Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (scotthons)      Join Date: Mar 2010       04-01-2011, 7:29 AM Reply   
I am thinking about picking up this truck over the weekend. We can trade in my wife's car and eliminate a car payment. It does not have to be used as a tow vehicle, but that option would be nice. I am really just looking for something reliable that can get me to and from work and other chores. I have had a lot of Fords and one Dodge, but never a Cheve. The dealer is starting off by asking $14,782 and it has 62,000 miles. It seems like a fair deal to me. Any thoughts? Thanks!
Attached Images

Old     (bruizza)      Join Date: May 2009       04-01-2011, 7:42 AM Reply   
Seems like a good deal. What options does it have?
Old     (silvermustang35)      Join Date: Jul 2008       04-01-2011, 7:43 AM Reply   
I have a white 05 Extended cab Silverado 1500 2wd. I've got 50,000 Miles on it. It has the 5.3L engine with the towing package and transmission cooler. I have had some issues out of mine, and my buddies 05 3500HD has one of the same issues. The transmission line coming out of the radiatior is prone to leaking at the pressure fitting. Its a $50 part, but it takes a while to change out as it is one fitted line with curves. My rack and pinion also has to be changed. I dont drive this truck hard and I think this is ridiculous. I have quite a bit of play in the wheel and as a result it has caused the rotors to warp and the pads to wear unevenly. In result, i'll be putting new pads, rotors, rack and pinion and a front end alignment for something that should have been a non-issue. The wiper sprayers have been changed twice for a flaw in the design and when I was still under warranty, the Knuckle joint had to be replaced twice....yes twice under 36,000 miles. It tows great though honestly and the engine seems solid, just the other things. Good luck. Thats not a bad price though. I bought mine new in 05 and it was around 30k.
Old     (scotthons)      Join Date: Mar 2010       04-01-2011, 7:56 AM Reply   
It is pretty basic which is fine. It does have a tow package, 2wd with the 5.3L engine. Thanks for the information Greg. That seems to be a lot of problems for such a new vehicle. I hope your warranty covered those issues for you.

Air ConditioningAM/FM Stereo CDAnti-Lock Brakes (ABS)Cruise ControlDual AirbagsPower LocksPower SteeringPower WindowsPremium WheelsTilt Steering WheelTowing Package
Old     (Jeff)      Join Date: May 2010       04-01-2011, 7:53 AM Reply   
The truck should do fine towing most boats that people on here tend to have. I think the crew cabs all have at least the 5.3L, right? My dad's extended cab '06 has the 4.7L and I used it to tow my 23' about 350 miles down the highway and it handled it fine.

The price doesn't seem like anything spectacular but I haven't looked at NADA or KBB. I bought the Dodge equivalent to that truck last year but it was an '04 w/ 47k and 5.7L for $10k even. That wasn't the only deal like that at the time either.
Old     (silvermustang35)      Join Date: Jul 2008       04-04-2011, 3:27 PM Reply   
Just saw your post reply, Did you end up getting the truck? Unfortunately warranty is covering none of that. I am out of their 3 year 36,000 mile warranty. It's all out of pocket now. I'm working on the rack and pinion next, and brakes and then alignment. Pretty much in that order and at the same time. Needless to say its not gonna be a cheap venture. The description of that truck sounds pretty close to mine. I may have a couple other little bells and whistles, but nothing big.
Old     (scotthons)      Join Date: Mar 2010       04-05-2011, 1:12 PM Reply   
That sucks you were all out of pocket on it. The truck sold on Saturday morning so I didn't even have a chance to take a look at it. I will keep my eye open and see what else is out there. Thanks for all the replies.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       04-06-2011, 11:35 PM Reply   
What gears? Run the vin on carmine.com and it will pull up the build sheet. If the gears are 3.73 or lower (a higher number) it should be fine. If they are higher then it will not tow very well at all. All 3 of my current Chevy's have 5.3's with 3.73's and they do OK towing.