Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (wakeboardsam)      Join Date: Jun 2008       12-06-2009, 8:44 PM Reply   
I think it was Grant that posted the SAN interior speaker install where they used rings to support the height of the speaker under the upholstry. Can anyone find it, I can't.
Old     (bmh2208)      Join Date: Apr 2004       12-07-2009, 6:14 AM Reply   
Found it!!!

Was a PITA to find. He's used about 5 different pseudonames over the years.

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/65921/423605.html

I actually used his thread to show me how to do mine. maybe helpful too....

About 3/4 way down this page...

http://planetnautique.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=7874&post days=0&postorder=asc&start=105
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       12-07-2009, 10:00 AM Reply   
The open bow has about twice the thickness of the side's You will need the thickness of 2 3/4inc MDF rings for the open bow. And 1 3/4 MDF ring for the sides.
Old     (wakeboardsam)      Join Date: Jun 2008       12-07-2009, 10:20 AM Reply   
Thanks. My brother is installing 6 of the Polk DB651's from Amazon in my old Signature Series San this winter. I originally bought the boat from the dealer and it didn't have a stock stereo. I currently just has four 6x9 tower speakers in a Squid built box.
Old     (pnichols)      Join Date: Jan 2007       12-07-2009, 10:37 AM Reply   
Oh man, I was hoping I would just have to take the old speakers out and just replace it with the Polk DB651's. I'm hoping I don't have to go through all of that to install them. I have a 2006 Mobious LSV that all I'm wanting to do is replace the existing speakers that are already in the boat. I believe the speakers I have in the boat now are 6.5".
Old     (wakeboardsam)      Join Date: Jun 2008       12-07-2009, 10:53 AM Reply   
I doubt you will have to go through all this. The boat I am installing them in doesn't have any stock speakers...
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       12-07-2009, 11:52 AM Reply   
Sam,

Here's how we do it. I prefer a solvent-based birch over MDF. But if its resin-coated, it shouldn't get wet in this application so use your own discretion. Make stackable 1/2" and 3/4" inch thick birch spacer rings. Split them into two equal pieces for easy insertion and mounting behind the foam. Drill and countersink serveral pass-through mounting holes in each half. Resin-coat the rings. Screw the right combination of rings in place behind the foam in order to obtain the correct depth reduction. Pull the vinyl tight into the opening and terminate it's edge by stapling the vinyl into the edge of the birch rings. This will keep the vinyl from pulling or receeding from around the speaker later. Burn through the vinyl and foam with a soldering tip so that the drill bit or screws do not get caught up in it during installation of the speakers. As a precaution, it doesn't hurt to drill in reverse. Predrill pilot holes into the birch rings and screw the speakers into the rings through the foam. The rings will limit how far the foam compresses and thereby eliminates wrinkles in the vinyl that would otherwise appear as you tighten the speaker down.

If you have an aversion to birch then you can use HDPE instead, although the staples won't grab as well.

David
Earmark Marine
Old     (wakeboardsam)      Join Date: Jun 2008       12-07-2009, 12:02 PM Reply   
Thanks David, I'm actually going to use aluminium rings. My buddy owns a machine shop and I can bribe him to make them for me. He is the same guy that made the original LED rings and grills for the wetsounds speakers and the remote bezel for signature series boats... We will do everything with button head allen bolts and large washers...