Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (RPM_DLX)      Join Date: Jul 2010       07-19-2019, 11:58 AM Reply   
We are in the market for a new boat. I sold the Sanger V215 and we've missed it too much. We are thinking the 23 foot range is ideal size. Looking for something that can handle choppier days better since that seems to be the norm on weekends anymore. Surfing and ease of setting up is important. I don't need a pro sized eaves but I'm a big guy so I need a big wave. We'll do some wakeboarding but it's all very novice and every level for surfing and wakeboarding. Reliability, fuel consumption and just regular family boat conveniences (storage, flip over seating, transom walk through, sub floor ballast, etc...) are important in addition to performance. Ideally I wanted to stay around $100k but many of the boats we've liked are more money so the price range is all over the place. We've looked at several boats so far. The centurion Fi23 is leading the pack so far. Going to look at moomba, supra and mastercraft tomorrow. The list so far that has caught my eye or have been impressed with on the showroom floor:

1) centurion fi23- seems like it checks every box. Certain things like the use of plastic, cheap grab handles and inserts for the slide seat coil use improvement floor a 125k boat but its very impressive design.

2) Malibu 22xtz- we were looking for a 23 footer but it was roomy almost like a 23. Liked it but wasn't in love. Didn't seem as deep hull many others offer. A few comfort issues but a great boat. Found the LSV 23 to not be very comfortable.

3) supreme ZS232- a lot of bang for the buck here. Although buying this makes me question if the centurion would be worth the extra 25k for seat hinges, a nicer touch screen. Better looks and ram fill.

4) moomba max or makai- still need to look at these but lots of boat for the dollar. Not really sure I'd want to go to a 24 footer. I saw the max on the water and thought it had some strange looks. .

5) mastercraft X22- hasn't been on my radar until my dealer recommended it. Going to look at it tomorrow. Looks like it checks a lot of boxes. The mastercraft interiors are very nice and the transom seating looks awesome. Haven't seen much about how the surf wave is compared to the others. Dealer says it surfs better than the fi23 but that sounded like a bold salesperson lie. It may still be out of reach price wise and seems very expensive for a 22 footer

6) Sanger sl231- havent seen it in person yet but seems to check every box as well in a price I like. Ive had 2 sangers and wouldnt hesitste to buy a 3rd. We looked at the 212sl and thought it's been one of the most comfortable of all the boats we've seen. The surf wave in their you tube video looks great.

7) supra SL450- looks like another great boat but pricing is getting up there on these

Not really certain how some of these compare to each other or if there's another boat to look at that im missing
Old     (GoBeavs85)      Join Date: Jul 2015       07-19-2019, 5:37 PM Reply   
We rode a Supreme zs232 and fi23 last weekend. We liked the zs232 better actually. Not sure if it was just perception or different drivers having their wave setting different but the zs felt like the longest wave we’ve ever ridden. We’ve ridden many boats but never a Tige or newer Supra. That being said stepping from the swim platform to the sun pad is a giant step on the zs232. Not good for kids at all IMO.

The x22 looks impressive but I haven’t ridden it. Looking forward to hearing how the demos go and what you decide!
Old     (turbojedi)      Join Date: Jun 2013       07-20-2019, 10:20 AM Reply   
I second the supra, after that moomba
Old     (Xbigpun66)      Join Date: Aug 2016       07-20-2019, 3:13 PM Reply   
My buddy has a new x22. The surf wave is tall and long. I have heard people compare it favorably to the g23.
Old     (RPM_DLX)      Join Date: Jul 2010       07-21-2019, 1:42 PM Reply   
So after looking yesterday and today we'r have now looked at the tige, supra, mastercraft and moomba. We really liked the supra SE550 and the SL450. The moomba makai was impressive. The mastercraft line up is pretty screwy and the x22 was 150k which is ridiculous for a 22 foot boat. I would say our rank of what we've seen for our preferences are:

1) Supra SE 550
2) Supra SL 450
3) Centurion Fi23
4) moomba makai or mojo
Old     (onlyinboards)      Join Date: Oct 2014       07-22-2019, 2:40 AM Reply   
I've had an Fi23 and now have a ZS232. I loved both boats but i think i actually prefer the Supreme. I like the simple helm layout vs the larger touchscreen on the Fi. The surf wave is amazing. 2nd what was said about the large jump from the platform into the boat. Also the platform is way out of the water so it's harder for people to get in when swimming (just leave ballast in to lower the platform though).

