attached Images

Old     (loudontn)      Join Date: Feb 2005       01-22-2013, 9:55 AM Reply   
Boat looks great! The 21v is one of my favorite boats, congrats!

I can highly recommend the Monster Cargo Bimini. I've had one on my 24v for a few seasons now and it's still holding up strong. We always use it for storing surfboards and it does that really well.

Old     (LD50)      Join Date: Jul 2011       01-22-2013, 5:28 PM Reply   
I've been thinking about getting the monster rack too. I can't justify the price of the Z5. I'm assuming you can't tow down the road with it. What do you do with it when you're towing the boat or don't want it up?
Old     (loudontn)      Join Date: Feb 2005       01-24-2013, 5:02 AM Reply   
I tow with it up every summer but I also don't tow very far. It's a 5 to 10 minute drive to the lake from where I keep the boat, and a few times a summer I'll tow it for around 30 minutes to a different lake and I haven't had any problems. It disconnects from the mounts you install on the tower very easily but I only ever take it off in the winter.
Old     (dhill)      Join Date: Aug 2010       01-24-2013, 6:22 AM Reply   
boat looks great! love the 21v, great wake, durable, & reliable. congrats.
Old     (tinytdubb)      Join Date: Jul 2007       01-24-2013, 9:43 PM Reply   
Cody what size monster cargo did you go with?
Old     (tinytdubb)      Join Date: Jul 2007       01-24-2013, 9:44 PM Reply   
Dhill- thank you. Can't wait for summer!
Old     (Bumpass1)      Join Date: Oct 2010       01-25-2013, 5:01 AM Reply   
I have a '07 21V with a Z5 rack. I tow with the rack installed all the time. I tow about an hour to and from the lake with out any issue. I tie the front and rear sections of the Z5 to the tower with quick release straps. I run 60-70 mph without any issues.
Old     (dhill)      Join Date: Aug 2010       01-25-2013, 8:05 AM Reply   
what ballast setup does the boat have? stock or the upgraded? on my friends, he had the 1100lb in the center and 750lbs in each locker. the wake was incredible with the plate in the middle. no rear locker room, but who cares. fyi - he just sold that boat with 950 hard hours on it (no cruising, always loaded and riding) for $33k.
Old     (tinytdubb)      Join Date: Jul 2007       01-26-2013, 5:33 AM Reply   
Looks like stock ballast. Are there identifying markings on the fly high sacks? And wow!! I paid less than that with 1/10 the hours. That's always a good feeling.
Old     (Bumpass1)      Join Date: Oct 2010       01-26-2013, 4:56 PM Reply   
If you look at the end of the bags it will give you the size. Stock ballast is 650 in the center and 400 in the rears. The markings will give you the dimensions of the bags. I don't remember what the dimensions are off the top of my head. I will check when I get home.
Old     (mikebu)      Join Date: Aug 2008       01-26-2013, 6:52 PM Reply   
From my 07 21V

Stock Rear Ballast 101670 400 lbs
Stock Front Ballast 161670 650 lbs

I also have 2 Fat Bricks which I use for surfing or just one of them to balance out the boat
Old     (loudontn)      Join Date: Feb 2005       01-28-2013, 5:28 AM Reply   
Newj, I went with the small but if I had it to do over again I would have went with the medium. But I have the 24v and I'm not sure what the width difference would be for the 21v.
Old     (tinytdubb)      Join Date: Jul 2007       01-28-2013, 11:10 AM Reply   
@ Jamie and mike. It's the stock system. Honestly all I need for my small bag of tricks. Might add a bag for surfing.

@ Cody I'll have to do some measuring. With 4 kids I want all the shade I can get. I am definitely getting the monster cargo Bimini though. Does it come with the 4 point strap I see in your pic?
Old     (tinytdubb)      Join Date: Jul 2007       04-11-2013, 4:28 PM Reply   
Update finally got my boat out to clean. Found all kinds of treasures from the boat karma gods. Buoys, fenders, anchor buddy, ropes, mirror, flags ect. I used babes seat soap and conditioner. Gotta admit, I'm glad I didn't commit to it in gallon size. Boat bling on deck. Figured I post some more pics because I'm stoked for summer!!
Attached Images

Old     (tinytdubb)      Join Date: Jul 2007       04-11-2013, 4:29 PM Reply   
Couple more. Also got a new tow vehicle. 2001 ram cummins 4x4
Attached Images

Old     (tinytdubb)      Join Date: Jul 2007       04-11-2013, 4:31 PM Reply   
Interior
Attached Images

Old     (Bumpass1)      Join Date: Oct 2010       04-11-2013, 5:24 PM Reply   
Looks good. I've got an '07 and I've been working on getting mine cleaned up just about everyday after work this week trying to get ready for the weekend!!
Old     (mikebu)      Join Date: Aug 2008       04-11-2013, 6:54 PM Reply   
07 owner and I'm also starting to get small rips on my rear middle vinyl right behind the pylon in the piping. Have you guys been able to order replacement vinyl straight from Supra or did you have to go through a dealer? The shop that works on my boat were told to work with the new western Washington dealer who isn't getting back to them.

I just went through a Exile stereo make over. Replaced everything except for the Deck. There is a ZLD under the dash along with a Xi12DVC subwoofer in a sealed enclosure that integrates with the OEM Subwoofer wall. Bakes did a great job on the Install and Brian at Exile was nice to work with as well. System sounds very nice...

