Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (wakemania)      Join Date: Sep 2008       06-21-2010, 5:37 AM Reply   
We have a stained lake where we ride and it always leaves a yellow stain at the waterline on the boat (white hull). I try to keep the boat waxed, but it is still very hard to get off by just wiping with a wet towel. I've mixed some ZipWax and water in a spray bottle and spray that on. It makes it easier but does not completely remove the stain. Any suggestions on a good wipedown product for the hull after each use? One that will get this stain off, hopefully without stripping the wax each time.
Old     (tonality)      Join Date: Mar 2005       06-21-2010, 6:58 AM Reply   
StarBrite Hull Cleaner, available at any boaters store (bass pro, boaters world, whatever). Use sparingly, I would recommend buying the bigger bulk bottle and then transferring it to a spraybottle. Be sure you have a hose handy to wash off the boat when you're done.
Old     (olskooltige)      Join Date: Mar 2007       06-21-2010, 7:12 AM Reply   
Second on the Star Brite, but you aren't going to get it off without stripping the wax. It on there stained because its through, under, in the wax as well.

I used it several times before after being overnight in chocolate milk. I spray it on, let it sit, then it just hoses off. Followed it with soap and a coat of wax.

I would change my wax to something a little more resilient. The only thing I found that would prevent staining was RejeX. We use it to fight bugs on aircraft flying in the Gulf. Used it on the hull and it lasted about 6 months.
Old     (ajholt7)      Join Date: Apr 2009       06-21-2010, 7:32 AM Reply   
I have heard this stuff helps to protect against stains. http://www.properautocare.com/prmapowite.html
Old     (l_b)      Join Date: Aug 2009       06-21-2010, 8:21 AM Reply   
I use a mixture of vinegar, water, and, lime away. Very cheap and does a great job taking the stains off. I spray the whole boat down then come back and wipe off with towel after it sits for a minute.
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       06-21-2010, 8:55 AM Reply   
Lime away, star brite, CLR, vinegar and toillet bowl cleaner all have a mild to moderate acids and it will pretty much take an acid based product to get stains but using any will eat into your wax. For daily use, I would probably go with the most mild acid like vinegar and water or some diluted CLR or hull cleaner and work the concentration up until you get results and hit it with a spray on or pump wax afterwards if you are worried about the wax. Some lakes just make you pay a higher toll to keep the hull clean.
Old     (wakemania)      Join Date: Sep 2008       06-21-2010, 11:14 AM Reply   
I use the Star Brite hull cleaner a couple of times a year to get it really clean. I follow that up with a couple of coats of wax. I have tried the Star Brite marine polish and that works better than anything else (as far as wax) that I have tried. The RejeX looks interesting, I may have to give that a try.
Old     (petrey10)      Join Date: Apr 2010       06-21-2010, 11:33 AM Reply   
I have the same problem man but I use SLIMMY GRIMMY... its awesome!! Spray on wait 20-30 seconds and wipe off... then spray some water on the hull to totally get it off then spray on wax.... piece of cake....
Old     (lightning_rod)      Join Date: Jul 2009       06-25-2010, 5:11 AM Reply   
X2...Slimmy Grimmy is the greatest stuff for lake scum. Spray and walk away
Old     (chall8143)      Join Date: Sep 2008       06-25-2010, 6:03 AM Reply   
I use SLIMY GRIMY too. It can't be eaiser to use. Spray on and hose off.
Old     (petrey10)      Join Date: Apr 2010       06-25-2010, 6:30 AM Reply   
i wouldn't spray and walk away.... its got acid in it which is why it works so well and why they have to rinse it.... spray on wait 20 seconds... wipe off... quik hose off... then apply some type of wax