Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       02-26-2014, 9:57 AM Reply   
What a Bunch of CRAP.

These were the headlines of local news reports. Talk about stretching the truth. King city police (a community filled with migrant field workers) are accused of targeting UN LICENSED Latino drivers.

Here is the pre-story. Illegal aliens here in California are not allowed to get a California Drivers license. With out a license your not allowed to get insurance or register your car. So you can bet if you get hit by a Latino guy (in certain parts of california) driving with out a license he doesn't have insurance and you know what happens from this point.

Cops out here have been instructed to Impound the cars of drivers with out a license and insurance. (this makes seance to me)

Well the Un licensed Latino community know's the game and they for the most part Don't buy expensive car's because they know they can get Impounded and fees can quickly add up. For them it's a gamble they buy a cheep car's and if it gets impounded O well on to the next. Its a constant Cat and Mouse game. Well I guess the King City police department is Now accused of making a profit from this practice.

NOW I don't know all the details But I just thought the Headline was Very Misleading.

My thoughts are this. If you entered this country illegally that dosent give you the right to Drive.
I think removing illegal drivers from our roads is the Police's Job and just because you fit the profile don't cry racial profiling and suddenly your labeled "disadvantaged" how about calling a duck a duck. something like this "Illegal aliens driving illegally in California get there cars impounded"

http://www.montereyherald.com/news/c...icers-arrested
Old    bigdtx            02-26-2014, 10:48 AM Reply   
I read the article and it looks like they have a pretty clear cut case of official corruption. Just because you don't like the victim doesn't mean it's not a crime.
The chief's brother owns the towing company and they get 90% of the towing calls when they're supposed to get only 25%? And they tracked the title transfers and found the cars going to the cops rather than a salvage yard or various buyers at auction. Looks to me like the cops were a combination of greedy, stupid, and corrupt. What a surprise for a small-town police force.
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       02-26-2014, 10:53 AM Reply   
Corrupt white cops are AOK. LOL
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       02-26-2014, 11:33 AM Reply   
What I was protesting to was the news agency's calling " Illegals driving Illegally" here in the us
disadvantaged Latinos
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       02-26-2014, 12:27 PM Reply   
It's typical of how the media brings in readers. The headlines rarely match the true story. Dumb corrupt police force, and dumb newspaper editor.
You're such a racist grant. Haha.
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       02-26-2014, 12:40 PM Reply   
I have a few things to say about this.
1: They do not have the right to drive. Driving is not a right anyway, it is a privilege, one they have not earned. I believe they should be cited to come to court for their infractions. If they do not come to court or pay the fines a warrant gets issued for their arrest. This is normal procedure most places. If when they are arrested and processed, they are found to be in this country illegally, deport them. In some places you can be arrested for driving without a license. The same procedure should apply with that as well.
2: Yes, it's a ethics problem if he's giving his brother all the business for the tows.
3: The title transfers kinda make sense. If they impound a car, it goes to auction. A police auction. If an officer bids and wins the vehicle, it would be transferred into his name. A lot of places do not go through the huge hassle, cost, and time sink to do a title transfer to a salvage yard or auction house. If it is found that there are no other buyers besides officers, or no auctions are actually being held, or some other practice like having the auctions at 3 am inside the police impound yard on a Tuesday where only officers are informed and a public bulletin posted at the bottom of a trash can at city hall. Then ya, something is wrong there. But obviously police know about what cars are picked up for impound in their lot and when they're going to auction and can make it a point to be there to bid on the ones they want.
4: If they are "targeting" them, GOOD! They need to be deported anyway. If they are actually sending them out of this country, then more power to them. If they are just using them as a money mill, well they need to stop and get their real priorities straight and turn them over to INS.
Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       02-26-2014, 1:08 PM Reply   
^ +1
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       02-26-2014, 2:36 PM Reply   
The whole Impound and tow business is a shady business IMO. Even when it's a legit legal tow and tow company's on the up and up you feel like your getting raped because you pretty much are! They have your car and if you want it back you shut up and pay up!

Most of the time when your car get's Impounded the Impound yard will not give you the car back unless these items are met

#1 Your the Registered Owner. (This is a problem for most illegals because they don't register or can't register cars in their name) and by the time they could get a Legit person to place the car in their name Via DMV it could be week's
#2 Proof of Insurance. ( Illegals Can't get Insurance)
#3 Any and all fines are due.

Then on top of that you have to pay the Tow fee and any storage fee's. So the Illegals know once the Police have your car its pretty much GONE. They know the game and the risk's Involved and they play it.
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       02-26-2014, 2:52 PM Reply   
G,
#1 They are driving illegal cars, no sympathy there. You and I pay our licensing and registration taxes and fees. It supports things like traffic safety, road improvements and repairs, etc.
#2 Driving uninsured is a crime in most states. I sure wouldn't want to be in an accident with someone who didn't have insurance. Some states have mandatory uninsured/underinsured coverage, so if this does happen you have some coverage. However in a normal accident, they're insurance pays for it, and then if their limits are maxed yours kicks in. For uninsured you are going off yours straight away and have less protection, if you don't have it and someone who is uninsured hits you, you're screwed, even though you are doing your part. Once again, no sympathy for them losing their uninsured cars.
#3 If they had met the first 2 requirements you listed and had a legal license they wouldn't be in that situation of having it impounded for those reasons.

I think if the police did what they should do and start handing these people over to the immigration when they found and detained someone here they would probably think twice. How it is now, it's more like a game to them, buy a cheap car, get pulled over, lose the car, repeat.
They should not be on the road. They should not be in the country. At least the police there are doing something about one of those problems.
Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       02-26-2014, 3:16 PM Reply   
Again ^ +1
Old     (Dmac420sj)      Join Date: Mar 2012       02-26-2014, 3:45 PM Reply   
Ya...we need them.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       02-27-2014, 8:17 AM Reply   
Love it. Now the cops are being accused of "targeting" people that are breaking the law. God forbid!
Old     (DenverRider)      Join Date: Feb 2013       02-27-2014, 8:31 AM Reply   
The tow business is shady when you aren't an illegal as well. If your car is towed from an accident scene for instance:

#1 The tow fee is double to triple what you would pay if you called the tow truck yourself.
#2 The impound yard will only take cash for the tow and storage where as a non corrupt tow company would take a credit card.

If you can manage to separate the illegal aliens part from the police corruption part you would realize that this is about more than illegal aliens. It's about police making a profit from ALL of us in a corrupt manor. We all have the potential to make a mistake and cause a traffic accident. How much extra do you want to pay for towing and impound when it's your car? It may be a cost that you only see in higher insurance premiums as I imagine most of us have full coverage but I grew up poor and made some minor driving mistakes when I was young that cost me a fortune in towing fees. My kids may only have liability coverage when they start driving depending on what car they have and how much insurance costs. I don't want corrupt police raping them with towing fees if they have a car accident.

Last edited by DenverRider; 02-27-2014 at 8:32 AM. Reason: spelling