Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       02-03-2014, 12:14 PM Reply   
I was not a big fan of Philip Seymore Hoffman.he always played rolls that just made me dislike him. He was Very talented. And I'm sorry to admit I honestly didn't care when I heard he passed away of a drug over dose. I know you should always choose Life and anytime someone dies it's a horrible thing but when Talented people that seem to have everything and throw it all away it's hard for me to have sympathy.

http://abcnews.go.com/m/story?id=223...0%26pmnc%3D000
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       02-03-2014, 12:22 PM Reply   
how anyone can think shooting heroine is ever a good idea is beyond me.
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-03-2014, 12:47 PM Reply   
I admit I struggle to feel compassion for people that kill themselves because of the selfish wreckage they leave behind but I know I should so I try not to dwell on it
Old     (ottog1979)      Join Date: Apr 2007       02-03-2014, 12:57 PM Reply   
There's no "should" with regard to how you feel about something. Either you do or you don't. But it might be helpful to look at it this way: Why do people take drugs (drink, eat too much, smoke, knowingly take high risks, etc.) to the point of harm or death or why do they commit suicide? The answer to that question is far more complex and deep than right/wrong, good for you / bad for you, pleasurable / harmful. The guy was struggling with his own demons, in pain and unfortunately for him, his kids and family, he was captive to a very unhealthy way of dealing with it. Clearly, what he did was not good for him. I'm pretty sure he knew that just like smokers know it. Why he did it is the question that requires more work, understanding and empathy for the human condition.

In the end for me, it's sad.

Last edited by ottog1979; 02-03-2014 at 12:59 PM.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       02-03-2014, 1:00 PM Reply   
Compassion and sympathy are for the living. When I read about people overdosing, I really don't feel anything. Despite how hard it is to get off extremely addictive drugs, I can only imagine that most of these people have had plenty of people in their life trying to get them to stop.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       02-03-2014, 1:02 PM Reply   
Whitney Huston, Kurt Cobain, Heath Ledger, Anna Nicole Smith, Cory Monteith

Don't Know if I can add Michale Jackson to the list because technically someone else took him out be he seemd to be on the path of self destruction
All ended them self's early while having MORE then most could ever want,
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       02-03-2014, 1:20 PM Reply   
I am empathetic. No drug addict, obese person or even many criminals ever believed that they would end up overdosing, being unable to leave the house or in prison. They are all on slippery slopes and most people think that they have it under control the first time they snort a line at a party to stay up late, order a second slice of cheese cake or fib on their taxes.

You have to pay the dues for your mistakes, but I can understand how something that starts small can move completely out of your control without you realizing it. I only empathize with those who overdose (I've never had a drug problem), but I do feel genuinely sorry for the innocent people around them: family, friends and business partners. They have to live with that person's mistake.
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-03-2014, 1:24 PM Reply   
Maybe "should" is the wrong way to state it. Its better for my own health to feel compassion for everyone and coldness for no one. Not from a moral point of view but a practical one.

IMO you can absolutely change the way you feel about something/someone if you can motivate yourself to want to.

**** getting deep this morning.
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       02-03-2014, 1:25 PM Reply   
Darrin, I was trying to come up with a way to say your second sentence. Great post.
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       02-03-2014, 1:27 PM Reply   
Addiction is a terrible thing to go through... That **** is powerful and Hollywood is a ****ed up place. I do find it sad, but I don't feel terribly sorry for him.

This world sees so much death every day that I feel desensitized to so much of it.
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-03-2014, 1:32 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiboarder View Post
Darrin, I was trying to come up with a way to say your second sentence. Great post.
You can call me the Darrin Lama. I take Paypal donations.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       02-03-2014, 1:55 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralph View Post
IMO you can absolutely change the way you feel about something/someone if you can motivate yourself to want to.
Assuming you could, why would you want to? If you desire to make yourself feel compassion for people who overdose from a standpoint of believing it's right in your heart, then you've got a whole world of people more deserving of your compassion.

Is it even possible to be that "concerned" without troubling your own soul. If your compassion drives you to dedicate yourself to doing something about it then I could see a point. But quite frankly if I felt there was a moral reason to feel something, it would have to be for real victims who are in a bad position for reasons not caused by themselves. The world is overflowing with people like that.

