Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (mattl)      Join Date: Jul 2013       09-12-2013, 6:15 AM Reply   
I am looking into the purchase of a Ford F 150. I have heard good things about the Eco Boost. What are the pros and cons of the V8 v V6? What have been your experiences?
Old     (Jmorlan)      Join Date: May 2013       09-12-2013, 6:19 AM Reply   
Couldn't get me to go near an ecoboost. Especially if you are lifting, or towing with it.

Go with the 5.0. Youll be much happier and, the all important infamous "mpg's" are nearly the same.
Old     (DatTexasBoy)      Join Date: Aug 2012       09-12-2013, 7:34 AM Reply   
I can tell you after having both of them the Ecoboost will drag the 5.0 all over the state of Texas. The MPG's will in fact not be that much different, but if you are towing with it there is no comparison. I call it the Silent Assassin and for that reason, I love it too. Great motor in my opinion.
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       09-12-2013, 7:48 AM Reply   
yeah I had an ecoboost temporarily and have 2 friends with them. I would go EcoBoost if you are towing before the 5.0L any day of the week....
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-12-2013, 8:07 AM Reply   
I have had both and currently have the 5.0. I like them both a lot but the edge for sure goes to the ecoboost. While you may only gain 1 mpg difference the Eco out tows the 5.0 pretty handily. Granted for what we tow either does great but th Eco does it effortlessly. The benefit of the 5.0 is lower price and bigger rebates. Day to day driving I think they're equals. The reason I went with the 5.0 is it was my last truck with Ford and they sold it to me super cheap when I left.

If you search ford f150 5.0 you can see some videos I did while towing.
Old     (blastmaster)      Join Date: Aug 2001       09-12-2013, 8:15 AM Reply   
I have an 11 Platinum with the 5.0. & 373 gears so the mileage is not great @ 14ish but I drive it pretty hard. It tows my sanger very well once you change the crap "car" tires Ford puts on all them so they ride nice. The sidewalls are much too soft. and suck terribly.. It takes some getting used to after driving a F250 SD. The new 6speed transmissions make the motors rev much higher as they make their power and torque in higher RPM ranges. I bought used for screaming deal so I did not have choice or I would have gotten the Eco Boost. I just towed a 22 Airstream to Hot August Nights in Reno NV from Sacramento and going over the summit I was very impressed that it held 60+ no problem and makes crap load of power to pass just about everything on very steep grade, but motor sure screams to get it done and the fuel mileage plummets. If you are towing heavy loads get the Extreme Tow Package. If towing something heavy anticipate installing the Firestone Air Bag kit on the rear also. Performs very well overall and I am not sorry as it fits my daily driving much better than Crew SD.
Old     (Fixable)      Join Date: Oct 2012       09-12-2013, 8:21 AM Reply   
I have had a Ecoboost, and currently have a 6.2l. I don't do much towing, however, if I did, I would go back to the ecoboost. The low rpm torque capabilities of that engine are incredible. Also, my 6.2l gets terrible fuel mileage in comparison. So, for me, the 5.0 wouldn't even be a consideration. Go ecoboost.
Old     (alans)      Join Date: Aug 2005       09-12-2013, 8:28 AM Reply   
Ecoboost all day long. I am a dealer and tow all kinds of boats every day in Colorado. It out tows everything I have owned except for the newer diesels.
Old     (JWalk)      Join Date: Aug 2013       09-12-2013, 8:43 AM Reply   
I tow boats every day and have had an eco boost and a ford with the old 5.4L. the eco boost is best pulling half ton I have ever had. I will say I don't think the MPG is any better but the performance is way better.
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       09-12-2013, 8:49 AM Reply   
Slight Threadjack: I just towed my boat the other day with my new to me 2010 flex with ecoboost and I will tell you it pulled better then my 05 F150. It didn't have the same breaking power as the truck but off the line and when needing power it was a lot better. If my next boat wasn't over the tow limit of the vehicle I would highly consider getting rid of my truck.
Old     (soonerbilly)      Join Date: Jul 2013       09-12-2013, 9:38 AM Reply   
I have a flex with eco too, i thought i would have to get a fullsized truck to pull my boat but the flex does a really good job. Esp since i got 4 kids too. No issues. So go with the eco, although like most have said the gas mileage isnt what they advertise.
Old     (Kingsriver)      Join Date: Aug 2011       09-12-2013, 8:53 PM Reply   
I had a 11 Platinum and my 12 Eco Boost is much better and even quicker than the 6.0. The 5.0 is a Dog. Go with the EcoBoost and you will be very happy. 35k miles on mine one set of tires and towed major Mountains all summer with no issues at 60+. My 11 I was on my 3rd set of tires and the Reason I sold it.
Old     (MuskokaCanada)      Join Date: Jul 2011       09-13-2013, 8:50 AM Reply   
I'm hauling with a '13 F150 Ecoboost and it pulls like a tractor. The ramp I use is sketchy at best, very steep, just rocks and dirt. No issues ever. Get one.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       09-13-2013, 10:40 AM Reply   
I have no experience myself but would probably choose the 5.0L because it has more than enough power to tow any wakeboard boat out there safely and reliably over the mountains in the NW. I don't think anybody really needs the extra power of the ecoboost unless they are towing 7500+ pound trailers often and/or at high altitudes. I would rather have the cheaper to purchase and more proven technology myself. I think most on here need to be honest. They buy a diesel truck or something like the ecoboost not because they need it but because it is badarse. I am not saying that isn't a good enough reason to pay the premium but I am not sure it makes sense from a logical standpoint.
Old     (jbird)      Join Date: Jun 2011       09-13-2013, 3:45 PM Reply   
^^^ Exactly why I went with the 5.0 in my 2013 F150! ^^^
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       09-13-2013, 4:49 PM Reply   
^^^I didn't know a gas, boosted motor wasn't a proven technology...
Old     (alans)      Join Date: Aug 2005       09-13-2013, 6:56 PM Reply   
If I am not mistaken, they are Borg Warner K03 Turbos. Pretty sure they have been around for 15+ years and are in just about every turbo charged VW/Audi since 2000.
Old     (ETrogdon)      Join Date: Mar 2013       09-13-2013, 6:58 PM Reply   
Just over 2000 miles on my new Boost, test drove both...no regrets and this is my 5th new F150.
Even hauls a SUP!

Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       09-13-2013, 7:52 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by alans View Post
If I am not mistaken, they are Borg Warner K03 Turbos. Pretty sure they have been around for 15+ years and are in just about every turbo charged VW/Audi since 2000.
Ah yes the Audi/v-dub crowd loves k03 to k04 swaps...

I was under the impression ford used Garett's though, an equally great name in turbos. Though I could certainly be wrong. Anyways my point is that turbocharging is the way of the future and is proven tech. Plus when your Eco boost feels a little sluggish in 5 years a tune can breath new life, never mind an intake and exhaust with tune.
Old     (dukeno1)      Join Date: May 2006       09-16-2013, 11:04 AM Reply   
I have a 12' with the 5.0 and it tows my 21 ft Malibu just fine. It is a really nice engine in my opinion. Their have been some folks having issues with their
ecoboosts such as random missing when trying to accelerate , etc. Just do a search on Ecoboost and I am sure you can find plenty of info.
I think either engine will do what you want , unless you are going to be towing heavy loads all the time...then you might want to go for the extra torque of the v6.
Me, I prefer the roar of a good ol' V8....lol
Old     (Fixable)      Join Date: Oct 2012       09-16-2013, 3:17 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplej View Post
Ah yes the Audi/v-dub crowd loves k03 to k04 swaps...

I was under the impression ford used Garett's though, an equally great name in turbos. Though I could certainly be wrong. Anyways my point is that turbocharging is the way of the future and is proven tech. Plus when your Eco boost feels a little sluggish in 5 years a tune can breath new life, never mind an intake and exhaust with tune.
You are right. The turbos (at least on the 3.5l in the F-150) are garrett gt15 turbos. And have been used in many other applications as well....

