Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (skibumdan)      Join Date: Apr 2003       06-27-2010, 9:00 AM Reply   
Hey , I slalom and my boys wakeboard. We have a Malibu response.... we want more room. I like the Response FXI . i think it is the the hull of a Sunsetter . i would like to get an older sunsetter and customize it to make it unque. Would the sunsetter with a wedge make a good wake? We went out in a Mastercraft X-10 . It throws a huge wake. i hate the porpoising and higher speed.
What do you think about the sunsetter of response FXI ?
Old     (brycejb328)      Join Date: Aug 2009       06-27-2010, 9:30 AM Reply   
I've got a 1997 sunsetter, been riding it with about 1400 lbs ballast, it can take more. Wake is nice, I'm not a great rider but I know people who are and they like the wake. Jason on here might chime in on this. He is a advanced rider and had his loaded up with wedge.
Old     (skibumdan)      Join Date: Apr 2003       06-27-2010, 10:32 AM Reply   
How is the slalom wake at 34mph?
Old     (jason95gt)      Join Date: May 2006       06-27-2010, 5:00 PM Reply   
I have got an 04 23' Sunsetter XTI with 94hours for sale and it has an extremely flat wake at 34 and with the wedge and some weight has a good wakeboarding wake. Let me know if you are interested.
Old     (snowslider76)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-28-2010, 8:14 AM Reply   
I had a 2000 Sunsetter LXI (the one Bryce is talking about) and loved the wakeboard wake. I rode it with 1200lbs front and 1200lbs rear with the wedge down. If I had more people in the boat I had to let some of the weight out of the back, I didn't like pulling the wedge up because I liked the way it shaped the wake. I really dug that wake shape with that much weight and actually miss it sometimes. With that weight the wake is pretty huge, far beyound what beginners need. Just make sure you run your weight even front and back if you're using the wedge. 600/600 is going to get you a really decent wake. If you run the 2400lbs like I did you for sure have to prop down to get the boat to plain.

I only skied the boat twice in the time I had it but the ski wake is great at 30 and 35, super flat. I sold it to a skier and he loves the ski wake.

The surf wake is so so, it's not that big will just wash out if you over do it on the ballast. Also the gas tank vent is on the port side so I always had to tape that up when surfing to keep water out of the tank.

Only downfall of the boat is running it slammed you really run out of seating fast.
Old     (nogoodbutIlikeit)      Join Date: Jul 2010       07-09-2010, 11:15 AM Reply   
Just make sure you get a sunsetter without the Diamond V hull. If you get one with it no matter what you do the wake will only be very average.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       07-09-2010, 12:16 PM Reply   
Dan, like people have said the older one's have 2 different hulls. The diamond(slalom) and the wake hull. The Sunsetter LX has the wake hull and the Sunsetter LXi has the Diamond hull. Both are great boats and both have their place. If the short line slalom wake is more important to you go with the LXi, if the wakeboard wake is more important to you get the LX. I recently got to ride behind a 2005 Ride XTi which has the same hull as the sunsetter LX and I loved the wakeboard wake. We had nothing more than the wedge down, 400-500 front/center ballast and 5 or 6 people in the boat. It had pretty good size for that much weight and was super clean and solid. Not from personal experience but from hearing what people say the LXi will still throw a pretty good wakeboard wake, it just needs more weight.

What are you looking to spend on the boat. In Seattle there is a guy selling an 05 Iride for 29k. I am pretty sure the guy in on wakeworld, or use to be and he slalom's and wakeboards. The 05 i-ride has the same hull as the Sunsetter LX.
Old     (bkey79)      Join Date: May 2010       07-09-2010, 12:40 PM Reply   
Just sold my 96 Sunsetter.. Really kinda miss that boat as my Nauti has been in the shop since I bought it..

Here's the surf wave. Wedge down, about 1300lbs of ballast and 400lbs of lead.

Same setup, only 2 people in the boat.