What I feel for people who kill themselves or destroy their lives over drugs is a sense of not being judgmental. It's unfortunate, out of my hands, and a loss to their friends and relatives.
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       02-03-2014, 3:11 PM Reply   
I have no sympathy for anyone who dies of an O/D, accidental or otherwise.
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-03-2014, 4:16 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by fly135 View Post
Assuming you could, why would you want to?
I tend to find negativity is contagious, thinking bad thoughts about someone puts you in a bad mood and clouds other thoughts towards the negative. When I struggle to empathise for someone I try for a "Live and let live" happy medium. Bieber for instance. I can't relate to the choices he has made lately but I'm not getting all judgey about it or seeking out watching the kicking he is getting left and right on every social media and news site lately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fly135 View Post
If you desire to make yourself feel compassion for people who overdose from a standpoint of believing it's right in your heart, then you've got a whole world of people more deserving of your compassion.
Compassion is not finite in fact the opposite, once it becomes a habit, there is plenty available for everybody, there is not a compassion allotment that gets used up.
Old     (Pad1Tai)      Join Date: Jan 2013       02-03-2014, 5:00 PM Reply   
I'll say a prayer for him and hope his in a better place, but He wrote his own ticket and controlled his own destiny.... Problem solved.
Old     (smitty75)      Join Date: Jun 2013       02-03-2014, 5:02 PM Reply   
I never had sympathy for this type of thing until a few years ago when It happened to a close friend. Family found him after OD. We knew he had some issues going on, but no idea it was heroin. Seeing what it did to his family and little girl made me see the other side of it.
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       02-03-2014, 5:29 PM Reply   
The fact that PSH played roles that made you hate him, says something about his talent. So many talented and creative people have disorders such as ADD, OCD, which in turn makes them more susceptible to addiction. A lot of these people don't realize they have these disorders, until later in life. When these people are not practicing the craft they love (music, art, theatre, etc), they turn to other outlets. Unfortunately, Hollywood is filled with plenty of people who will happily put a bump out for you, or whatever it is they happen to have with them. PSH was battling addiction for most of his adult life, and he was one of the few people who openly spoke about his troubles and was actively working to kick his constant addiction.
I would rank him as top 5 favorite actor of all time, but that doesn't mean I feel bad for him. I feel bad for his wife and kids, and I am sad that I will no longer get to see him make a new film. I don't think anyone should just shrug their shoulders and think "oh well" when anyone dies. Especially when you're talking about a person who had a family who loved him.

When gang bangers kill each other, I am glad they aren't killing innocent people, but I'm sad for the choices they made in their lives that brought them to this point.

With that said, you feel what you feel. You shouldn't be punished for your feelings, no matter the situation.
Old     (bryce2320)      Join Date: May 2012       02-03-2014, 7:53 PM Reply   
Why anyone would start taking drugs is beyond me. It's pretty clear they're addicting and hard to get off! That's why I never even tried weed or taken a loratab for that matter. Not that that makes me better than a stoner...... Well maybe in my mind it does but to answer the question, no sympathy is felt from me.
Old     (brichter14)      Join Date: Jul 2010       02-04-2014, 5:02 AM Reply   
I feel sorry for his family and friends. I do not feel sympathy for people who choose to do drugs. I also do not feel sympathy for the selfish act of suicide. Life comes with a lot of decisions, quick escapes often lead to a lot of hurt for the people around you.
Old     (brett33)      Join Date: Apr 2011       02-04-2014, 6:33 AM Reply   
With all the money and resources available to celebrities, it's unbelievable that more don't kick their addictions... instead that's what seems to fuel them. I thought PSH was a great actor and I am disappointed to see yet another talented individual's career and life end because of a drug overdose. I feel sorry for the ones he left behind, but shooting heroin is selfish and anyone gambling with their lives for a temporary escape gets zero sympathy from me.
Old     (murphy_smith)      Join Date: Dec 2005       02-04-2014, 7:26 AM Reply   
I'm still scratching my head as to why the media has "dug in" on the fact that he and others are getting a toxic batch of heroin. My understanding is that all heroin has to ability to kill.