The K03, and K04 turbos, that were used in VW/Audi vehicles, are manufactured by KKK. I wouldn't be surprised if the K03 is used in some of Fords euro vehicles, or the I4 engines, but they are not on the F-150, or SHO engine.
Old     (alans)      Join Date: Aug 2005       09-16-2013, 8:57 PM Reply   
Honeywell (Garrett) on the SHO/MKS/Flex/MKT
Borg Warner on F150
Old     (dougr)      Join Date: Dec 2009       09-17-2013, 6:34 PM Reply   
i am just bout to turn 100k on my 2011 ecoboost with 3.73 currently getting 18.7 average and can push 20 on the hi way if i keep it under 75. It has its strange attributes but would never choose the 5.0. i tow a 244 enzo like its not there, it truly is amazing for a gas half ton. you will love it
Old     (Fixable)      Join Date: Oct 2012       09-18-2013, 5:57 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by alans View Post
Honeywell (Garrett) on the SHO/MKS/Flex/MKT
Borg Warner on F150
Did they change them?? The one that I looked at, when they first came out, had GT15s on it.....
Old     (ajf4242)      Join Date: Aug 2008       09-19-2013, 8:39 AM Reply   
I have a 2013 Eco and had a 2010 5.4. . . with that being said I can only assume the 5.0 is similar to the 5.4. I love the ecoboost motor. . . tows great and gets about 2-3 mpgs better than my 5.4 did. If you think you're going to get 20-22 mpgs forget it. I get 17-18 with mostly highway driving and i got 15-16 if i was lucky on my 5.4. Towing is about the same with 8-9mpgs and I had the 3.55 ratio on both trucks. The amount of torque you get is incredible. I've had people get in my truck that are chevy fans and have told me they wish their truck has this power and rode as nice as mine does. My dad also has an ecoboost and has over a 100k on his with no problems towing over 10,000lbs+ equipment at the gravel pits he works all the time. I think the engine is solid from both of our expereinces. I wouldn't hesitate to get one and would never go back to the regular engines they offer. That being said i'm biased towards ford. My mpgs are calculated by hand not the computer and I do it at the pump everytime i fill the truck full.
Old     (Brendon444)      Join Date: Jul 2011       09-19-2013, 8:45 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingsriver View Post
I had a 11 Platinum and my 12 Eco Boost is much better and even quicker than the 6.0. The 5.0 is a Dog. Go with the EcoBoost and you will be very happy. 35k miles on mine one set of tires and towed major Mountains all summer with no issues at 60+. My 11 I was on my 3rd set of tires and the Reason I sold it.
I dont understand why one truck would be harder on tires vs. the other under the same driving conditions and same tire. What am I missing
Old     (surffresh)      Join Date: Jun 2010       09-23-2013, 5:41 AM Reply   
I am at 40k on my 11 Eco B 4X4 stock tires, at least 60% towing, debating on trading it on a 13 or getting new tires
Old     (Kyson)      Join Date: Jul 2013       09-23-2013, 8:25 AM Reply   
Another vote for the ecoboost. I have a loaded FX4 EB that pulls my 22' Axis effortlessly. The key is in where it builds its power - it's all down low and available at or less than 2500 rpm. No more revving at high rpm to pull hills - it just quietly and confidently pulls everywhere. With about 4-5 better towing mpg than my 2008 V8 pull truck.
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       09-23-2013, 10:33 AM Reply   
I wish I could have got that engine on my Raptor.
Old     (Redleader)      Join Date: Feb 2013       09-23-2013, 1:29 PM Reply   
This may be a stupid question but has the sound of the ecoboost engine every deterred an owner? I have friends who have gone with the 5.0L and the 6.2L because it 'sounds like a truck'. Do owners just get use to it or is it actually a big deal?
Old     (8Eyewear)      Join Date: Sep 2013       09-23-2013, 1:32 PM Reply   
I think the turbos spooling up sounds amazing. Sure a v-8 will be more burly especially with an exhaust but turbos spooling up takes the cake. Especially if it were to be modded in other ways, exhaust, bov/diverter valves (however the system is set up) turbo upgrades.
Old     (CHern5972)      Join Date: Jul 2012       09-24-2013, 4:05 AM Reply   
I have had my 2013 Fx4 for a few months now and love it. It tows allot better than the 5.3 i had. I have a great write up on another forum. Ill copy and pasteit here. This thing tows great. Im not sure on what boat your towing but we have a 2012 Mojo and it tows like crazy
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-24-2013, 7:27 AM Reply   
Quote:
with that being said I can only assume the 5.0 is similar to the 5.4
They're not even close to the same and the tranny is vastly improved. I've had around ten of these trucks over the last 7 years and every iteration of the 5.4 and I can tell you it's not even close to the 5.0
Old     (DatTexasBoy)      Join Date: Aug 2012       09-24-2013, 7:45 AM Reply   
5.0 is way better than 5.4, but the difference in these two engines Is about the same as the gap between the 5.0 and EB. EB is a monster pulling.
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-24-2013, 6:34 PM Reply   
I bought my F150 in September 2011 and have been driving it across the country, many times towing my ginormous Z3 loaded down with equipment. My father bought the same truck about a month earlier, only difference is he got the 5.0. He wishes he got the Ecoboost like I do.

I now have 60k miles on it and I have never had anything that tows like this beast. So much low end torque. I just got back from Lake Mead towing and I take the 95 to reno and over the donner pass each time, like nothing. I get 18-20 MPG with truck loaded full with equipment when we go to a EWT tour stop without towing. I get 10-11 when towing. I drive with a heavy foot. On my last trip to Texas, I got 2 written warnings in 2 different states and one ticket, so I don't baby and still get decent mileage. I have the 4x4 with 373 gears for towing.

There are only 2 negatives after all of this mileage, but worth the tradeoff. The 5.0 has ZERO turbo lag, the Eco does have turbo lag on occasion. Sometimes its worse than others, like when you are pulling in front of traffic and gun it. The other negative is on the RARE occasion that it has to rev up hard, it sounds like an angry blender, no V8 growl for sure.

I wish it didn't have the lag on occasion, but other than that I would buy this truck again and again.

Towing our Z3, it probably has 10-15k miles towing the Z3.

Towing the RZ4

Towing our 30 foot travel trailer. The only thing that could tow this before, was our 2001 Yukon XL 2500 with 8.2 L engine. We planned on keeping the Yukon, for the times we needed to tow the travel trailer. Once we tried the F150 towing it, and it was MUCH better, we sold it.

IMG_1096 by wake9, on Flickr
Old     (CHern5972)      Join Date: Jul 2012       09-27-2013, 8:43 AM Reply   
I love this truck. It pulls better than the 5.3 on my chevrolet and better than the 5.0, to me. I pulled the boat with both and it pulls better in my opinion.

