Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (07vlx)      Join Date: Apr 2012       03-04-2014, 7:27 AM Reply   
I have an Alpine CDA-9886M head unit and the older version WS420. At the end of the season last year when I would link to another boat through the boat link on the 420 my head unit subwoofer eq would automatically drop to -4. After adjusting the eq on the head unit back to flat the volume of my stereo would be cut in half even with the volume all the way up. I suspect the problem is in the head unit but wanted to hear from the experts what you think and if there is a way to test which one the culprit could be or both.
Old     (DavidAnalog)      Join Date: Sep 2013       03-04-2014, 9:39 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by 07vlx View Post
I have an Alpine CDA-9886M head unit and the older version WS420. At the end of the season last year when I would link to another boat through the boat link on the 420 my head unit subwoofer eq would automatically drop to -4. After adjusting the eq on the head unit back to flat the volume of my stereo would be cut in half even with the volume all the way up. I suspect the problem is in the head unit but wanted to hear from the experts what you think and if there is a way to test which one the culprit could be or both.
While anything is possible, if something is changing inside the HU then that would appear to be independent of the EQ.
A common thread could be low voltage. The HU is loaded with microprocessors and they get wiggy with low voltage.
So I would make sure that the HU and EQ share a good gauge + supply and a good gauge - ground that are terminated at the same points, which would be at or near the primary terminals of the amplifiers.
Then I would have a multimeter handy to check the voltage at the HU and EQ terminals (not at the battery or dash meter) real time if the problem occurs again.
Exhausted batteries have a habit of showing up with voltage issues at the end of the day toward the end of the season. If you are playing the system at rest for a long duration then you MUST supplement your boat's charging system with AC shore charging.
Old     (07vlx)      Join Date: Apr 2012       03-04-2014, 10:48 AM Reply   
David,
The original owner of the boat actually had this system installed by Earmark back in 2010. I checked the voltage at the 420 and HU where they are spliced together and the voltage is good. The system runs off 4 group 31 Sams specials and after the eq went crazy the system still played all day. This happened more than once towards the end of the season but couldn't figure out the cause. The system is charged by 2 promariner 20amp chargers.
Old     (DavidAnalog)      Join Date: Sep 2013       03-04-2014, 11:32 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by 07vlx View Post
David,
The original owner of the boat actually had this system installed by Earmark back in 2010. I checked the voltage at the 420 and HU where they are spliced together and the voltage is good. The system runs off 4 group 31 Sams specials and after the eq went crazy the system still played all day. This happened more than once towards the end of the season but couldn't figure out the cause. The system is charged by 2 promariner 20amp chargers.
Things age and fail, especially in a tow boat.
The damage caused by a one time water exposure can come and go.
The voltage should be checked while the stereo system is under load, not just while static.
If it only happens when linked to another boat then, while this is very thin, it could be caused by a voltage differential between the two boats....I'm trying to think how that circuit would actually be completed. If when linked boat to boat is the only time it happens then try converting from 3.5mm to RCA & back and introduce a standard ground loop isolator into the link. This would totally eliminate any DC junction between the boats.