Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (ridemarktwain)      Join Date: Aug 2008       03-05-2013, 2:03 PM Reply   
I ruptured my achilles last week. I would like to know if anyone else on wakeworld has done this and what thier rehab experiance was like.
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       03-05-2013, 5:28 PM Reply   
Not from riding, right? I've never heard of anybody doing it wakeboarding. Bummer either way...sorry dude.
Old     (ridemarktwain)      Join Date: Aug 2008       03-06-2013, 5:59 AM Reply   
No, not from riding. It happened playing basketball in Africa, side note, I hate that sport. But, I figured I would play beacuse in a few hours my flight was leaving and I would be sitting for 24 hours. Well I got to sit for 24 hours with a torn achilles. Orthopedic dotor said it is not completely torn.
Old     (Therapy10)      Join Date: Oct 2011       03-06-2013, 8:53 AM Reply   
I have no experience myself but am a PT so have experience working with people rehabbing the injury. Most people get surgical repair but the nonsurgical route (cast)has been shown to be an effective treatment (although re-tear rates are higher in this population). After repair usually you're non-weightbearing for 6 weeks and minimal calf strengthening for next few weeks. Long-term results are dramatically different (like anything) for those that take rehab serious and those that get ROM and gait normal and then give up are still limited at a year when others are back to normal. Look online to find some post op protocols to get a feel for what you'll be doing.
Old     (ridemarktwain)      Join Date: Aug 2008       03-06-2013, 11:25 AM Reply   
From what I've read I will be lucky to get back on a board in 6 months.
Old     (mbsteez)      Join Date: May 2005       03-06-2013, 12:16 PM Reply   
Yep, I have, snowboarding. Did it in March about 4 years ago and had it surgically repaired. If I remember what the doc said, a full rupture has to be surgically repaired, and it has to be done within a week or so to ensure proper healing. I can still do everything now that I used to do, other than the scar tissue making it hard to fit my snowboard boots.
Old     (Therapy10)      Join Date: Oct 2011       03-06-2013, 3:31 PM Reply   
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2684209/
Old     (ridemarktwain)      Join Date: Aug 2008       03-07-2013, 6:39 AM Reply   
Thanks Nick. My doctor recommended not getting surgery since it was not a full tear. I can feel my more strength everyday. While at my desk I'll write the alphabet with my toe. I can walk but with a slight limp. I feel I've made good progress in the last week.
Old     (dud77)      Join Date: Aug 2009       07-10-2013, 7:25 AM Reply   
Guys tore my Achilles last week wakeboarding, I shorted a flip and landed heavy on my toes. I felt and heard the dreaded pop. Sounded a lot like my ACL when it went but not as painful at first. Had Surgery on Wednesday. What's recovery like on this injury? Pretty painful today. I changed my cast out yesterday to a little more neutral position and I'm in pain now. I'm 34 year old and don't want this to be the end of my wakeboarding but looking like it might be. Are you 100% once recovered?