Name:  12.jpg
Views: 21061
Size:  96.0 KB
Old     (04outback)      Join Date: Jul 2007       10-15-2013, 1:33 PM Reply   
I had a 2009 and 2011 chevy Crew with 5.3L before going with my 2012 F150 with EcoBoost..
Love the ride and spunkiness of my truck.. by miss the V8 some. as someone put it to me.. either you have ECO or BOOST.. but not both. TOWS Great! torque curve in the Ecoboost is great.. but highway mileage is FAR from posted.. PLUS, I had 2 repairs on mine at 4000 and 8000 miles.. first was ECM/TCM update due to boost issues.. then the second time after boost shut down and tranny shuttered a bunch, they replaced part of intercooler and cats system. been good for last 10K miles. but mileage still not where I wanted. and not as good as 5.3 was. I can get the posted mileage at 55mph highway cruise only.
If I bought a new truck tomorrow, I don't think i'd buy eco again..

photo DSC_0943.jpg
Old     (rdlangston13)      Join Date: Feb 2011       10-17-2013, 5:54 AM Reply   
The eco is not the best on fuel but it is the best combination for fuel economy and towing you can get. There may be better on mileage but you sacrifice dearly in the towing dept, and their may be some better at towing....wait, I don't think there is anything better at towing in the half ton market actually.

And mileage is greatly dependent on how you drive, I know people that know two speeds, WFO or stopped and then they complain about their mileage, not saying that is the case with the people on here but you should drive like you have an egg between your foot and the accelerator if you want the posted mileage and coast to stop signs and lights.

Also lifts and bigger tires will kill mileage, if you aftermarket mud tires and a lift you will probably never get anything near the posted mileage.

Last edited by rdlangston13; 10-17-2013 at 5:57 AM.
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       10-17-2013, 6:52 AM Reply   
Off topic......
That there is a pretty set up Brad. Looks classy!
Old     (dougr)      Join Date: Dec 2009       10-17-2013, 7:25 AM Reply   
so i turned 102000k and am broke down in cary nc. lol i will know in a few if they fixed it. I was told that on rare occasions they have found coil packs fail and cause misfiring in that cylinder. Mine was #3 and they said 6 new plugs and the coil will be around 500 bucks. It did not stop running, but was missing and just a total hot mess going down the road to the dealer. I will keep you guys posted. I really love the engine and want another down the road, but need to get 250k on this one.

Its hard to go back to a v8 knowing its not going to pull like this thing. and I dont want a 3/4 ton as a daily driver.
Old     (surffresh)      Join Date: Jun 2010       11-10-2013, 6:17 AM Reply   
traded my 2011 Eco in for a 2013 yesterday, test drove the V8 for giggles, no chance, my last Eco was awesome !!!!
Old     (tn_rider)      Join Date: Dec 2009       11-10-2013, 8:44 AM Reply   
How many miles are on you guys Ecoboost? And have you had any problems? I'm considering one.
Old     (surffresh)      Join Date: Jun 2010       11-10-2013, 9:25 AM Reply   
I had just under 40k on mine, only problem was the Sat. radio antenna wire came loose from the back of the radio, and of course it got fixed. I put most of the miles hauling boats in NC,TN,VA, and upstate SC, a few trips hauling over the App mountains, one thing I did notice is it would shutter a little but if I bought better or non ethanol gas it was smooth as silk under a load and the MPG increased with better gas so it almost paid for itself. The reasons I traded it in were; needed new shoes $1,000, warrantees were ending. 2014's are getting ready to roll so there are major deals on what's left on 2013's. I gave up a few blings that I had on the 11 (Lariott 4X4) but I did get the tailgate step with the new XLT 4X4, no money down, skip a month pmt. and knocked off $75 a month with new shoes to boot ! I have to have a reliable tower and this was more or less a no brainer for me.
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       11-10-2013, 6:50 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmorlan View Post
Couldn't get me to go near an ecoboost. Especially if you are lifting, or towing with it.

Go with the 5.0. Youll be much happier and, the all important infamous "mpg's" are nearly the same.
I guess you dont need torque at low RPM to tow huh? the 420 ft-lbs @ 2500 rpm with the eco boost is DEFINITELY worse than the 380 ft-lbs @ 4250 rpm with the 5.0.
http://www.ford.com/trucks/f150/specifications/engine/

the infamous "mpgs" will likely be comparable, but you are getting more torque with the same fuel consumption... please explain how this is a bad thing, especially when discussing towing?

I think people forget that these torque values correspond to a specific point on a curve with a corresponding RPM... when you run at a higher rpm you are increasing the number of power cycles per cylinder which means you are using more fuel.... higher torque at lower rpm will use less fuel, create less wear and tear, lower temperatures.. all sorts of theoretical mumbo jumbo that everyone will begin to flame me for bringing up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by polarbill View Post
I have no experience myself but would probably choose the 5.0L because it has more than enough power to tow any wakeboard boat out there safely and reliably over the mountains in the NW. I don't think anybody really needs the extra power of the ecoboost unless they are towing 7500+ pound trailers often and/or at high altitudes. I would rather have the cheaper to purchase and more proven technology myself. I think most on here need to be honest. They buy a diesel truck or something like the ecoboost not because they need it but because it is badarse. I am not saying that isn't a good enough reason to pay the premium but I am not sure it makes sense from a logical standpoint.
Please give me the values you are using to establish what is "enough" "more than enough" and "not enough" in terms of horse power and torque at specified rpms required to tow a given load.