I've had a bunch of boats and this ZS232 has me very impressed. Only things i would change to make the boat perfect are: hinged seats, a speaker by the driver, built in center cooler (like the G) and less of a drop from sunpad to platform. Add those 4 things and this boat would be 100% perfect IMO.
Old     (Shakarocks)      Join Date: Mar 2013       07-22-2019, 6:50 AM Reply   
I get to play with most of the new boat offerings each year. After this I bought an Fi23 and haven't regretted it a second. Killer wave and a nice layout. There's nothing cheap about it, even the grab handles. Mine is a pretty solid crossover boat with excellent wakeboard wake and a reasonable slalom wake for a V-drive.

I got to ride in the prototype Zs232 and it puts out a great wave. I'm not entirely sure why someone would get it when they can get a Fi for not much more. It does have some cool features and a LOT of storage. As stated above the helm is more minimalist but the rest of the interior is quite nice.

I got to play with a 2019 Tige ZX1 and it was a lot of fun. The helm is especially comfy with cool steering wheel controls. They are using GSA now and the surf wave was very good for a 21ft boat.

I also really enjoy the Supreme SL/SA boats.
Old     (hunter991)      Join Date: Jul 2016       07-23-2019, 2:48 AM Reply   
IMO, Supra and moomba. Lots of changes this year and for the better. Hanve't run into anyone disappointed yet with either for 2019. Keep in mind that if your looking at Centurion or Supreme, both nice boats, the draft is insane. 36" on some of them. If you planning to in any shallow water at any point keep that in mind. I had to rule them out this year just because my boat lift sits in about 3-4' of water.

I will say, find the best dealer first then worry about the brand. And i agree, MC is priced in the stratosphere. Awesome boats but pricing is kind of insane. But so is the G and BU.
Old     (Shakarocks)      Join Date: Mar 2013       07-23-2019, 3:44 AM Reply   
36" of draft isn't "insane". We're talking wakeboats here not ProStar 190's from the eighties. This is not an issue for 95% of wakeboat owners.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       07-23-2019, 4:54 AM Reply   
draft or freeboard?

with the prop, you're close to 30" draft on some of these. but typically deepest part of the lift. dredge your dock if it's a problem.

Who plans on driving these things in shallow water?
Old     (hunter991)      Join Date: Jul 2016       07-23-2019, 6:02 AM Reply   
many of our lakes have shallow spots. And with the 23' supreme/Cent you already at 36" draft without ballast. Thats insane and YES it is a problem for some people. How arrogant to think its not. Not all lakes are 100' deep. And we can't dredge our lake. DNR rules our state. I would bet with full ballast your close to 42" of draft on some centurions or supremes.
Old     (Shakarocks)      Join Date: Mar 2013       07-23-2019, 8:21 AM Reply   
I went through the Castle Rock Cut at Lake Powell on the first day you could get through. It was about three feet deep and my Fi23 went through with no problems.

Insane is a strange word choice considering it's a wake boat and the vast majority of wake boat owners do not have to deal with shallow water. It's a small percentage do have an issue and those folks should make an informed decision. Draft is only an issue for a small subset of wake boat owners.
Old     (hunter991)      Join Date: Jul 2016       07-24-2019, 7:39 AM Reply   
thats my point, not all of us go to lake powell. In wisc we have over 7000 bodies of water ranging in depth. I may be in one lake one week and trailer to another a different week. Having 36" of draft already takes a few lakes out for me. Much prefer 25-27" like EVERY other wake boat other than Centurion.
Old     (RPM_DLX)      Join Date: Jul 2010       07-25-2019, 7:39 AM Reply   
I'm in California and the boat would be mainly on bigger lakes where the draft isn't an issue. We are starting to focus on the budget that we want to spend. I don't think I want to go over 100k. So the top choices on my list are:

