Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       03-06-2010, 11:11 PM Reply   
I just purchased a 2 bank on board charger. I was thinking of mounting inside the engine compartment just under the ski pole so that it is out of the way, easy to get to when at home to plug in etc. Not sure if the heat in the summer with the engine running will damage it? My boat is a Sanger V215.
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       03-06-2010, 11:18 PM Reply   
Where are your batteries? Best to mount it close to the batteries.
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       03-07-2010, 12:22 AM Reply   
Sanger V210 here. I mounted mine in almost the same place but outside the engine compartment on the front wall of the drivers side rear compartment.
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-07-2010, 12:32 AM Reply   
Whats the advantage of an onboard charger vs having a good charger in the garage with a loom to connect to the battery bank?
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       03-07-2010, 1:14 AM Reply   
I like the on-board just because all I have to do is plug the end of the extension cord in and close the hatch, but then again my batteries are under the back seat bottom and would be more of a hassle to hook to and un-hook every time. Just the one plug is quick and easy.
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       03-07-2010, 4:54 AM Reply   
same here, remove the hassle...any harm in putting in there? (engine compartment)
Old     (camassanger)      Join Date: Oct 2009       03-07-2010, 7:28 AM Reply   
I have a sanger v215 too and mounted mine right under the ski pylon. Works great.
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       03-07-2010, 9:12 AM Reply   
DW, just to clarify yours is in the engine compartment right? how long has it been there?
Old     (99_slaunch)      Join Date: Oct 2005       03-07-2010, 9:21 AM Reply   
what kind of chargers you guys using and what would you go with if you had to do it over again?
Old     (camassanger)      Join Date: Oct 2009       03-07-2010, 9:24 AM Reply   
Yes, it is in the engine compartment. I mounted it this winter and have had my batteries plugged in ever since. It generates a very small amount of heat when bringing the batteries to full charge, but very little while floating/conditioning. I also have my battery isolator (has heat sink also) right next to it.

I dont think there's any difference in heat if you mount it in the storage compartments - when the engine is hot, the entire engine compartment including the rear lockers is also hot. So, for me, it is more out of the way mounted in the engine compartment.

If you think heat might be a problem, just open the engine hatch while you plug it in to bring them up to full... I've always done that anyway just to get the heat outta the boat faster (habit i guess).

Hope this helps

Aaron - I bought the prosport 8 from overtons for $100. It is a dual bank charger and seems to work great. Ive only had it for 6 months... If I had to do it over again, I would consider one that put out more amperage. But, I dont have any complaints with this one. I am not usually pressed for time to recharge, overnight would be the bare minimum for me, and I think this one will work fine. If you wanted to charge them faster (AGM) you might consider a different model. my 2 cents

Last edited by camassanger; 03-07-2010 at 9:27 AM.
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       03-07-2010, 9:29 AM Reply   
I had/have one of those $40 ones from Wally World (Wal-Mart). I had to replace both batteries this week (both 5.5 yrs old) not sure if it was the charger but I went ahead and got a on-board 2 bank fully auto one that is on sale for $114 from Bass Pro, Pro Sport 12. Having spent $300 on the new batteries I figured what another $100 just to make sure they are given TLC.
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       03-07-2010, 9:32 AM Reply   
Aaron I was more wondering about the heat from the engine during the summer causing damage to it. When charging the engine hatch will be open.
Old     (camassanger)      Join Date: Oct 2009       03-07-2010, 9:36 AM Reply   
Well, I wouldnt know about that yet, mines too new :-)

But, if it does, its going straight back to overtons. I'd be very surprised if that were the case.
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       03-07-2010, 9:57 AM Reply   
Wouldn't it be past the return policy time line?
Old     (camassanger)      Join Date: Oct 2009       03-07-2010, 11:23 AM Reply   
Im not worried. It doesnt get that hot... and it is cooled by air flow thru the hull from under the windshield. I know it does get hot, but Im thinking 150-200 max. Should be OK
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       03-07-2010, 12:06 PM Reply   
I really dont think the engine heat will be an issue. Possibly the mounting instructions will specify a suggested temp range for the charger to be ok in. I put mine in the side locker only because it's easier to open/reach to plug in. Kenny if you got 5 1/2 years out of your batteries you were doing something right! Thats a 1 1/2 to 2 year improvement over what I see on a regular basis. Like everything else, it's all about the maintanence.
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       03-07-2010, 3:25 PM Reply   
I thought that was somewhat bad for batteries. I have one of those Schomaucher chargers from Wal-Mart but never worried because it was the stock starting and deep cycle batteries that came with the boat when we bought it Aug 04.