WARNING: RANT BELOW - do not continue reading if you have the following:
- inability to just let me be wrong
- inability to be wrong yourself
- cold sweats and shaky fingers due to diesel discussion
- a small pen 15

For every 50 people I have heard loving the eco boost I have heard one stubborn guy who also hates diesels, saying that you don't "need" it to tow. Be my guest and tow your boat with a donkey for all I care, but stop flaming anyone who suggests a diesel or the ecoboost.

The reality is, no, you do not "need" a diesel or an ecoboost to tow, but you also did not need that v-drive towboat that makes your watersports easier to enjoy, or the remotes on your transom so you dont have to walk into the boat to change your music, or automated ballast so you can just flip a switch, or the underwater LED lights that look cool, or HLCD tower speakers, or the supercharged caddy engine to get you and your 50 best friends on plane faster. Need is extremely relative and it is obvious that we all love things that make what we do easier, this is my point. The eco boost or a diesel will make your towing experience more enjoyable, if you do not agree, obviously you have never towed with either and you might as well be the guy with the bayliner telling the guy with the SAN210 how he doesnt need any extra ballast and that since you are a level 10 gymnast you can throw quadruple tantrum lon flips on your huge babe-liner wake so he obviously really seriously doesnt truely NEED the extra ballast since the bayliner wake is good enough for you...

When someone posts on a forum asking for a truck to "TOW" you better expect to get the diesel and the ecoboost suggestion. They were designed to tow, work hard, and last. Diesels will outlast gas engines, this cannot be argued. They are more efficient than gas engines, this cannot be argued.
"practical Diesel engines are 30% - 35% more efficient than gasoline engines."
I introduce to you, the first law of thermodynamics with a wonderful wikipedia page to support the quote above.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermal_efficiency

Yes, diesel maintenance is more expensive, but if you have a $110K wakeboat that least of your worries should be oil changes that cost 40% more than what your 5.0L V8 oilchange costs. You will get more torque at lower rpms, meaning you will not work your motor as hard.

END RANT

love you guys.
Old     (pprior)      Join Date: Jan 2012       11-10-2013, 7:33 PM Reply   
The biggest problem with diesels nowdays is that they've ramped up the emissions stuff and costs like DEF and the other crap have dropped efficiency. Then you add (at least around here) that diesel fuel is almost $0.90 more than 89 octane regular fuel (which my ecoboost runs fine with) and even if you have a 30% improvement in fuel economy by the time you pay for increased oil changes, etc and the THOUSANDS more to buy the motor in the first place it's hard to ever make that money back. When I was a kid I remember diesel was often just a bit CHEAPER than gas, so back then it made huge sense. I don't know why they have deviated so much in price, but it's killed the economy of a diesel engine.

Now if you tow daily/frequently/long distances, and need longevity then it makes sense. But for the average weekend boater, I just don't see the economy aspect of it. Yes they hold value, but they cost A LOT more to begin with. Especially since you can't get a small diesel in a 1/2 ton truck.

Now just for "wanting" well that's another whole thing. But honestly with the low end torque of the ecoboost, it's a game changer. When it was just comparing a big block V8 gasser vs. a diesel it was a different argument, but the torque curve on the ecoboost is quite diesel-like and they pull very similar.

I've got only about 25,000 miles on my two year old ecoboost F150, but it's been trouble free thus far. The gas mileage sucks in town (14) and isn't good towing either (10-12), so it's definitely more Boost than Eco.....
Old     (nitrousbird)      Join Date: Sep 2008       11-12-2013, 4:25 AM Reply   
I think folks sometimes worry a bit too much about how well a truck tows.

Yes, some people tow for a living or just a lot in general - and for those folks it really does matter. But someone towing a few miles to the lake each weekend, does it really matter that much?

My old Avalanche struggles up the mountains towing...so what? I took two travel boat vacations this year through the mountains, the most I've done in a year. There were some 2nd gear hill climbs at times, and going 40MPH for a couple miles to keep the temps down. But it made it just fine and continues to run fine. A more powerful motor would be nice but it isn't the end of the world. Just think about what people were towing with 20 years ago.

