Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 01, 2004

Old     (jwag)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-29-2004, 8:14 AM Reply   
The old thread is archived so here we go again. I've been busy finishing this:
jeep
Here's what it looks like after 3-4 layers of fiberglass and 2 gallons of resin:
marglas
marglas2
Old     (jwag)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-29-2004, 8:21 AM Reply   
You can't really tell from the pics but the shape really started to come around. Lessons learned: The cheap resin and glass mat at boaters world is way better than the stuff sold at NAPA. Less air bubbles and lays down real well. If you can have a buddy help you lay down the stuff it goes alot faster. More pics to come soon.
Old    whitechocolate            06-29-2004, 8:36 AM Reply   
Jan: Is that your garage the Rock Crawler is in or @ your buddys shop??? Also do you have glass edge that wraps around the edge of the back side to the front side. It looks like the back side where the speakers mount dosent have a glass edge where it meets the front.
Old     (jwag)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-29-2004, 9:06 AM Reply   
My garage :-) You are right, the glass doesnt wrap around the front. The faceplate was cutout on the backside to account for the thickness of the grillclothe and glass mat. The grillclothe is then stapled to the board where the cutout was made. At least that is how Alpine does it; I don't really know what I am doing, I just look at pictures and do the same thing, lol.
Old     (tlb)      Join Date: Feb 2003       06-29-2004, 11:40 AM Reply   
Looks good man, can't wait to see the finished product. I like the shape of it. What are you putting in it?
Old     (jwag)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-29-2004, 11:53 AM Reply   
1200 watts into 6 Pioneer ts6980's :-)

the box will most likely be black, maybe some silver pearl to match the grills
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-29-2004, 9:48 PM Reply   
I've got the TS-6980's on my tower, you are going to be stoked they CRANK.
Old    spicoli            06-30-2004, 12:16 PM Reply   
nice rig, real nice, f-the tower, finish the rig, i sold my tj to buy my boat, and i love my boat, but, with gas prices, i miss the tj. the box looks killer though.
Old     (jwag)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-01-2004, 9:42 AM Reply   
more bondo, getting closer. mental note: when making a speaker box, curves are a p.i.t.a.
bondo1
bondo2
bondo3
Old     (boarder1995)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-01-2004, 11:44 AM Reply   
Any thoughts on bondo and its flexibility? If the box flexes due to speaker pressure waves, will the bondo crack? Just a though - I have no experience in this. Looks good!

Definitely finish the rockcrawler! That looks like a beast of a project vehicle. What are the future plans for the completed truck? Engine, axles, t-case and final drive ratios, give some details!
Old     (jwag)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-01-2004, 12:07 PM Reply   
to be honest, i doubt the box will flex enough to crack the bondo. we'll see. if you follow any of alpines build up's they use tons of bondo in cars that see way more vibrations than this thing will. like i said, i dont know what i am doing, i just look at the pictures. so far it has taken about 12hrs total working time(over a few months, lol) and a few hundred bucks, so if you want a custom box and are willing to wait it'll cost you more than what is out there now. i definitely think the next one;if there is one, will go better.

The rig is done, just needs to be tested and painted :-) I built it for a friend.

Dana 60's with ARB's and 5:13's, 4 wheel full hydraulic steering, superior axles and CTM's on 38.5"tsl sx's for now
16" sway a way coil overs, 4link front and rear
4.3l vortec,700r4,4:1 atlas
obviously it has a full cage that was done by me, the back half of the jeep was cut off and tubed
there are more pics here, but not updated http://www.wagelaarfamily.com/index.php?p=6
Old     (tuneman)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-02-2004, 5:44 AM Reply   
That looks heavy. Here's a little tip if you do another one: I assume you started with a wood frame and then wrapped fiberglass around it to get the proper shape. For the first layer, use grill cloth instead of fiberglass. Stretch the grill cloth tight and stapel it down. This will give you a good shape without much bondo. Then reinforce the cloth with fiberglass in the inside.
Old     (jwag)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-02-2004, 7:07 AM Reply   
tuneman, that's exactly what I did except the fiberglass is on the outside. The old thread is here: http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/65921/105278.html?1080833096
Old     (jwag)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-08-2004, 10:40 AM Reply   
First coat of primer:
primerbot

front
Old     (twakess)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-08-2004, 12:00 PM Reply   
Nice jan w, btw what kind of primer did you use on it?
Old     (wakejunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-08-2004, 7:28 PM Reply   
You just shooting that thing in your garage? Are you worried about dust and such getting on it?
Also, are you going to use automotive paint and clear?

