Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (SangerTom)      Join Date: Aug 2010       06-30-2019, 2:50 AM Reply   
Super excited to go to Powell for the first time in August. Leaving from Wahweep. I've got some questions:

1) What type of rope should I use to tow the boat
2) Once you have your spot - how are you tying up your boat? To the houseboat or by anchor?
3) I think I want to be within an hour of Dangling Rope. Suggestions on spots to look for and how long does it take to get up that far?

Thanks
Old     (COV2)      Join Date: Sep 2017       06-30-2019, 3:43 AM Reply   
The answers to all of your questions can be answered at wayneswords.net . Do a search there.
Old     (SangerTom)      Join Date: Aug 2010       06-30-2019, 9:57 AM Reply   
thanks
Old     (Davewfo)      Join Date: Apr 2013       07-02-2019, 5:07 AM Reply   
The biggest thing is Powell is huge and all the cool stuff is near or past (Dangling Rope) and you will spend alot on fuel. Walweap to Dangling Rope Marina is about 2 hours each way in a ski boat doing 30mph (40 miles as the crow fly’s from Walwheep) in a house boat I would assume it would take you 6-8 hours to get up to Dangling Rope Marina in a houseboat. If you are renting a houseboat you might want to try and rent from Bullfrog Marina which is much higher and will save you a ton of fuel osts.

Average houseboat fuel ... 2 gallons per hour (GPH), and do @ 6-7 knots (7-8 MPH), running at @ 2500 RPM.

Fuel Prices
https://www.lakepowellmarinas.com/bo...s/fuel-prices/
Towing a ski boat behind a housebout I would use 3/4 inch rope about 75 to 100 feet back.

Cell reception is pretty limited and non-existant once you start to get away from Walwheep area.

GPS Points of Interest
https://www.thewave.info/LakePowellCode/Map.html

Googlemaps map of Lake Powell with 267 points of interest
https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer...10.8801325&z=9
Old     (SangerTom)      Join Date: Aug 2010       07-08-2019, 4:20 PM Reply   
Thanks Dave. I will check out the links and your tips.
Old     (ttduncan)      Join Date: Jan 2008       07-24-2019, 7:47 AM Reply   
looks like you have some pretty good references. ill throw mine out. I am in CO so i only have been to bullforg, never to page, wahweep, antelope point, etc. we usually launch from bullfrog then cruise down to Escalante and camp for the week there. I do not know any camping south of dangling rope.

we pull the ski boat with a 6 person tube rope, usually use 2 ropes together. adjust the rope length based on the houseboat wake. however, we usually drive both down, some people cruise the houseboat leisure, other ride and play on the way down, go ahead and scout out the camp site and claim it up. pulling the ski boat we have not noticed any significant fuel economy of the house boat. just an extra tank of fuel for the ski boat.

for distances, I think:
wahweep is about mile 5
dangling rope 40
bullfrog 92

house boat speed vary i think, but they are usually slow. like many good things in life, YMMV.

have fun
Old     (C)      Join Date: Jul 2018       07-25-2019, 6:10 AM Reply   
Just got back, went out of Bullfrog and parked the HB by Iceberg canyon and cruised through Escalante river found a cool leg called David Gulch river it was sick. We anchored about 40 ft away from the HB with box anchors and sand spikes. Wind wasn't bad at all good times. Have fun and only bring red gas cans they wouldn't fill my clears kinda sucked but what can you do. Mice everywhere so rig your lines with plastic plates and set the mouse traps that come with HB not kidding.
Old     (SangerTom)      Join Date: Aug 2010       07-27-2019, 4:52 PM Reply   
Thanks all - thanks for tips. Excited to go
Old     (ryand121)      Join Date: Feb 2007       07-29-2019, 7:13 AM Reply   
1) Easiest thing with towing a boat behind the houseboat is using one of the houseboat anchor lines. Tie a Bowline knot to the bow eye on the boat being towed and you’re good to go. Basically just a good knot to know altogether and it also works great to tie the anchor ropes to the anchors you’ll use on the shore.

2) As for tying up to the houseboat, I have mooring whips on the back of my houseboat that work awesome if the water is rough but if it’s too bad, we’ll use an Anchor Buddy/box anchor and point the bow of the wakeboat into the waves with a stern line tied to the back of the houseboat.

Another thing, Powell is a big lake and wind can get pretty hardcore quick. When anchoring the houseboat on shore, we use two stern lines off each side and two bow lines, for a total of 6 anchors out. We’ll also throw a 7th one out of it gets really bad. It seems like overkill until you go through a bad storm down there. Oh, and don’t pick a camping spot under what could be a waterfall! Flash floods from rain storms that are miles away will make their way to the lake on way or another!

Anymore question, feel free to ask!
Attached Images

Old     (SangerTom)      Join Date: Aug 2010       08-04-2019, 6:26 AM Reply   
Thanks for all tips. Ryand21 - the pictures really help. We're 19 days away - but who's counting.

I'm sure once I'm out on the water all the tips will start to come together.
Old     (Drbabs)      Join Date: Jul 2019       08-05-2019, 9:13 AM Reply   
we are headed back in september after missing a few years- and i have never been so excited! have fun