That said, if buying new, the EcoBoost is only $1000 over the 5.0L. You will never see that in fuel savings but probably will in resale.
Old     (dougr)      Join Date: Dec 2009       11-12-2013, 6:49 AM Reply   
i have a 2011 fx4 it just turned 106000. fyi. at around 95k it started to really misfire, only issue i have had, and required all new coil packs and plugs other than that. all good
Old     (pprior)      Join Date: Jan 2012       11-12-2013, 10:38 AM Reply   
Nitrousbird:

Old     (runin90lx)      Join Date: Sep 2009       11-12-2013, 1:34 PM Reply   
I just went and looked at nee f150s. $52-55k. Good lord! For around 55-57 you could get a new f250. Cant believe a 1/2 ton has gotten so expensive!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
Old     (CHern5972)      Join Date: Jul 2012       11-13-2013, 3:53 AM Reply   
Bill,
52-55k for a new ecoboost.
I just bought a new 13 and paid way less than that man.
Old     (DatTexasBoy)      Join Date: Aug 2012       11-13-2013, 4:26 AM Reply   
I'll just say I bought a new '13 lariat LOADED in June and paid well under 45k.
Old     (surffresh)      Join Date: Jun 2010       11-13-2013, 5:48 AM Reply   
my dealer (5 locations) in FL is advertising 8 to 12k off the sticker in rebates etc. depending on model (2013's)
Old     (runin90lx)      Join Date: Sep 2009       11-13-2013, 8:13 AM Reply   
these were 2014(i believe) at the ford dealership in longview. i didnt talk to any salespeople but that was the sticker price on them. fully loaded lariat ecoboost was 52. the platinum ecoboost was 55.
Old     (axxxiswake)      Join Date: Jun 2013       11-13-2013, 9:02 AM Reply   
Its widely known that dealers markup pickups significantly so they can act like they've given major discounts
Old     (runin90lx)      Join Date: Sep 2009       11-13-2013, 9:28 AM Reply   
all of you saying you are getting 10-12MPG while towing. at what speeds are you towing down the highway?
Old     (pprior)      Join Date: Jan 2012       11-13-2013, 5:28 PM Reply   
I tow 65 max, typically a bit under that. With an X30 and the truck full of people and gear I get about 10-11 on flat ground

(ecoboost)
Old     (PureWakesurfing1)      Join Date: Sep 2012       11-13-2013, 7:01 PM Reply   
I've been debating the Eco vs. 5.0 for about a year now.

My buddy has an 11 Eco FX4 Crew that I use from time to time, and his gets about 18MPG on the highway and 13-14 towing a 6500lb. trailer. That really set me on the search for a new truck.

When I started test driving Eco's I was surprised that each one I drove was a TOTALLY different feel. One would be very loose feeling, one very tight, one with loads of turbo lag, another with none. Some shuddered, and some clunked. So, I gave up on the search and started renting 5.0 Crews when we absolutely needed it for long distance trips. I have a commercial account with Enterprise so the cost was minimal and it kept the mileage off my personal vehicle. With the 5.0 5.0's each one feels identical. Plus, you can hammer the gas anywhere, in town on the highway, whatever, and still get 17mpg. Towing, the 5.0 would get 10-11mpg regardless of how I drove it - whether a 3500# trailer or a 6500# trailer.

A few weeks ago, after 240K miles of off road abuse, and towing a boat and race trailer a few times a week, my Jeep GC finally blew up. Really, I'm amazed the motor lasted as long as it did with how much I tow. Anyway, I just picked up a 13 Eco crew XLT with low miles. I'm getting 21mpg on the highway, about 15-17 in town, but only 9.5 towing at 65 mph (and that's babying the throttle). If I go 75-80 it drops to around 7mpg.

While I'm a little disappointed with the towing MPG, you can't beat the effortless drive, unloaded or towing that you get. For those that haven't driven an Eco, it's like you're truck is weightless and you are just flying through the air without even really applying the gas pedal at all. That made the difference for me. All in all it's a much more comfortable ride than the 5.0. I searched up and down the coast till I found one under 30K and jumped on it as soon as it was listed.
Old     (runin90lx)      Join Date: Sep 2009       11-14-2013, 7:14 AM Reply   
i guess i need to go test drive one. i have a lifted f250 that tows awesome but it sits in my driveway 80 or 90% of the time since i have a work truck and im working most of the time. so a cheaper truck makes sense, just not sure i want to give up my big truck LOL. the mileage with the eco boost im seeing is almost identical to what im getting in my big truck but if i could find one that was cheap enough to justify the payment it might be worth doing. if i do get a ECO i would definetly have to put some bigger wheels and tires to make it stand out a little more haha
Old     (Cabledog)      Join Date: Dec 2013       12-01-2013, 7:09 PM Reply   
I have been very happy with the performance of my 2012 F150 crew cab with the 5.0. The Eco Boost is definitely faster and gets a little better mileage for regular day to day commuting in my experience. I tow a 2014 Supreme V226 with my 5.0. One of my bros that owns a 2013 F150 with Eco and a 13 22' Supra, we haven't weighed the boats but between fuel, gear etc they are comparable. We frequently head to Eastern Washington from the Seattle suburbs. Over the passes both ways and a 9 mile (I'm guessing) 8-10% grade out of the Columbia River Gorge they are both capable of well over the posted 70mph speed limit. We have noticed that the 5.0 gets a little better mileage when towing and are guessing it's due to the turbos spooling and using more fuel. Both trucks are great and I would own either one but the Eco does have more power that you can "feel" when on the boost. I'm not what you would call a defensive driver so I average about 16mpg but I have aftermarket wheels that cost 1-2 mpg in daily driving. My biggest complaint is now that I added a leveling kit the back sags while towing. Before it just leveled the truck by hooking the trailer up.
Y
Old     (nitrousbird)      Join Date: Sep 2008       12-02-2013, 7:32 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by pprior View Post
Nitrousbird:

