Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (ChrisW)      Join Date: Jul 2016       04-30-2017, 9:33 AM Reply   
This is my first time posting on the forum. I'm trying to make a few changes to the boat, but I have a couple questions that I'm having a hard time figure out.

First, I'm adding a JL 12W6 under the helm. I've got my box built to JL specs, but it interferes with the factory footrest. I see were some people have completely removed the factory seat base/ footrest assembly and replaced it with a seat pedestal. I like the idea of the pedestal because you can adjust the height in order to see over the windshield.

The shortest adjustable pedestal I can find is about 1.75" taller (8.75" total) than the factory base in the fully retracted position. Is this too tall? This pedestal also wants a cutout in the deck to allow the cylinder to extend down. Does anyone know if there is a void below the deck? Or if there is a better seat base option I should look at?

Here is a link to the pedestal I was looking at https://www.westmarine.com/buy/sprin...-1-2--17074667

Second, I'd like to upgrade the factory rear ballast. Right now they are 400 lb fly high sacs. I see that people go with 1100's, but how do they protect the water inlet valve and jabsco pump? It seems like a 50" long bag would smother them.

Thanks for your help,

Chris
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       04-30-2017, 12:08 PM Reply   
What specs did you build it to, internal volume and tuning Hz or copy the external dimensions of their rectangle enclosure in the manual? With most boat applications, as you are experiencing, you have design the enclosure to fit the boat and match the woofer. Very rare to have the rectangle enclosure pictured in a manual, fit the confines of an under helm cavity. I suppose you can further modify the boat in order to make JL's enclosure fit, ot back to the drawing board and build an enclosure that fits the boat.
Old     (ChrisW)      Join Date: Jul 2016       04-30-2017, 12:51 PM Reply   
This is the first enclosure that I have built so I went the easy route. I just went off of JL's sealed enclosure volume specs of 1cf (net). It ended up being 16wx14hx12d. I researched doing a ported box and probably could have made it fit, but I would also like to mount my amps under the helm and it seemed like it would be getting awful tight. Also with the custom dimensions required to make it fit, the port tuning was starting to get complicated. The other problem with leaving the factory foot rest is that the bottom part of the sub would be concealed by the step like this first pic. I was hoping to have something like the second pic.

I'm planning on running 3 amps under the helm, 1 PPI P1000.1 and 2 P900.4

Thanks,

Chris

These are not my pictures, just found from a google search.
Attached Images

Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       04-30-2017, 3:17 PM Reply   
A sealed enclosure gives you a ton of flexibility with HxWxL dimensions as long as you get close to the target internal volume. You can even do a wedge shape or other irregular shape if needed. Just dont get too crazy with small appendages.

I would look to locate the amps in the port locker, rather than under the helm.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       05-01-2017, 8:27 AM Reply   
1100s all day. My Sanger runs aerator pumps behind the engine so mine fit just fine. Need to reinforce your dividers tho.

maybe relocate the pumps or box them in so they don't get crushed.
Old     (ChrisW)      Join Date: Jul 2016       05-01-2017, 6:42 PM Reply   
Thanks everybody for your help so far.

I will crawl in there tonight and see how hard it would be to relocate the pumps. I know that the '16s and newer came with the bigger bags, not sure if they moved the pumps or built a guard.

Unfortunately, relocating the amps to the port locker will have to be an absolute last resort. The wife likes to take A LOT of stuff when we go out and I told her that the stereo wouldn't interfere, so in less I absolutely have to, I don't want to go that route.

To the people that have Linexed their MDF speaker boxes, does it seem to keep the moisture out? It's either Linex or fiberglass resin, Linex seems a lot easier.

