Articles
   
       
Pics/Video
       
Wake 101
   
       
       
Shop
Search
 
 
 
 
 
Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Share 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old     (Cpohl)      Join Date: Feb 2016       02-20-2016, 5:11 PM Reply   
Hi guys I'm looking for a new cable board and i don't know which one to pick with bindings I have been looking at the 2015 union with webb boots and low cut system or the team bindings other options are unlimited pretty much just looking for some help and i don't mind other companies like slingshot thanks guys much appreciation
Old     (chadtaylor07)      Join Date: Sep 2015       02-20-2016, 5:18 PM Reply   
Slingshot is the only company that warranties their boards if you are going to hit sliders, kickers, etc. good boards.
Old     (Cpohl)      Join Date: Feb 2016       02-20-2016, 6:45 PM Reply   
thanks but how is their feeling i have only ridden lf and hyperlite and I ride at wakenation cincy where graeme burress johnnie paul and gunther oaka ride so still not sure
Old     (tweeder)      Join Date: Aug 2015       02-22-2016, 2:46 PM Reply   
Sorry for the thread highjack.

Looks like Denver will finally be getting a cable park this summer. That means I am now in the market for a new setup. I have been riding boat for a long time but never have ridden cable. I don't have any tricks in my bag yet but I am looking to change that.

Could you guys recommend me a board that will
-Be affordable (I prefer something that is one or two model years old to save cash)
-be something I can hit kickers or sliders with
- Something that has a lot of pop and is buttery.

My current board is a Liquid Force S4 (2012 model) and I absolutely love it.
Old     (chrishopf)      Join Date: Sep 2007       02-22-2016, 6:03 PM Reply   
I would highly suggest checking out Blank Boards!!

Old     (Wakeska89)      Join Date: Jan 2011       02-23-2016, 5:38 AM Reply   
I came off riding a 138 S4 on boat and feel right at home on my 140 Deluxe. I've also heard from quite a few people now that the new Hyperlite wishbone is a pretty sweet ride.
Old     (chillinoj)      Join Date: May 2009       02-23-2016, 1:06 PM Reply   
To the op, I love having the systems for cable bindings quick in and out, I get the right fit for every lap, get better traction on any terrain around the park and dont burn my feet on hot concrete. only downside is swimming in boots is a pain. As for boards i'm also slingshot fan, I love the wood cores they just hold up so much better and my shredtown feels like its bulletproof and takes everything I throw at it.

tweeder, if I remember correctly the s4 had molded in fins? I did love that board for boat, but you'll want something completely different if you're riding cable consistently.
Old     (Jmaxymek)      Join Date: Feb 2012       02-23-2016, 1:35 PM Reply   
Be aware if you're going to mix and match system bindings as they have changed slightly year to year. I've noticed that 2015 boots don't fit well in the 2016 bindings. I think the boots got bigger/thicker this year and the bindings are bigger to accommodate that.
Old     (tweeder)      Join Date: Aug 2015       02-23-2016, 4:16 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillinoj View Post
To the op, I love having the systems for cable bindings quick in and out, I get the right fit for every lap, get better traction on any terrain around the park and dont burn my feet on hot concrete. only downside is swimming in boots is a pain. As for boards i'm also slingshot fan, I love the wood cores they just hold up so much better and my shredtown feels like its bulletproof and takes everything I throw at it.

tweeder, if I remember correctly the s4 had molded in fins? I did love that board for boat, but you'll want something completely different if you're riding cable consistently.
What should I be looking for in a cable specific board? The Hyperlite Franchise Flex (14 model) has caught my eyes. Any opinions on that board?

Wakeska89- The deluxe is a hybrid board right? Would I be giving up anything having a board that is built for boat and cable purposes?