I have a forged 383 LT1 sitting on an engine stand in my garage with a D1SC Procharger in my basement ready for it. Boat also has an LS1 powering it. I'm all for overpowering things, just being realistic on the needs of most.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       12-02-2013, 6:51 PM Reply   
Austin, I have no idea what you just said.
Old     (runin90lx)      Join Date: Sep 2009       12-03-2013, 10:52 AM Reply   
do all of you ECO guys have the 3.55 gears or the 3.73 gears?
Old     (alans)      Join Date: Aug 2005       12-03-2013, 1:28 PM Reply   
Old     (PureWakesurfing1)      Join Date: Sep 2012       12-03-2013, 4:34 PM Reply   
Update. I LOVE this truck. Just put 2500 miles on my truck since I picked up my new ride about 3 weeks ago. Most of those miles were hauling a trailer. My towing mileage has increased significantly up to 14-16 with the boat, and 13 mpg with a 6500# enclosed race trailer. I found higher octane fuel really helps mileage. I got 29mpg unloaded on a 60 mile highway trip. Definitely not the norm by any means, but it was really exciting! You do have to feather the pedal to see great mileage....and that kinda sucks! LOL. I've got the 3.31 gears that came stock, but it doesn't seem to respond any differently that my buddy's 3.73 Eco that I borrow pulling the same boat and race trailer. One thing about his 3.73 gearing is in the rain you have to be very gentle on the throttle or the tires seem to want to spin (at least more than my 3.31). That being said, the other day I kinda forgot I had the boat behind me and mashed the gas as I went to pass someone and spun up the rear tires at like 40mph. Crazy power!
Old     (CHern5972)      Join Date: Jul 2012       12-04-2013, 8:11 AM Reply   
Bill ill look today when i get to my truck
Old     (blackstang)      Join Date: Dec 2013       01-23-2014, 3:57 PM Reply   
I know this isn't a for sale thread, but I have Superchips Flashpaq, K&N cold air intake and AFE stainless 4" exhaust off of a 2011 Ecoboost I would like to sell if any of you Ecoboost owners are interested? The exhaust might be difficult to ship though? I would possibly separate the kit if it helps.
Old     (Froggy)      Join Date: Nov 2013       01-24-2014, 5:44 AM Reply   
That is absolutely amazing I'm so happy for you. 29 MPG on a vehicle that only rated at 23 mph . Have you done some upgrades to achieve those numbers? Hard to believe Ford would hide the fact that the eco gets such amazing mileage. I'm a GM man but my 6.0L only gets 10mph towing and 15 non towing . With numbers like that sign me up its Ford for me.
Old     (stevev210)      Join Date: Feb 2005       01-24-2014, 8:12 PM Reply   

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk
Old     (BradM07SS)      Join Date: Jul 2011       01-25-2014, 2:45 AM Reply   
My 2013 Ecoboost 8" lift 37's. Still pulls great with plenty power.
Attached Images

Old     (PureWakesurfing1)      Join Date: Sep 2012       01-25-2014, 6:55 PM Reply   
Quote:
That is absolutely amazing I'm so happy for you. 29 MPG on a vehicle that only rated at 23 mph . Have you done some upgrades to achieve those numbers? Hard to believe Ford would hide the fact that the eco gets such amazing mileage. I'm a GM man but my 6.0L only gets 10mph towing and 15 non towing . With numbers like that sign me up its Ford for me.
Not sure if you're trying to be sarcastic, but with each of the different gear ratios available there are sweet spots where these trucks just seem to coast. Mine with the 3.31 happens to be at 47mph. No upgrades - just running 93 pump gas. Granted, it really takes work to feather the pedal and maintain that mpg for a sustained period of time, but if you are intent on driving like miss daisy you can achieve that type of mpg consistently. I wasn't a Ford guy until this truck, and I drove a lot of them before I found one that was traded in who's turbos weren't all f'd up. [/QUOTE]
Old     (dyost)      Join Date: Jan 2007       04-21-2016, 8:58 PM Reply   
Know this thread is a little old.
I'm assuming all these EcoBoost experiences are on the 3.5L?

Anyone have any experience with the 2.7L Ecoboost?

