Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (joeshmoe)      Join Date: Jan 2003       04-04-2015, 8:33 PM Reply   
I was supposed to go out on the boat last Tuesday, but when I went to put my hot tub on the back deck they told me I needed a permit to "install" a hot tub. The unit is completely self contained and is portable, but they said I needed a county permit to put it on the deck. So I drive an hour to get to the county office and am there for four hours and finally after paying $160, I can now do this...
Attached Images

Old     (WakeWise)      Join Date: Jun 2014       04-05-2015, 5:21 PM Reply   
Government and lack of common sense is ruining the country.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       04-05-2015, 5:52 PM Reply   
Well at least you now have a tub on the deck now. Thanks for taking me out on your boat last Monday. I had a great time. Looking forward to when we can do it again.
Old     (quik876)      Join Date: Mar 2010       04-06-2015, 9:36 AM Reply   
Yeah, it's gettin' to the point where you pretty much need a permit to physically move or breathe nowadays All so guv'ment can squeeze more money out of people
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       04-06-2015, 12:31 PM Reply   
I got a good one on this topic!

In Minnesota they are trying to pass a "Water Buffer Zone Law." The concept is that every single water way, lake or river in Minnesota public or privately owned would require there to be a 50 foot buffer zone from the waters edge to where the home owners yard can begin. The claim is that this will help reduce pollutants in water ways and create habitat for pheasants. So if this passes everyone who lives on a lake in MN has to give back 50 feet of land back to nature. Property Taxes in MN basically triple for lakeshore. The Gov in this state is an avid pheasant hunter, pheasants have been on the decline in MN for the last 20 years. IF this passes and you don't create the buffer zone you would be subject to a $500 fine every 30 days that you don't have the buffer zone in place. Such a garbage government over reach policy! They way I see it, if this passes the state can pay my property taxes or rezone my land to non-lakeshore.

Sorry for the Rant-
Old     (Jmaxymek)      Join Date: Feb 2012       04-06-2015, 1:11 PM Reply   
Going to sustain the threadjack real quick. Hey Andy, does this mean that as lakefront property owners, we're going to have to replace our sand beach with reeds and such? I was just on the DNR site where the info for the gov's plan is posted but it's rather vague on the actual responsibilities associated with the act. All the examples were of streams in fields and rivers.
Old     (joeshmoe)      Join Date: Jan 2003       04-06-2015, 3:30 PM Reply   
John, thanks for driving. Lake Virginia was Awesome. It would be a lot easier for me to get the boat to Lake Butler, if you could meet me there we could get out more often.
Maybe I should have called this thread "Everywhere sucks"
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       04-07-2015, 7:23 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmaxymek View Post
Going to sustain the threadjack real quick. Hey Andy, does this mean that as lakefront property owners, we're going to have to replace our sand beach with reeds and such? I was just on the DNR site where the info for the gov's plan is posted but it's rather vague on the actual responsibilities associated with the act. All the examples were of streams in fields and rivers.
Sorry for the Thread Jacking. I have been watching this closely. You are right they are very, very, vague as to what and whom is effected. What I have learned is that yes, every water way in the state, river, lake, stream, creek qualifies for the buffer zone. It is looking like like enforcement will be under the DNR. The bill does read that some regulation on the definition of what the buffer zone entails will fall on each individual county in the the state, however yesterday a law maker here in Grand Rapids told me that this is also vague and it was his understanding if a county did not participate exactly how the bill is written they may loose some of their state funding for the DNR in that county along with other sanctions. So back to the beach, again this is a combo of me reading and talking to law makers but it sounds like you would not be able to maintain the beach, you could keep the beach but would not be allowed to remove weeds and other "natural" green growing things from the lake shore, doesn't matter if is beach, rocks, or grass, this has to all become a natural habitat for 50 from the waters edge.

I am super concerned this is going to pass. The general consensus from people up in NorMn, "Oh, that will never pass." What most people are forgetting is that most Minnesotans don't live on lakes and lake shore home owners are view as "rich" and shouldn't complain about this because they "Don't own the lakes they live on." This attitude kills me! I live on a lake in Northern MN, I had to move 3 hours out of the cities so I could afford a lake home, and even then we basically bought a shed on a gorgeous lake. This almost feels like the MN government is stealing my land.

Sorry for the Thread Jacking.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-07-2015, 7:34 AM Reply   
Wisconsin has the buffer zone already, I believe its 35 ft that must be left natural. With that said, (in Wisconsin) they allow you 30% of your shoreline to "maintain for lake access".... this basically grants you permission to mow a path to the lake. There are also rules on how much vegetation you need in that first 35 ft. It can be as simple as letting the grass grow to like 10" or having to plant XXX trees per XX ft^2. On our lake, nobody really follows the rule(s) and I've never heard of anyone getting ding'd for it from the DNR unless they ad a HUGE sand beach or something.