Last edited by tweeder; 02-23-2016 at 4:19 PM. Reason: **
Old     (tarek)      Join Date: Jun 2011       02-23-2016, 4:44 PM Reply   
In my time riding cable and winching i have ridden a few boards… the old Liquid Force FLX before they thickened it up…the LF Deluxe…Company Severence…Byerly Jib…Byerly Felix…The HL Franchise FLX…Phalanx CW and PRK…Liquid Force Super Trip…

My favorite board out of all of them was the old Liquid force FLX… that boards pressability was so fun. Problem was that the durability was not super good if you had any direct hit on the tip or tail. I still love my deluxe and have that as a winch board and its all time. I also ride my felix but its pretty heavy and slow. Not my favorite board behind the boat but its a tank and can handle some damage. My opinion on the best all around board for cable and boat is the super trip. That board is so damn fun. Super good at the park but it actually shreds behind the boat.
Old     (chillinoj)      Join Date: May 2009       02-24-2016, 6:37 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by tweeder View Post
What should I be looking for in a cable specific board? The Hyperlite Franchise Flex (14 model) has caught my eyes. Any opinions on that board?
Unfortunately I don't have any experience with the Franchise. But I do like the continuous rocker for the big landings off kickers. Removable fins are plus as well, since they can be nice to have to get used to the cable pull, how to handle the corners, and work on air tricks, but you'll quickly be ready to get rid of them to start hitting features. Only concern I have is the core being just foam, it may not "flex" as well for presses and long term I've seen those breakdown a lot quicker and in the newer model of the franchise they have added wood. Tarek, also had a good point that you want to look at the edges and see if they'll hold up to abuse or not.

Being in denver, can you go check out tommy's? they should be able to show you some boards in person and get a feel for how & what level you ride at to make some recommendations. Though they may not have many boards left from previous years... Assuming you were looking on evo, boards in a similar price range I would consider as well is Ronix Phoenix '13, slingshot whip '14, & just cause I want to try camber the Ronix Bandwagon ATR '14.
Old     (tweeder)      Join Date: Aug 2015       02-24-2016, 9:42 AM Reply   
I do need to get over to Golden and check out Get Tommy's. I am a little worried that they won't have any cable boards since that scene is almost non existent in colorado.

I was looking at buywake.com, I'll go check out evo.

Points taken on what to look for in a board. Didn't realize the Flex was a continuous rocker board. I have a very old HL Chad Sharpe 3ds, and have ridden a 2011 Ronix Viva a lot. I am just not a fan of how those two board behave on the water. Ive also ridden the Marek Bio, and some burgundy ronix board at an event last season. Can't remember what ronix it was but it was the only board I preferred over my S4. It was playful, but was super confident on cuts and would just launch me off the wake. Enough for Chad Sharpe to comment on how much air I was getting behind the boat, and I am an intermediate rider at best.

Maybe I am being a little to specific on my wants but I appreciate all the help. Opinions on systems vs tradition bindings? Still rocking some 2006 LF Alpha Bindings
Old     (Cpohl)      Join Date: Feb 2016       02-24-2016, 1:05 PM Reply   
Guys which is better shredtown board and boots 2014 or the 2015 union and system bindings which would you powerful
Old     (tarek)      Join Date: Jun 2011       02-24-2016, 1:58 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpohl View Post
Guys which is better shredtown board and boots 2014 or the 2015 union and system bindings which would you powerful
A friend had a shred town board and the wear through on the base over time is a little more than I've seen on any other park boards. it was actually surprisingly stiffer than i thought too. As for bindings I had the orange 2014 shred town boots and didn't put much time on them at all. Out of all the strap style bindings I've owned (vantage ct, company vandals, shred towns) i have to say i don't personally like them as much for my style because i like my stuff tight. the convenience in and out is rad but for response or support not my particular favorite.

the 2015 union was rad. I never owned it but took a few sets and loved that board. Wish they didn't change it up for 2016. a little disappointed on that move. system bindings are freakin awesome if you need in and out of your setup and want to be able to walk around with protection. for winching its a no brainer for me. for ripping around a cable its really a coin toss what you might prefer. only note i have with boots is when swimming back your feet float.
Old     (Cpohl)      Join Date: Feb 2016       02-24-2016, 2:23 PM Reply   
do the rads come out like the shredtowns easily
Old     (hrwboarder)      Join Date: Feb 2010       03-15-2016, 8:01 PM Reply   
I spend almost everyday of the season on the cable and will add in that your board preference will most likely change a good bit as you ride more. As most people transition from the boat their natural tendency is to spend a lot of time on the kickers where a stiffer board with some molded fins is normally a better choice. While you're new to the cable just snag a cable specific board and make lap after lap until deciding how your style will form. Also, ask some of of those regulars out at the cable to make a few laps on their board!

