Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (jelico)      Join Date: Jun 2010       06-13-2010, 3:02 PM Reply   
Hi everyone,

Just recently bought into my first proper wakeboard boat (not an outboard).. a Sport Nautique.

Boat is currently set up with the flight control tower and the standard 5.8l PCM engine and about 1400 lbs of ballast (700KG) plumbed in.

I have been experimenting with weight up to about 2800 lbs, 1300KG and the wake is good but not epic yet. Wondering if anyone has this boat and has the wake set up to be massive. Especially interested to see what sort of front/back weight distribution people have been running.

Was thinking of putting the fly high fat seat int he back (1400 lbs) and the integrated bow seat in the front (900 lbs) along with a ski locker sack (400 lbs) and some lead. Total approx 3200 lbs (1500KG) depending on how full the sacs get.

I want to get a wake that is as big as possible without becoming un-usable (i.e. hard to drive, expensive to run)..

Prop has been re-pitched down so should get out of the hole OK.
Old     (RidingTheNW)      Join Date: Apr 2010       06-13-2010, 3:15 PM Reply   
The cool thing about Nautiques is that they don't need a ton of weight to have a killer wake. A Nautique is going to have a steeper wake then other boats, so I would stay away from putting a ton of weight in the back. With a direct drive, you want to the most weight in the center of the boat on the sides of the engine box. I used to have a 1988 Ski Nautique 2001 boat and I weighted it with 540lb fat sacs on both sides of the motor box, a 300lb sack in the back, and 200 lbs of lead in the bow. With a Sport Nautique you might be able to put more weight on the sides like 700 lb bags. After you slam the center of the boat, play with the weight in the front and back until you get the wake just how you want it. You need weight in the front to make the bow stay down when you come up on plane. I would put weight in the ski locker and in the bow first, then see how much you need to add in the back.
Old     (jelico)      Join Date: Jun 2010       06-13-2010, 11:38 PM Reply   
cheers for the advice. We had two 250L in the sides, 200l in the locker, 300l in the front and about another 300 in the back plus lead. Boat felt balanced to drive but probably could have taken more in the rear to steepen the wake. I have also head of people adding wake gate type things to the hull to take off the "vert" when you really load them...

Anyone else sacked their Sport to the max?
Old    mojo            06-14-2010, 12:40 AM Reply   
the rear seat sac should do it
Old     (alcarlaw1)      Join Date: Jun 2007       07-04-2010, 12:08 PM Reply   
we run around 200kg lead hidden under the back seats in our '97, then a pair of side sacs (approx 130kg ea) running down the side of the engine as far aft as possible and finally a centre ballast sac filled to the brim in the central ski locker. I've never felt the need to add any ballast up in the bow, in fact adding a little more to the stern gives the sport a very nice wake indeed.
Any more weight to the boat would be a pain, you are pretty much guaranteed to wash over the stern when you come off the plane unless you are very careful. I think adding the kind of weight you are taking about will be less than desirable, why do you need a wake so big, it's all about the shape of the wake and loading the line anyway....
Old     (jelico)      Join Date: Jun 2010       07-05-2010, 4:15 AM Reply   
We are running in the salt so probably need more weight to get the size we are looking for. The boat is owned by four young guys who only wakeboard, so a big wake is our number 1 priority.

Went out on saturday and got the wake close to how we want it. Wake was pretty good, nice shape and size. This is the set up:

200l in the ski locker (FULL - floor boards popping up).
450l in the nose
340l in the middle of the back
250l either side of the 340l in the rear (total 500l)
150Kg of lead under the 340 in the back
80l brick sack in front of the engine.
Total approx 1770KG (3790 pounds) plus two guys in the boat.

Rode at 83 feet and 24/25 mph. Could have probably ridden a lot longer but thats what we had with us at the time. Revs were around 3600 which felt quite high, but the carb is getting rebuilt this week so this might change.

Pretty happy with the wake at that set up but will probably run slightly less weight most of the time to keep the ballast set up simple and quick, plus not run the engine too hard. The prop has been pitched down but not all the way.

Shape was very good and the wake was nice and firm at the speed we were running. If anyone else wants to sack a sport Nautique all the way for salt this is definitely a nice set up - all the weight in the nose takes a lot of the bite out of the steep wake but keeps it big.

Still some fine tuning to go but I am pretty happy with progress - landed my first crow mobe during my 2nd set at this setup! Cant be too bad!
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       07-05-2010, 5:56 AM Reply   
That is a lot of weight for that hull. If the wake was clean, you're not going to be able to get it much bigger. Keep inexperienced drivers away form the helm and stay away from rough water with that setup.

3600 RPM sounds about right to me for that setup. A carb rebuild won't do anything for that.
Old     (jelico)      Join Date: Jun 2010       07-11-2010, 12:03 AM Reply   
I think we have a winner! Rode the sport nautique in glass today. Had the fat seat plumbed in, 200L in the ski locker, 340L in the nose, 200KG of lead beside the engine and an extra 80L just in front of the engine. TOTAL 1520 KG. Wake was big, nice shape and felt great at 83' and 23.5-24mph. I thing this is a great day to day wake - perfect for most days riding in the salt. If you wanted it massive you could add a 250l sack or a few extra bods.

STOKED!