I tow an 89 Supra sunsport, I'm guessing weights around 4500-5000 lbs on the trailer (Factory dry weight is 2950, but with very solid floor/stringer rebuild, tower, stereo equipment, etc... and trailer guessing closer to 4500-5000).
Old     (dyost)      Join Date: Jan 2007       04-21-2016, 9:09 PM Reply   
I'm looking at possibly going with a 2.7L, the dealers in my area seem to have lots of them and you seem to get better pricing.
My trip to the lake is about 10 miles.
Maybe 1-2 long trips per year but thats it, tend to hit the local lake more than anywhere else.
Old     (beg4wake)      Join Date: Aug 2012       04-22-2016, 6:33 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyost View Post
I'm looking at possibly going with a 2.7L, the dealers in my area seem to have lots of them and you seem to get better pricing.
My trip to the lake is about 10 miles.
Maybe 1-2 long trips per year but thats it, tend to hit the local lake more than anywhere else.
dyost.....In your scenario, you would probably be ok with the 2.7. HOWEVER, if you ever go to a larger boat, pretty much anything breaking 5k lbs, you will start to feel the slug of the 2.7. But the 2.7 is a very impressive little motor and for your current situation it will haul just fine! So long as you don't have a lot of steep uphill climbs in your 10 mile commute. If you think you will ever consider upgrading your boat though, I would opt for the 3.5.
Old     (zimme)      Join Date: Feb 2013       04-22-2016, 12:07 PM Reply   
I have no experience with the 2.7L, but hooking my Supra up to the 3.5L is a dream. Love my truck.
Old     (prorider17)      Join Date: Apr 2016       04-22-2016, 5:25 PM Reply   
I own a 2013 FX2 with the ecoboost, and had a 2013 5.0 before it.... I will not go back to a V8 ever again. I get better MPG, smoother ride and it hauls!!
Old     (dyost)      Join Date: Jan 2007       04-22-2016, 6:53 PM Reply   
Thanks for the quick response guys.

Well I pulled the trigger on a new 2015 2.7L.
Before I bought though, a dealer had given me an overnight test drive. I hooked up my boat and tugged it around for awhile in the morning before I returned it. It actually pulled really well. I found some hills, I could accelerate from 75 to 85mph uphill on the interstate no problem. And the low end was pretty good also.

This new 2.7 is actually more hp and torque than the 2002 F150 5.4L V8 it is replacing, at least on the spec sheet. But this morning I confirmed a better pull than my old truck. With my old 02 I really had to goose the throttle backing back up the driveway. With this eco, it just motored on up with a steady hold about 15-20% on the throttle.

Brian, I agree, but even if I ever do get into a new boat it would probably be a 20 footer with a narrower beam like a Tige RZR, or NXT, or Axis A20. I don't ride with a big crew and like storing in my own garage. So I'm thinking this truck will be good for a while. Pretty pumped on the purchase. I'll post a pic later.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-23-2016, 6:46 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by prorider17 View Post
I own a 2013 FX2 with the ecoboost, and had a 2013 5.0 before it.... I will not go back to a V8 ever again. I get better MPG, smoother ride and it hauls!!
I have a 2015 crew cab F150 with the 5.0. It has 385 hP and 325 lb ft of torque. I get 19.6 to 19.8 mpg around town in the hill country of Texas. On the Highway I get 22 to 23 mpg. My wife and I agree it rides better than her 2016 Lincoln MKX. My truck is a 2WD which weighs less and gets better fuel economy than the 4WD. Towing my 2011 RZ2 around town in the hill country yields 14.8 MPG and it has plenty of power to haul the load. I hauled 38 bags of concrete at 80 pounds each which is 3040 pounds by itself. Plus I had several more supplies in the bed also while we were installing a fence. I don't think Ford recommends that much weight in the bed, but it handled it great. The best part of the 5.0 is when you step on it you think you're in a 5.0 Mustang by the sound of the exhaust note. Don't get me wrong it accelerates like a powerful truck, not like a 5.0 Mustang. Lol
Old     (stevev210)      Join Date: Feb 2005       04-23-2016, 3:11 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwb4me View Post
I have a 2015 crew cab F150 with the 5.0. It has 385 hP and 325 lb ft of torque. I get 19.6 to 19.8 mpg around town in the hill country of Texas. On the Highway I get 22 to 23 mpg. My wife and I agree it rides better than her 2016 Lincoln MKX. My truck is a 2WD which weighs less and gets better fuel economy than the 4WD. Towing my 2011 RZ2 around town in the hill country yields 14.8 MPG and it has plenty of power to haul the load. I hauled 38 bags of concrete at 80 pounds each which is 3040 pounds by itself. Plus I had several more supplies in the bed also while we were installing a fence. I don't think Ford recommends that much weight in the bed, but it handled it great. The best part of the 5.0 is when you step on it you think you're in a 5.0 Mustang by the sound of the exhaust note. Don't get me wrong it accelerates like a powerful truck, not like a 5.0 Mustang. Lol
I thought for 2015 the 5.0 has 387 torque and 385 HP.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-23-2016, 7:09 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevev210 View Post
I thought for 2015 the 5.0 has 387 torque and 385 HP.
You're right. I misread the engine specifications chart. 387 is the torque.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       04-25-2016, 5:40 PM Reply   
Throw a K&N Intake on and you'll really hear the motor rip. I was a little put off at first but have grown accustom to it.