Chris
Get the Grip you Deserve
www.wakejunky.com
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       07-08-2004, 11:40 PM Reply   
Jan, what did you use to bend the tubing? I am about to buy a tubing bender myself, to add/redo my rollcage.

We are hitting Fordyce Creek up on Monday :-)
Old     (jwag)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-09-2004, 7:25 AM Reply   
Squid, the primer is Evercoat Feather Fill. Seems to go on ok. Back in the day we used to use a combination of PPG DP40 and K200. Very good stuff. It's just a speaker box, not a concourse car.
Wakejunky, Yeah I am spraying it in the garage(don't tell the city) You can get great results if you pay attention to the details. I set up a mini booth by using tarps and use a fan to suck the air out and wet everything down before spraying. Its just primer right now though so I am not too worried with particles; they will get sanded out.
Peter, Awesome profile pic; the slabs at loon lake I gather. The bender is a JD2 model 3 that I modified to hydraulic, here's a pic:
smallbender
If you are in San Jose let me know; I'd be happy to show you. Always good to have a friend at Snap On :-) Wish I was going to Fordyce with you. You can check out the board at pirate4x4.com for a ton of info on benders and such.

Thanks everyone for the comments :-)
Old    whitechocolate            07-09-2004, 7:35 AM Reply   
K-200. Man thoes were the day's, That was some thick ass primer.

Jan: it looks good, Your going to do it black right. It should look great.

I saw a tower box on a Sanger this weekend at Havasu. It was crazy it had 6 -6x9's shooting back 4 shooting down and 4 shooting forward. It was pumpin pretty good.
Old     (twakess)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-12-2004, 12:02 PM Reply   
haha ya I loved the k-200. The feather fill is
good also. I haven't seen it shrink at all like some of the other new stuff. If you know what k-200 is dose that mean your old .
Old     (jwag)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-15-2004, 9:25 AM Reply   
And its done!
blackbot
blacktop
blacktop

There are a couple of sags, not really runs but overall it painted very well for not having painted anything in 12 years. The perfectionist in me wants to sand them out but the practical guy realizes nobody will notice but myself because they are behind the tubes in the tower.
Old     (jwag)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-15-2004, 9:28 AM Reply   
oh yeah, thats not my garage, it's my friends spray booth. I would never paint in my garage cause thats illegal :-)
Old    whitechocolate            07-15-2004, 12:00 PM Reply   
Jan: Its done when its hanging on your tower playing music.
you would be suprised how much work is left. Its hard to tell from the photos because black hides the lines but it looks great Nice Job

BTW: Jan would never do anything that was Illegal
Old     (twakess)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-16-2004, 9:12 AM Reply   
Jan, looks great. Now come on sand the sags out. You know they are there and its gonna drive you nuts.
Old     (gherk)      Join Date: Aug 2001       07-17-2004, 1:32 AM Reply   
Don't listen to Squid, he is a tweaker. It looks good. Show us some pics when you get it mounted with speakers.
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       07-17-2004, 4:38 PM Reply   
Jan, the speaker box looks great, post an installed picture please.

That is the same tubing bender I was planning on along with the same tubing notcher.

We had a great time at Fordyce. With our "little Jeeps" the trail is pretty challenging. Mine went pretty much everywhere I put it and walked right up winch hill 1.
Scrappy going up winch hill 1
Scrappy getting squeezed
Old     (jwag)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-17-2004, 8:08 PM Reply   
Peter, Holy shiat! awesome high hooder. I love it. Don't worry my scrambler only has 35's too!