-Supreme ZS 232
-New Sanger 231SL
-Moomba Makai
-MB B52 23

I haven't seen the Sanger yet but that's looking to put a lot of bang for the buck. I like the Makai a lot but I was disappointed to see the throttle was cable actuated versus electronic. I also didn't care for how they did ballast in the rear and basically consuming the hatches. The sanger and supreme both have sub floor ballast in the back the bags can be filled or left empty if the storage is needed.
Old     (Shakarocks)      Join Date: Mar 2013       07-25-2019, 8:40 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter991 View Post
thats my point, not all of us go to lake powell. In wisc we have over 7000 bodies of water ranging in depth. I may be in one lake one week and trailer to another a different week. Having 36" of draft already takes a few lakes out for me. Much prefer 25-27" like EVERY other wake boat other than Centurion.
I'm only at Powell a few times a year. A vast majority of my time is spent on the lakes in Northern Utah. Draft informs my decision on the lakes to which I go and the lakes to which I do not. I stay away from Utah Lake but have several other better options. This is the choice for pretty much every boater around the country.Judging from what you wrote you have the same choice. For a vast majority of riders the difference between 28" of draft and 36" is negligible and a non-factor. Insane is a weird word to describe this non-factor.

8" difference in draft is really nothing considering the quality of wave and the rough water performance that are typical of Centurion boats.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       07-25-2019, 9:42 AM Reply   
Hunter, big water (deep v) boats are obviously not for you. I've never been on Powell

I boat on a fairly big lake and much prefer a good rough water ride to gaining 8" of draft. My Sanger has a pretty good draft but it's never been an issue. We had very low lake levels a few years ago. I went through 3 props that year hitting stumps and things that were normally not a problem, but that''s how you learn where not to go.

If you're regularly running aground, you need to physically mark those spots so you and others don't make the same mistake.

if you're toasting props regularly, look for a stainless prop. MUCH more resilient to objects.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       07-25-2019, 9:43 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM_DLX View Post
I'm in California and the boat would be mainly on bigger lakes where the draft isn't an issue. We are starting to focus on the budget that we want to spend. I don't think I want to go over 100k. So the top choices on my list are:

-Supreme ZS 232
-New Sanger 231SL
-Moomba Makai
-MB B52 23

I haven't seen the Sanger yet but that's looking to put a lot of bang for the buck. I like the Makai a lot but I was disappointed to see the throttle was cable actuated versus electronic. I also didn't care for how they did ballast in the rear and basically consuming the hatches. The sanger and supreme both have sub floor ballast in the back the bags can be filled or left empty if the storage is needed.
you gonna demo a 231?
Old     (RPM_DLX)      Join Date: Jul 2010       07-25-2019, 2:35 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd1 View Post
you gonna demo a 231?
Yes, as soon as I can. Ive been in touch with Sanger and Fresno will have one next week and my local dealer bere in Rancho Cordova should get theirs in 3 weeks. The red one featured on their website went to a dealer in Montana. They are just now rolling out from the factory.

Surf wave looks good.
https://www.facebook.com/sangerboats...9217307273721/
Old     (CALIV210)      Join Date: Jun 2015       07-26-2019, 7:21 AM Reply   
I really hope you Demo the 231 as I would love to hear the real world impression of it . Dont balk at the MB boats either maybe I'm stupid but I really like those boats . lol Good luck in your search .
Old     (SoulSurfer)      Join Date: Oct 2016       07-26-2019, 11:44 AM Reply   
Glad to see the MB on your list. All of the boats you've named are awesome, really, but MB is worth considering since it sounds like you are in CA. I can say that we've loved ours. Certainly not as fancy/techy as a lot of other brands, but solidly built boats that throw excellent surf waves.
Old     (RPM_DLX)      Join Date: Jul 2010       07-26-2019, 4:04 PM Reply   
One of the first 231sl sangers to be for sale. Looks nice.

https://semperspeedandmarine.com/Pow...6-aa93017fbbd2
Old     (C)      Join Date: Jul 2018       08-19-2019, 4:06 AM Reply   
Did you buy a boat yet?
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       08-19-2019, 4:14 AM Reply   
231 has 5300 lbs stock! that's awesome