Thanks,

Chris
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       05-01-2017, 8:32 PM Reply   
Chris,

Nine of ten wake boats locate the amps from the factory, in the port side locker. They take up zero storage. This includes Supreme.

fiberglass in resin is for strength, not waterproof. You dont need fiberglass body filler, but rather a 2-part marine epoxy coating. Much better than bed liner IMO.
Old     (ChrisW)      Join Date: Jul 2016       05-03-2017, 6:18 AM Reply   
I took a look behind the engine, but it doesn't look like there is a lot of room near the exhaust. Has anybody seen how the '16 sanger v215's and newer mount and protect the pumps?
Old     (RPM_DLX)      Join Date: Jul 2010       05-03-2017, 7:38 AM Reply   
Under the glovebox area is where my amps are mounted on my 05 V215. I have a five channel NVX amp that powers my JL audio sub under the dash and the 2 pairs of wetsounds XS-650 speakers in the boat. Then I have an NVX four channel amp that powers up 4 Memphis HCLD tower speakers. My kicker zone control is mounted near the amps as well with the knobs under the steering wheel. I used the remote bass knob for the five channel amp to control the sub so its a poor mans three zone control .

Last edited by RPM_DLX; 05-03-2017 at 7:47 AM. Reason: added
Old     (ChrisW)      Join Date: Jul 2016       05-03-2017, 4:57 PM Reply   
RPM,

Did you modify your factory footrest when you mounted your sub?
Old     (RPM_DLX)      Join Date: Jul 2010       05-08-2017, 7:48 AM Reply   
I didn't mount the sub but I was told it was mounted up under and behind the dash. I don't see the sub at all and its not behind the foot rest. I'm guessing the majority of the dash was taken apart to access that area. Its a clean install. I haven't seen it but you can definitely hear it. I was told it was a JL audio 10" but I have no idea what model. The sub is about the only piece of stereo equipment still left on the boat from when I bought it.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       05-09-2017, 1:47 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisW View Post
I took a look behind the engine, but it doesn't look like there is a lot of room near the exhaust. Has anybody seen how the '16 sanger v215's and newer mount and protect the pumps?
do the 215s still come with hard tanks? My 230 did. there's a carpeted piece of plastic that would've covered the pump and hoses. was likely removed when the sacs were put in. and 400 probably don't come close to hitting it.

got a compressor? fill the bag with air and see how close they get

those bolt studs would make me nervous as well. maybe block all that off with something
Old     (getssum)      Join Date: Jul 2005       05-09-2017, 3:37 PM Reply   
Heck, you don't need a compressor, a shop vac in reverse or a leaf blower blows up fat sac's shockingly fast!
Old     (RPM_DLX)      Join Date: Jul 2010       05-10-2017, 7:48 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd1 View Post
do the 215s still come with hard tanks? My 230 did. there's a carpeted piece of plastic that would've covered the pump and hoses. was likely removed when the sacs were put in. and 400 probably don't come close to hitting it.

got a compressor? fill the bag with air and see how close they get

those bolt studs would make me nervous as well. maybe block all that off with something

The pump for ballast is ran different on the newer V215. On my 05 the ballast pump is alongside the motor below the floor level.

I did the 1100lb ballast bag upgrade on my 05 V215 last year and I cut the bolt studs down with my cutoff wheel. I then laminated a type of rigid foam over the nut and remaining bolt stud and to the wall of the boat. One season down and it worked like a charm.
Old     (Preston)      Join Date: Jul 2010       05-11-2017, 7:08 AM Reply   
The picture of the boat with the pedestal is my old Sanger. The picture is with a cheap pedestal i bought just to see if I liked it. I actually switched it out to the same Springfield one you are looking at. There is plenty of void space below the floor, you just have to make sure you avoid the outer stringer. This was probably my favorite mod I did to the boat.
Old     (Hyperryd)      Join Date: May 2014       05-11-2017, 8:12 AM Reply   
Here is a box I built years ago for a Sanger like that. Two 10". Just built it a little taller. The pic of the raw box is upside down.
Attached Images

Old     (DW205)      Join Date: Jul 2015       05-18-2017, 11:52 AM Reply   
I just added Rockford Fosgate 8" tower speakers last weekend, sound pretty good and not overwhelmingly expensive. Also, 1100 lbs in each rear locker and a Swell Wake Shaper really work well. Mine is a '16 V215 and came with that from the factory.