Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 29, 2009

Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       05-06-2009, 7:57 AM Reply   
Folks I need some info.
What are your opinions on Side mounted Hydro Hoist's? Are those side walkways on top of the tanks legit/sturdy/cool to walk on?

How easy is it to clean your boat on the side that isnt on the dockside - thus standing on those walkways to wipe down the boat bow to stern?

Im planning on making an offer on a house where the dock is connected to the neighbors dock(he has a U and I have an L) - and my only option for a hydrohoist is the side mounted one. I cant get a U for myself. SO this is the only option.

Im SUPER anal about my boat - so I spray and wipe it down after every use - so I need to know if this will be somewhat difficult with this type of hoist - or its no prob at all.

This is the deal breaker for me on this house. If the hoist situation is all good. Im making the offer asap. Thanks for your input.
Old     (tj_in_kc)      Join Date: Jan 2008       05-06-2009, 9:08 AM Reply   
Migs, look at my profile picture. I assume the type of lift I have is what you are talking about. My dock has a giant U that is a single slip that's real wide with no divider. I share the west side with my neighbor, I have the east side.

Wiping down the west side (side w/o the catwalk) is something i do all the time, i wipe the BU down after everytime we use it. It is tricky on that side, and a bit of a tight rope walk. I always take my cell and iPod out of my pockets just in case, but knock wood I have never fallen in. Grip the boat with your left arm, wrapping it around the sidewall/gunnel and wipe with your right hand.

If you are fairly young, and in decent shape it should be just fine, and I wouldn't anticipate any problems.

http://www.wakeworld.com/cgi-bin/Discus4/board-profile.cgi?action=view_profile&profile=tj_in_kc-users
Old     (wake1823)      Join Date: Dec 2005       05-06-2009, 9:11 AM Reply   
I take it this is the first time living on water?

If your store your boat on the water, be prepared for it to get trashed. All metal will oxidize much faster, gel will be subject to direct sun. Even with a cover, and roof. don't get me started on bugs...lol.

If your really particular about your boat, get covered dry storage.
Old     (tj_in_kc)      Join Date: Jan 2008       05-06-2009, 9:15 AM Reply   
i disagree with Sam. There is no problem storing your boat on the water/on a lift. Millions of people do it. Nearly everyone on my lake does it. In fact, I'd venture to say that once you have a house with a dock its sooo much less headache not having to launch it everytime you want to use it you'd never go back to storing it in your garage.

Use your CC cover, everything will be fine. You aren't on the ocean are you?
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       05-06-2009, 9:43 AM Reply   
Migs- I am assuming your putting an offer on a house here in Disco based upon your profile and info in your post. So... hers the deal with disco.....
First to answer your question, No its not a big deal to keep the boat clean with a side mount hoist. I know plenty of people that have this deal with the bunks on the side for walking. They are plenty supportive to be able to clean the boat. The problem I have run into it actually wiping down the bottom part of the hull in the front on the side where the dock is not on. You can get it clean, just requires a bit of a reach. Other than that its not much harder to get the job done than in a U-dock.

Now on to the rest. Its not as bad as Sam makes it sound. Keeping your boat on a hoist does take a bit more work than it would storing it in say your garage to keep it clean, However not having to deal with launching it everytime and the storage issue its about a wash. It is very possible to keep your boat looking great. Being able to pull up to the house and not have to go to the launch and then go home is great. However, If you decide not to opt for a water front house, dry storage at orwood is second to none. Come and go as you please, very private, and there are units with power to charge your batteries and vacum if needed. Both options are great. Right now I personally dont know which way I would go if I owned a boat. Probably dock in the summer and storage in the winter

(Message edited by westsidarider on May 06, 2009)
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       05-06-2009, 9:50 AM Reply   
Tj - looks like you have a front mount lift - but same issue of tight roping the one side to wipe down the side thats not on the dockside. I just spoke with the lift sales person - and says that the "sidewalk" thats ontop of the tank is super solid and easy to walk on. I expect him to say that - just trying to get real owners thoughts. Thanks for the info - definately helps. - so when you walk on the bar on the side - does the boat move at all - up and dow with your extra weight??? or is it like walking on a solid bar???

Sam - yes first time livin on the water - its not salt water though. CA delta - dry strage not an option - I already do that now. I want my boat on the dock. thus if this side hoist will be troublesome, then ill look for another property.
Old     (tj_in_kc)      Join Date: Jan 2008       05-06-2009, 9:55 AM Reply   
no it's solid, no movement. I'm about 180. that little weight in comparison to a 3000lb boat the lift doesn't even notice i'm walking on it. jason is right getting the portion under the bow is a little tricky to reach w/o falling in, but you are young, it won't be an issue. installing runners or sidewalks sounds neat and doable, although i don't have trouble to the point i'd spend money for that.

it's really not that big of deal.
Old     (kickflip_mj)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-06-2009, 10:00 AM Reply   
im with jason, i live on the water in disco and idealy it would be great to finish the dock and make a U shape... and after a home purchase that might be the last thing you want to do... the dock cover roof thing( obviously i forgot the name) work great all year long but* really good with the screens that hang down.. around the boat.. it keeps alot of the dust out.

now with the side mount docks its easy to clean one side but sometimes its a pain in the ass to clean the other side.. but it can be done. you can get the cover and the screens also..

if it were me i would go to the marina and go to fat cat sales where they sell the hoists get a quote on each lift. from what i remember the u shaped ones are cheaper and if that is the case finish the dock and be done with it. i might even help for beer and pizza:-)

i have dry storage for the winter at orwoods which is great because i dont have the roof over my boat.. thats key for winter.
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       05-06-2009, 10:02 AM Reply   
jason - yup disco.
thanks also for the info. I was thinkin about that as well regarding the underneath part of the bow on the other side(water side) will be a stretch - but doable(i hope!!).
ill only have the boat out on the dock during riding season mar-dec - winter shell be back at the house in mateo. Just want the house on the water already with the boat waiting on the dock - tired of trailering and driving back and forth all the time.
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       05-06-2009, 11:05 AM Reply   
Yea it is somewhat troublesome to reach that one area but it can be done. Typically i hang from the bow with one hand and stand on the front of the walkway, hoist frame or the actual float and clean with the other hand. A long handled brush comes in handy for cleaning and makes it a breeze but just gotta be a little limber to wipe it dry. Just make sure you get a hoist with enough weight capacity so that it doesnt sink when you start loading gear. Usually the 3500 to 4000 pounder will do it unless you start loading in lead.
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       05-06-2009, 11:31 AM Reply   
talked to Fat Cat - looks like my sidehoist will be rated at 4500. So looks good. NOW hope everything else falls into place. Really wished the dock area on this property was better - like a nice U for me and another for a buddy or visitor - but this one - all it has space for is my one side - which kinda sucks - but in reality all i gotta make sure is i got a spot for the san.
There are others that have sweet docks and space but dumpers for a house. This one, the house is super nice and ready to go - just the dock situation isnt choice - 3 houses in a corner pinched docks... But itll do.
hope it all works out.