Old     (Bumpass1)      Join Date: Oct 2010       04-11-2013, 7:24 PM Reply   
Supra doesn't do anything direct to owners. Everything has to go through the dealers. I had trouble getting the center section of my sunpad skin, but that's because my dealer sucks. I've ordered stuff through the dealer in Atlanta (sorry don't remember the name). The people there are on point. They will take care of anything that you need and drop ship it to your door. Just know that all vinyl from skiers choice is on about a 6 week turn around, at least when my dealer Finally ordered mine.
Old     (mikebu)      Join Date: Aug 2008       04-11-2013, 7:35 PM Reply   
Was http://www.atlantamarine.com the place you ordered from?
Old     (Bumpass1)      Join Date: Oct 2010       04-12-2013, 3:17 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebu View Post
Was http://www.atlantamarine.com the place you ordered from?
Yep that's it. Just checked through my emails to verify. Here is the signature of the person I dealt with. I had what I needed within 3 days. Would have taken me 4 months and about 12 phone calls with my local dealer.

Cynde Martin
Atlanta Marine
Parts Manager and Warranty Admin.
6450 Lanier Islands Pkwy
Buford, Ga 30518
678-541-6609 phone
678-482-6669 Fax
cynde@atlantamarine.com
Old     (tinytdubb)      Join Date: Jul 2007       04-13-2013, 9:40 AM Reply   
Does anyone have pics of where your motor covers have ripped or separated?
Old     (Bumpass1)      Join Date: Oct 2010       04-13-2013, 11:17 AM Reply   
Mine did it right at the motor hatch latch. I will post a picture when I get home.
Old     (mikebu)      Join Date: Aug 2008       04-14-2013, 3:34 PM Reply   
Mine is doing it on the vinyl piping right above the latch, or between the latch and ski pylon.
Old     (tinytdubb)      Join Date: Jul 2007       04-14-2013, 4:19 PM Reply   
On the top? Is it rubbing on something?
Old     (luke22885)      Join Date: Jul 2006       04-17-2013, 9:14 AM Reply   
Mine is doing the exact same thing. I can get a picture this weekend but it is on the top where the latch is. If I push down on the vinyl in the 4 spots I can feel sharp corners underneath from the latch that poked through. It is possible to get a whole new skin for that? Any idea on how much that was?
Old     (Bumpass1)      Join Date: Oct 2010       04-17-2013, 5:16 PM Reply   
$275 for the skin, $750 for entire new center section already installed and ready to screw in place.
Old     (bigd154885)      Join Date: Jul 2013       04-22-2014, 9:47 PM Reply   
Hi guys wondering if I can get some advice on what my Supra 2005 21V may be worth to sell it has very low hours on it 108 hours to be exact . In excellent condition
What may it be worth to sell??

Darren

Last edited by bigd154885; 04-22-2014 at 9:49 PM. Reason: More information
Old     (tinytdubb)      Join Date: Jul 2007       04-22-2014, 10:17 PM Reply   
At least 31 this time of the year. Depends on condition, stereo, ect
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       04-23-2014, 8:03 AM Reply   
Where are you located?
Colors?
Trailer?
Options?
Condition?
Old     (MUNS)      Join Date: Jan 2012       04-23-2014, 8:45 AM Reply   
I also have a 05 21v that I need to sell and I am curious what price I should list it at
The boat has just under 300hrs on it, white with black accents. The rear bench seat has 2 tears on it and some of the vinyl is beginning to crack at the seams. Factory stereo with 2 tower speakers all kenwood. Upgraded rear 750 sacs. The boat exterior is in great condition.
Trailer is a tandem axle boatmate with 4 new tires last summer. Engine needs a new drive plate but I plan on having it replaced when I take it out of storage.

I live in Ontario Canada and I hope to get no less than 33 Canadian for it
Old     (bigd154885)      Join Date: Jul 2013       04-23-2014, 9:14 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler97217 View Post
Where are you located?
Colors?
Trailer?
Options?
Condition?

I am located in Western Canada. Calgary Alberta
Colour grey/ black
Tandem trailer
Options all factory tower speakers
Perfect Pass
Boat is in Excellent shape may have put 5 hours on it in the last 3 years

Thoughts

Darren
Old     (Xtreme_Aviator)      Join Date: Mar 2012       04-24-2014, 7:42 AM Reply   
I have noticed several of the Supra 21Vs on sale for $31-34K in Texas area. The 24Vs were closer to 34-36K. Stock tower speakers will likely not hurt the overall value more than $1K from others that are for sale with upgraded tower speakers.

I thought I remember reading that Canada boats go for a few thousand more than US boats, but don't hold me to that.
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       04-24-2014, 8:11 AM Reply   
Darren
Drop me a pm or let me know your email. I know some guys in Calgary that are looking for some boats. Maybe I can broker a deal for you.
Old     (redsupralaunch)      Join Date: Aug 2002       04-24-2014, 3:27 PM Reply   
I absolutely love the 21V. I bought a 05, 06, and 08.

Agree with 1150 front 650 rears. If you want to cut the fill time 300% swap the 3 stupid sprinkler valves with this game changer. The technology uses a capacitor to close a motorized ball valve which is about 1000% larger than the hole in the original sprinkler valve. I use these on industrial applications. http://www.ebay.com/itm/motorized-ba...item3f2ed706b8

For those looking for another - I don't know anything about this one but almost too good of price to be true. so watch out for something wrong but the ad looks great. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wakeboard-Bo...wer_Motorboats

I
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       04-25-2014, 5:52 AM Reply   
Chris I still use one sprinkler valve for my front bag. The other bags are on there own Tsunami pumps.

How did you wire in that Ball valve (just like the sprinkler valve???)

And what did you use for the hose connection it just a standard 3/4 barbed fitting?