Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (16igordon)      Join Date: Jun 2013       06-07-2013, 2:29 PM Reply   
Looking into purchasing a new boat. Currently have a 19' Tahoe boat up in the Finger Lakes, and want something bigger to wakeboard and cruise/lounge on. Originally looking into the Moomba Mobius LSV/Mojo 2.5, but I like the layout of the sundeck 210/220/230 or the chaparral 224 sunesta. The boats would have a 260hp merc in the 210 sundeck and a 330 mag (300hp) in the 220/230 and the sunesta. Would these boats be okay to wakeboard off of? They all have towers,and we are currently okay with the Tahoe wake.
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       06-07-2013, 2:31 PM Reply   
if you have to ask you should probably just stick with the stern drive.

No neither of them will touch a vdrive wake.
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       06-07-2013, 3:11 PM Reply   
None of the boats you mentioned are going to be good for wake boarding. You will quickly out grow the wake and want more. If you only board 3 times a summer you might be OK but if you get the bug, you are going to be sorry. Now if thats all your dad is willing to buy guess you will have to make due, but from a riders standpoint it's never a recommendation you want to make.

Have you ever ridden behind a Vdrive wake boat? If not you need to ride behind your tahoe and then the Vdrive back to back so you see the difference. There really is no comparison.
Old     (Paul_42186)      Join Date: May 2013       06-07-2013, 3:47 PM Reply   
If you've never had a chance to ride behind an actual wake boat (X-Star, Axis, Supra, Super Air Nautique, Moomba, etc), you don't know what you're missing. There is a difference. Last year I rode behind a Centurian surf boat a few times and the wake was not good for wakeboarding. You can cruise and lounge in any boat that has enough space. I'm not an advanced rider and I can notice differences in wakes. Wake boats can be set up to produce a good surf wave/wake, but with wakeboarding little things make a difference.
Old     (nitrousbird)      Join Date: Sep 2008       06-07-2013, 4:10 PM Reply   
If you like a crappy wakeboard wake, go for the stern drive. When you decide you want to go out and surf, go trade in that stern drive for a V-drive. Or just buy a V-drive to begin with and be done with it.
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       06-07-2013, 4:48 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16igordon View Post
Looking into purchasing a new boat. Currently have a 19' Tahoe boat up in the Finger Lakes, and want something bigger to wakeboard and cruise/lounge on. Originally looking into the Moomba Mobius LSV/Mojo 2.5, but I like the layout of the sundeck 210/220/230 or the chaparral 224 sunesta. The boats would have a 260hp merc in the 210 sundeck and a 330 mag (300hp) in the 220/230 and the sunesta. Would these boats be okay to wakeboard off of? They all have towers,and we are currently okay with the Tahoe wake.
For what it sounds like you want, you will be fine. Chapparal or Cobalt or Chris Craft for me anyway... if I was buying stern drive.

Not that I EVER would unless I was rich enough to own a mackin wake boat and lived somewhere where you have some open water to run and cruise...
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       06-07-2013, 4:55 PM Reply   
Nitrous, he already posted pictures of him surfing the Tahoe, said its perfectly safe.
Old     (nitrousbird)      Join Date: Sep 2008       06-07-2013, 6:19 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by boardman74 View Post
Nitrous, he already posted pictures of him surfing the Tahoe, said its perfectly safe.
Lol, I'm sure it is safe. I'm sure there is a safe quantity of Drano you can drink too...I don't suggest trying it. I've fallen forward before where a stern drive would be way too close for comfort. Stern drives and surfing = death wish. Besides, I'm sure the wake sucks to surf anyway.
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       06-07-2013, 6:42 PM Reply   
Quote:
Please direct us to these photos .
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       06-07-2013, 6:53 PM Reply   
They are about halfway down....3 of them.

http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=798403
Old     (nitrousbird)      Join Date: Sep 2008       06-08-2013, 5:26 AM Reply   
Quote:
They are about halfway down....3 of them.

http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=798403
That has to be the worst surf wake I have ever seen. I guess that helps a little on the danger aspect...with no push at all it's not like you are going to go forward towards the boat unless you pull on the rope.
Old     (slowwwflowww)      Join Date: Mar 2011       06-08-2013, 6:48 AM Reply   
That doesn't look like a surf wake,Just looks like a washed out wake.Need to either speed up for a clean wake or put some weight on one side and slow down to look like a surf wake.
Old     (Dmac420sj)      Join Date: Mar 2012       06-08-2013, 5:45 PM Reply   
Tell your dad to quit messing around and buy a real boat!
Old     (Dmac420sj)      Join Date: Mar 2012       06-09-2013, 8:32 AM Reply   
^wasnt trying to be a a hole. Just saying that the 2 boats you have listed will have a horrible resale value and you will obviously out grow them very quickly. If your dad doesn't understand the financial gain of a "real" wake boat you could always get a job (in California at age 16) and save for a few years maybe only 1 if your determined and go but your own boat. Like a nautique 2001 or something similar for around 5k or so. just saying. Lol that would be awesome by time your 17 to have your own boat. Pimpin!
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       06-09-2013, 10:02 AM Reply   
just buy a V drive wakeboat dude. dont even bother with anything else.
Old     (Dmac420sj)      Join Date: Mar 2012       06-09-2013, 10:55 AM Reply   
He's 15 and his dad is making the purchase^^
Old     (Launch22)      Join Date: Jun 2013       06-09-2013, 6:26 PM Reply   
Once you drive a direct drive or a v drive the choice will be clear. It's like comparing a chevette to a corvette. Not only is the wake better but the fit and finish, storage , drivability pretty much every thing is better. I have had a Supra and now a Malibu, both amazing boats.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD