Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (davez71)      Join Date: Oct 2007       03-10-2010, 2:32 PM Reply   
Hey Guys its getting close to the start of the season and I am in the need for a new handle. Im looking for a handle that is really comfortable. I dont want a handle that will tear up my hands and I really dont like the solid carbon handls. Any Suggestions? Straightline, Accurate, Proline, etc. Brand is not that big of a deal i just want a nice comfortable grip. Thanks for the help
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-10-2010, 2:34 PM Reply   
I love the Hyperlite Era... donno if they make it anymore though.

Its got a thicker diameter than a normal handle and is very cushy
Old     (tchs22)      Join Date: Sep 2005       03-10-2010, 2:37 PM Reply   
look into proline LGS series...very nice...I have torn up a good bit of handles but this one has put up with everything ive thrown at it so far
Old     (epic1)      Join Date: Oct 2006       03-15-2010, 10:12 PM Reply   
picked up a ronix chamois handle last year. Love it, soft, and east to grip. Looks good too.
Old     (bogartsomeday)      Join Date: Mar 2009       03-15-2010, 10:15 PM Reply   
The new Proline MX Series handles are awesome! I strongly suggest lookin into them. They have that synthetice leather grip thats stitched to the handle so theres no more rolling of the grip.
Old     (adambarry)      Join Date: Sep 2008       03-15-2010, 10:44 PM Reply   
I have a ronix envoy and its lasted me quite a while. I usually tear up handles and get new ones twice a season but this one has lasted me one and a half seasons so far it doesn't show a sign of failing any time soon. It's still as comfy as the day I got it. Proline and Straightline make some good ones as well though.
Old     (surfdoggy)      Join Date: Dec 2009       03-18-2010, 6:00 AM Reply   
Why is it that every handle we use gets torn up half way through the season. Is it really that hard to make a handle for $100 that will last more than 8 weeks??
Old     (cocheese)      Join Date: Jul 2004       03-18-2010, 6:24 AM Reply   
Maybe it is because the ones that are bullet proof are the least comfortable. Seems like the more comfortable they are, the more fragile the are. I still have some of the old school rubber handles that we use in the winter in the snow behind the ATV. They rub blisters even through gloves, but they are bullet proof.
Old    ausbill32            03-18-2010, 11:33 AM Reply   
I just found this leather one from bullet lines last week. I ordered it yesterday. I can't wait for it to arrive so I can try it out this season and see how long it lasts.

http://www.bulletlines.com/product-p/167.htm
Old     (sippi)      Join Date: Dec 2007       03-18-2010, 12:42 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfdoggy View Post
Why is it that every handle we use gets torn up half way through the season. Is it really that hard to make a handle for $100 that will last more than 8 weeks??
As Robert said, the less comfortable handles (ie rubber grip handles) will last longer, it does seem that the more comfortable you get, the shorter life span it will have. My favorite handles are the old rubber ones, as a matter of fact, my buddy has one that is probably 7 years old, and its my favorite one. Its also the stickiest handle i have ever held. Literally, you can get that thing wet and it will physically stick to your palm! I like the "tractor tire grips" myself. If you think back to the 80s-90s that's all we had! And back then you may have had some people getting their hands torn up, but the complaints were low because there was no other option. One thing that I've noticed is that, with the "tractor tire" grips, if you can get through about a week or two with one of them, the outer layer will come off, it'll be sticky and it won't be so rough on your hands. But most people can't get past that first week or two because they get blisters or something (stop getting the manicures, can't hold a handle with creamy lotiony hands anyway, JUST PLAYING) My advice if you want a handle that will be sticky and last you forever, go out and get you a tractor tire rubber grip handle (like the Byerly Tractor Grip Handle), endure it for about a week or two and then you'll love it! If you don't want to go through it, I would even try getting it wet and taking a VERY light grit of sandpaper to it, to wear off the top layer.

Bottom line, the materials that are comfortable are not durable, but if you can get past the outer layer of the rubber handles, it will be very comfortable because it won't be as rough, it'll get more "spongy", and sticky, and it'll last forever. so its either, get a comfortable one every year (maybe even twice a year), or get a rubber one, and man up until it gets comfortable, because it will after a while, and you won't have to replace it unless your inexperienced driver of a friend runs it over.
Old     (lfrider92)      Join Date: Sep 2008       03-18-2010, 1:10 PM Reply   
we have a ronix totem handle, and it has a super soft and comfortable grip, and has no show of wear, my dad has been using it steady for about 6 months now, and to be honest, im not a fan of it. its a little to big for me. im a fan of small handles. we have the North on order in hopes of the same comfort, just a little smaller

we used to have a LF 09 watson handle, and its by far the best handle ive ever used, only bummer. got to far leaned back on a TS 180 and tried to butter out of it, and bent the heck out of it. (no i didnt save it either ;])
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       03-18-2010, 4:15 PM Reply   
If you get a hard rubber grip like the handles of old you just need to do a little maintenance on your hands. If you have calluses all you do is file them off and it will prevent you from getting blisters.

The other thing you can do is get Proline's LGT, its a combination of their LG & Synthesis handle. Leather grip, triangle shape and just about perfect.
Old     (tom_paz)      Join Date: Jan 2003       03-18-2010, 5:34 PM Reply   
I agree that a hard rubber handle will generally last longer than just about anything else, but i do not generalize all comfortable handles are going to wear out or fall apart within a years time. I had an 07 ronix north handle that i used for 2.5 years and it was just as good as the day i bought it. starting 08, ronix added more foam to the north under the chamois layer and they noticeably increased the diameter to the point that it was too fat for my liking.

I still have the original accurate/hyperlite Premier handle (the one with bright solid color and a sort of 5-ridge design, slightly thicker and softer...BEST HANDLE ON EARTH) i think mine is an 03 but they made them up to 05 (06 is when they switched to the current premier/prime handle with the triangle shape). Despite some dog teeth marks and a small chunk of foam missing from a close call with a prop, the handle and foam is still in excellent shape, even better now that the foam is softer, almost to the tempur-pedic level. it still floats and its the best handle ive ever gripped in my 9 years of riding.

That being said, they do not make this handle anymore and unless you are VERY lucky to catch one on ebay, they are extinct. of the handles that are available today, i am a big fan of the accurate/hyperlite Murray handle or the Chamois package handle (same thing just stitched logo instead of screened) it floats, is soft, comfy, extremely tacky when wet, anti-roll, light and not too fat/not too skinny. everyone has their own preferences, but this is a very high quality handle that will hold up for quite a while. check it out, you wont be disappointed.