Just my .02... I've ridden a lot of cable boards and continue to ride the LF deluxe year in and year out with vantage bindings. I love the shape and it has the perfect amount of flex. The Tao would be my second choice. I've not had the chance yet to get on all the new LF boards for 2016.

Chris with the blank boards thrown in.. I would trust that dude on about anything when it comes to cable he's an OG.
Old     (slidin_out)      Join Date: Apr 2010       03-17-2016, 6:58 AM Reply   
Picked up a Slingshot board last summer to have for cable the 2-3 times a year I could drive 4 hours to ride it. It's now my main board for boat too. I put my Systems on it no problem. Had ridden Hyperlite boards exclusively for years prior to that and I'm a creature of habit so switching to a different brand/type of board was a big deal for me.
Old     (tweeder)      Join Date: Aug 2015       03-17-2016, 12:53 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarek View Post
In my time riding cable and winching i have ridden a few boards… the old Liquid Force FLX before they thickened it up…the LF Deluxe…Company Severence…Byerly Jib…Byerly Felix…The HL Franchise FLX…Phalanx CW and PRK…Liquid Force Super Trip…

My favorite board out of all of them was the old Liquid force FLX… that boards pressability was so fun. Problem was that the durability was not super good if you had any direct hit on the tip or tail. I still love my deluxe and have that as a winch board and its all time. I also ride my felix but its pretty heavy and slow. Not my favorite board behind the boat but its a tank and can handle some damage. My opinion on the best all around board for cable and boat is the super trip. That board is so damn fun. Super good at the park but it actually shreds behind the boat.
Today I picked up a 2012 142 LF FLX from Get Tommy's. Never been used and got it for $100. Super excited to get out to the Cables this summer.
Old     (cheesydog)      Join Date: Mar 2009       03-17-2016, 6:54 PM Reply   
Honestly for cable you can ride anything, especially if you're just starting out. Just make sure to go finless and woodcore for durability. Im totally biased but if I were you perhaps try to get your hands on a CTRL Hustle, Supreme Woody, or RM. Supreme is very stiff, Rm pretty flexy and the Hustle somewhere in the middle.
Old     (tristan)      Join Date: Oct 2009       03-18-2016, 5:22 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadtaylor07 View Post
Slingshot is the only company that warranties their boards if you are going to hit sliders, kickers, etc. good boards.
3 month old board refused to honour the warranty on my board, never will deal with them again, terrible customer support!
Old     (chadtaylor07)      Join Date: Sep 2015       03-18-2016, 5:23 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by tristan View Post
3 month old board refused to honour the warranty on my board, never will deal with them again, terrible customer support!

Dang bro! Hate to hear that.
Old    terrybailey10            03-30-2016, 5:34 AM Reply   
Blemboard.com use coupon code TERRYB
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       03-31-2016, 9:42 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadtaylor07 View Post
Slingshot is the only company that warranties their boards if you are going to hit sliders, kickers, etc. good boards.
Apparently not. From the "not covered" warranty info on their web site.

"Any problem resulting from misuse, abuse, impact (including sliders) or neglect."
Old     (chadtaylor07)      Join Date: Sep 2015       04-02-2016, 8:39 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by fly135 View Post
Apparently not. From the "not covered" warranty info on their web site.

"Any problem resulting from misuse, abuse, impact (including sliders) or neglect."


News to me

Reply
Share 

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 6:11 PM.

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
Wake World Home

 

© 2019 eWake, Inc.    
Advertise    |    Contact    |    Terms of Use    |    Privacy Policy    |    Report Abuse    |    Conduct    |    About Us