Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (john211)      Join Date: Aug 2008       02-08-2015, 10:27 AM Reply   
My dealership is all ready for me to give them some February work, namely in this instance, shaft seal replacement. The dealer was candid with me, and said its best he launches the boat in his pond and observe the replacement after installation.

The boat is winterized, and ordinarily we have a lot of winter left. Does the dealer need to run the boat to observe the leak rate, or can he just observe the drip rate with the shaft sitting still?

If it's best if he runs it, can he de-winterize and then real quick drain all the water w/o changing the oils?

Also, any good ideas for bilge pump replacement? I've got 2 Rule pumps, both spin, neither pumps a drop of bilge water. Because of how my boat tips the boat a little forward, pulling the plug does not empty the bilge. A substantial pool collects under the ski locker hatch ... surrounding the mid-ship bilge pump which will not function (despite spinning). I syphon out what I can with a water squirter.

I bench tested the functioning of the mid-ship bilge, b/c it was easy to pull out and take home. I can hear the rear one (but cannot even see it). But anyway, I want some more robust than those silly Rule pumps. They look fit for home aquarium use, and that's about it.

Last edited by john211; 02-08-2015 at 10:30 AM.
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       02-08-2015, 3:04 PM Reply   
If you still have a drip style packing glad then yes the shaft needs to be turning for proper adjustment. I think even with the new dripless style you may need to run the boat to get the adjustment right. By running I mean in gear with the shaft spinning.
Old     (tx_foilhead)      Join Date: Apr 2009       02-09-2015, 10:05 AM Reply   
Why not let them do the work and then wait to check it when it's time to hit the water.
Old     (john211)      Join Date: Aug 2008       02-09-2015, 10:15 AM Reply   
That's a good iidea.