Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       06-28-2010, 11:42 AM Reply   
Does anyone have the link of the video the guy made who showed how bad power turns mess up the water?
I've got a friend who didn't know not to power turn, and accidently threw his dog over board and killed it doing one. He wants a bunch of anti power turn stuff so he can show other people so they don't have the same thing happen. Seriously i think most people don't know not to do it. They think since everyone does it it must be safe. Our lake is full of nice 100K x-45s and tige rz4 boats doing power turns all over the place..................
Old     (PictureMeRollin)      Join Date: Apr 2010       06-28-2010, 1:34 PM Reply   
but they are so much fun!
Old     (jp1)      Join Date: May 2008       06-28-2010, 2:55 PM Reply   
I only do powerturns when pulling a tuber in butter...no that's a lie I always do powerturns...PFL powerturns for life biatchez
Old     (mcb611)      Join Date: Feb 2010       06-28-2010, 4:15 PM Reply   
their cool if you know what your doing
Old     (DealsGapCobra)      Join Date: May 2010       07-09-2010, 7:29 PM Reply   
Is this the video?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzvOs...eature=related
Old     (epic1)      Join Date: Oct 2006       07-09-2010, 8:34 PM Reply   
I only power turn when morons follow a rider WAY to close. Id rather be "that guy" then fish my homies chopped up boddie out of the lake.
Old     (epic1)      Join Date: Oct 2006       07-09-2010, 8:36 PM Reply   
holloy shiznit, that flobots remake is awesome........
Old     (bennn)      Join Date: Jun 2010       07-09-2010, 9:12 PM Reply   
look at me look at me claim i'm straight in designer jeans!!
Old     (idaho_hillbilly)      Join Date: Jun 2009       07-10-2010, 12:33 AM Reply   
I agree with Colorado...if it's a busy lake, I will ALWAYS do a power turn to pick up my rider. Way too many idiots out there that will not look for a skier or wakeboarder in the water. I tell the people the boat when the skier goes down, you better hold on!

I miss the days when I had a direct drive. Those things would turn on a dime and give you 9 cents change!
Old     (smitty1258)      Join Date: Jun 2009       07-10-2010, 6:23 AM Reply   
what happen to NoPowerTurns.com ?
Old     (dirtracer27x)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-10-2010, 9:43 AM Reply   
i agree it does make for undesirable water,but at our lake it gets so busy i need to get the boat in between the dummys and my rider/family.
Old     (nsolis220)      Join Date: May 2007       07-10-2010, 10:28 AM Reply   
all your doing is making the situation worst by power turning a loaded but doesnt get around to quick and that is going to leave you in no mans land which makes the other dumb driver panic.

I cant believe you guys are actually trying to justify being a Tard.
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-10-2010, 5:37 PM Reply   
Yea I cant tell if you guys are serious or not about the powerturning.....you guys think that floring it on a corner gets you there quicker? kill it, crank it to the right, let the rollers pass, and then floor it if you need to protect the rider...works better than initially flooring it to protect em. Especially when your boats sacked out or your surfing.
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-10-2010, 5:45 PM Reply   
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzvOsvrhR4M

Heres the vid. Didnt check if it was the same one as above.

https://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=745320

Even a facebook group haha
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=137401841430

Last edited by ilikebeaverandboats; 07-10-2010 at 5:50 PM.
Old     (idaho_hillbilly)      Join Date: Jun 2009       07-11-2010, 12:11 AM Reply   
It's a good thing we are all worried about powerturns! You know I don't mess up the nice glassy water at all when I'm surfing at 10 mph with 3000lbs of ballast.

What should we do with the waverunners, tubers, and those giant cabin cruiser?!?! I hate to say, but I don't think my powerturn to pick up my rider is going to cause the whole lake to go into chaos.
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       07-11-2010, 5:56 AM Reply   
Anyone trying to justify powerturning every time to pick up a fallen rider is a douchebag.

Explain to me one pro (other than an emergency or a boat closely approaching the rider) if I am wrong.
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-11-2010, 10:04 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by idaho_hillbilly View Post
It's a good thing we are all worried about powerturns! You know I don't mess up the nice glassy water at all when I'm surfing at 10 mph with 3000lbs of ballast.

What should we do with the waverunners, tubers, and those giant cabin cruiser?!?! I hate to say, but I don't think my powerturn to pick up my rider is going to cause the whole lake to go into chaos.
Seriously? You need to go out on a glass day....and have some yahoo doing powerturns the whole time....then you will understand.