No remorse, no sympathy for him. He was smart enough and lucid enough to understand right from wrong / good from bad / life or death when he put the drug in his body.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       02-04-2014, 7:35 AM Reply   
I think Train got it right. A lot of creative people have a predisposition to psychological problems. I think the reason why they are dug into the "toxic batch" issue is that the drug is sometimes adulterated with a more powerful synthetic drug and raising awareness about that is a good thing.

When people get addicted to stuff like this their reasoning defies all logic.
Old     (phatboypimp)      Join Date: Apr 2005       02-04-2014, 1:23 PM Reply   
This is a tense subject. Love or hate Russell Brand - I believe he is intelligent and insightful. Here is an article he wrote about addiction (he is 10 years clean)

http://www.theguardian.com/culture/2...-without-drugs
Old     (ottog1979)      Join Date: Apr 2007       02-04-2014, 2:38 PM Reply   
That's a great article. Indeed, Russell Brand is intelligent and insightful.
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       02-04-2014, 3:02 PM Reply   
Russell Brand is entertaining and animated. I saw his speech on not voting and it sounded smart, but was an extremely immature view of how the world really works.
Old     (jcfox00)      Join Date: Mar 2009       02-04-2014, 6:28 PM Reply   
http://www.electricfeast.com/a-note-...s-not-selfish/

Thought this was fitting. Interesting article
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       02-04-2014, 9:29 PM Reply   
There are many forms of heroin , if it were legal quality and potency could be controlled stopping most over doses. It's the unknown quality of street heroin that kills.
Old     (RideGull)      Join Date: Apr 2012       02-07-2014, 8:22 AM Reply   
Kinda random, but I graduated with one of the guys who was just arrested for selling it to PSH.
My class really pumped out some winners.
Old     (augie_09)      Join Date: Mar 2011       02-07-2014, 1:32 PM Reply   
don't feel sorry for them. feel sorry for the people that loved them though.

I don't expect people to feel sorry for me if I have a really bad hangover, maybe just cut me slack if I can draw that parallel
Old     (KJ865)      Join Date: Nov 2013       02-11-2014, 8:38 PM Reply   
Those articles are both wonderful. Addiction is a powerful thing and not something that anyone would ever choose. Nobody wants to grow up to be an alcoholic or drug addict. But addiction does not discriminate. There are so many different factors to addiction and you just never know who's going to be the unlucky one that gets stuck with the disease. We'd like to say it's as easy as never picking up drugs (wouldn't that be a wonderful world) but the facts are that people get sucked in for all sorts of reasons and many get sucked in at a young age. The major unfortunate fact about falling prey to addiction at a young age is that the addiction actually develops into our brain. Ours brains are fully developed by age 25 and if we've been an addict for 5 or 10 years at that point then we have trained our brain to think that drug use is an acceptable coping skill. Even if we know it's wrong...that doesn't matter. Addiction is more powerful than right or wrong. I've worked with 16 year old girls that sold their bodies for a joint or a pill or a bump. Imagine that... they don't want to do those things but they are completely controlled by their addiction. Another sad fact is that no matter how many people want an addict to get clean... you can't force them. They have to want it and they have to work at it every single day. Having a positive support system definitely helps but if I've learned one thing during my few years of working with addicts it's that we can't force them to change. We can only offer help and support and give them the tools they need and hope for the best. The best thing we can do is educate children about the dangers and be positive supports and role models and encourage positive activities (like water sports!) And hope they make good choices :-) ok stepping down from my soap box now... just very passionate about this topic.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
Old     (jason_ssr)      Join Date: Apr 2001       02-13-2014, 6:36 AM Reply   
PSH was one of my favorite actors. A friend and I were making observations about his demise and it was later talked about on the radio the correlation between great performers who have also been heavier body-types and their battles with addiction. I feel bad for him because I think the negative self image created the internal struggle that both made him a great actor and drove him to self medicate. I think people like him, Farley, Belushi, etc work hard to achieve greatness thinking that money, fame, and adoration will make them like themselves and alieviate the self loathing that decades of ridicule created. It doesnt. At the end of the day, when youre alone with yourself, none of those achievements matter.

All that to say, take care of your young people. The damage a negative self image as a child does, has long lasting effects.