.... The house we bought has ~330 ft. of shoreline, so I get up to 100 ft. of "whatever I want" .... which is all I would ever need. The remaining 200+ ft is a rock seawall anyway. The interesting catch is when we moved in I found all the original house blueprints and photos of the lot before they previous owners built.... the ENTIRE lot was a big sand pit. So if the DNR ever gives me ****, I'll simply say I'll return it to its original state - sand, and lots of it. Which is the last thing they want for erosion sake.

If it does pass in MN, I would try and find photos of your property back before the "grandfathering" age and see if they work in your benefit. Otherwise, my cousin worked for the Wisconsin DNR (now actually works in FL for their equivalent) and he knows a lot of the loop holes. I've told him he could make way more money being a private consultant for home owners on how to get around DNR rules and regs.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       04-07-2015, 8:06 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeshmoe View Post
John, thanks for driving. Lake Virginia was Awesome. It would be a lot easier for me to get the boat to Lake Butler, if you could meet me there we could get out more often.
Lake Butler is fine with me.
Old     (joeshmoe)      Join Date: Jan 2003       04-08-2015, 7:46 PM Reply   
John, that would be great, the address to the boat ramp is
R. D. Keene Park
10900 Chase Rd
Windermere, FL 34786
We need to coordinate our schedules for this Summer.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       04-09-2015, 8:24 AM Reply   
That's not much further from my house than OWC. I'll keep my schedule open for boat pulls.
Old     (JoLo_Si)      Join Date: Oct 2011       04-10-2015, 11:23 AM Reply   
I was wondering what happen to you last week Jo. We'll have to try and hook up again soon or you and John can try out Conway in my boat.
Old     (joeshmoe)      Join Date: Jan 2003       04-10-2015, 8:15 PM Reply   
Joe, that was the only day I didn't ride, and I was sitting in the county office All Day would have much rather been surfing on Conway Lake!
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-05-2015, 6:10 AM Reply   
Hold on there turbo - you need to add a screw to the back of that box before you plug it in. Once complete you need to drive back to the building department, wait 4 more hours and pay a $75 re-inspection fee. We are from the Government and we are here to help you.
Old     (viking)      Join Date: Sep 2009       05-05-2015, 1:01 PM Reply   
title of the thread should really read GOVERNMENT SUCKS
Old     (Dustfarter)      Join Date: Jun 2010       05-05-2015, 5:53 PM Reply   
1st world problems....
Old     (joeshmoe)      Join Date: Jan 2003       05-13-2015, 6:17 AM Reply   
Lots of crime in Florida! Thank God I'm in a gated community!
Attached Images

Old     (joeshmoe)      Join Date: Jan 2003       05-17-2016, 7:56 AM Reply   
This Really sucks!!!
If you are thinking about buying a place in Polk county, think twice about it! I am not moving, but if I bought another house, I would not buy in Polk county! So, last December, I am told that the place I bought in 2014 did not get a final inspection of an air conditioner that was installed in 2012! So, of course I call and explain my situation to them, I am up North Dec,Jan, and February, The calls did not help, even though I would do anything they requested, now I get a court date, but by this time, the letter is sent up North and although I am in Florida and could get to the court date, I never got the information to be there! So, now, if I don't comply by a certain date, I will be fined $100 dollars A Day if I don't get the final inspection for the air conditioner. It gets worse, but after jumping through several more hoops, I finally get the inspection and after all that I get a letter sent up North that I owe more money! Polk county Sucks!
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       05-17-2016, 8:27 AM Reply   
That is so weird. The county did this? Why not just tell them to schedule the final inspection? How come it had to go to court?
Old     (joeshmoe)      Join Date: Jan 2003       05-17-2016, 10:19 AM Reply   
Because I was up north, I couldn't meet their deadline to solve the problem, even though I tried to comply and resolve the problem over the phone, which in Polk county is impossible! The way you communicate with these guys is that you leave a message on their phone and they call you back at their convenience and tell you they cannot help you with your problem because you need a work permit(the work permit expired several years ago) Their online website is archaic and once you submit the form, there is No feedback that it has gone through or been submitted. Then when you finally schedule the inspection, they could be there anytime during the day or possibly the next if they are backed up! Even time warner is trying to narrow the arrival time to within an hour.
Old     (Shawn)      Join Date: Aug 2011       05-20-2016, 10:14 PM Reply   
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-23-2016, 8:24 AM Reply   
I am a general contractor and deal with building departments on a daily basis. It's the worst part of my job and the largest sap on productivity. They will never operate as efficiently as the private section even when the job is for their own organization.