When you make straight paths across the lake, your rollers roll out in one direction and eventually hit the shore, they dont have significant bounce back because the rollers behind them eat them up, or they roll up on shore. So NO.....your sacked boat surfing at 10mph wont kill the water UNTIL you start powerturning and send rollers everywhere, BIGGER rollers than just from traveling straight.

Its all about limiting the chop, and NOT powerturning provides the best water.

Im with jeremy on this one, you guys have to be kidding. Only justification of powerturning is if there is immediate danger or your rider is injured.
Old     (epic1)      Join Date: Oct 2006       07-11-2010, 10:14 AM Reply   
wow, some one needs to blaze one and take a nap. chill out its a convo about power turns on the net, its going to be ok. Dam surfers tearing up all MY butter. What kinda tard douche loads up their boat to the gunwall and does tardy douchie slow turns ALL day?
Sounds sad right?
flame away

Last edited by epic1; 07-11-2010 at 10:18 AM. Reason: add on
Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       07-11-2010, 12:29 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by idaho_hillbilly View Post

Idaho hillbilly,

I think that you miss the point. On busy days with cabin cruisers and lake lice everywhere, it doesn't matter, like you are suggesting. But for example, I live near a small lake. You can wakeboard with 7-10 boats and everyone has good water if they restrain themselves from power turning, but I have been there with just 2 boats and it was terrible. So for those days when there is just moderate traffic, yes, it makes a big difference.
Old     (idaho_hillbilly)      Join Date: Jun 2009       07-11-2010, 4:19 PM Reply   
Alright, I've had my fun.

I don't do powerturn when I'm surfing or wakeboard anyways now that I have my v-drive, they are like turning a tug boat. I did when I was skiing with my direct drives, but anyways.... I just can't believe people could be SO passionate about something like powerturns. I'm done with this thread, I'm going to go to attempt to do some less important things...maybe cure world hunger?

douchebag out......
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-11-2010, 4:56 PM Reply   
Thanks for the links guys. The people justifying power turns either have no clue or don't run on smaller lakes. Power turns not only mess up the water, they are also dangerous. If some other boat is bearing down on your rider and can see it being ok, but to just get back and pick up a rider is asinine, even on a busy lake. Comparing a boat sacked out heading straight to power turns just shows ignorance....
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-11-2010, 6:12 PM Reply   
No problem man.

I once had a lady power turn into me, so she was full throttle head on while I was pulling surfer. She then kept full throttle as I turned to get out of the way, continuing on the path of collision.....I had to throttle down in chop (from her previous powerturns) in my sacked boat people + about 1400lbs, basically having the surfer ram the transom, to keep this dumbass lady from killing us all. She didnt look over her shoulder to check if anyone was there.

They dont just kill the water guys, they are irresponsible and unsafe. Would you pull a uturn in your car at full throttle while looking in the rear view mirror??
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       07-12-2010, 8:31 AM Reply   
Powerturns are a joyous expression of horsepower on the water and I have come to the conclusion there is only so much you can do. Unless it is a wakeboarder or slalom skier, it is pretty much useless to even try to convert the recreational powerturner. I see wakeboard crews with fairly solid riders doing it and if I get a chance to ride with them, I always extol the virtues of idling back to fallen rider. Though I have made a few converts, half the time, you will see them out there throttling up when a rider falls the next week. Some ways of driving just die hard.
Old     (consigliereg8r)      Join Date: Aug 2009       07-12-2010, 9:24 AM Reply   
I don't powerturn to save my rider from the wakes. It is not that I am worried about messing up the whole lake just the lake where I am. It is also a huge waste of fuel
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-13-2010, 7:23 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmartin View Post
Powerturns are a joyous expression of horsepower on the water and I have come to the conclusion there is only so much you can do. Unless it is a wakeboarder or slalom skier, it is pretty much useless to even try to convert the recreational powerturner. I see wakeboard crews with fairly solid riders doing it and if I get a chance to ride with them, I always extol the virtues of idling back to fallen rider. Though I have made a few converts, half the time, you will see them out there throttling up when a rider falls the next week. Some ways of driving just die hard.
I've actually done a pretty good job of curbing the practice amongst those who I ride with. It just makes sense not to do it. You can't bitch about water out one side of your mouth and then say it's ok to power turn out the other.
Old     (ryansgt)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-13-2010, 3:53 PM Reply   
I actually had what was probably the perfect example of how to drive going on on the 4th of july. Bout 7 am there were 4 boats all together in petite lake. It's pretty skinny in there and it's hard to keep it nice if people are jerking around. All 4 of us were driving correctly, no power turns, correct shape for end turns and the water was beautiful. Stayed clear with very little chop. Driving with people that know how to drive makes all the difference.