Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through September 04, 2009

Old     (h2ohangtime)      Join Date: Aug 2002       09-03-2009, 8:35 AM Reply   
My wife and I are getting close to buying our first boat. We've pretty much decided on a Nautique and will be looking at a really nicely equipped, lightly used 2001 Air Nautique this weekend. My question is, will I be sorry if I get the DD and not a 2000 SAN (not as nicely equipped) which is the other option?

We mostly wakeboard (intermediate) and would like to do some surfing and then pull the little kids on the tube.

Would love to hear the opinions...thanks.
Old     (alans)      Join Date: Aug 2005       09-03-2009, 8:38 AM Reply   
There is a strong appeal to buy the Air Nautique for the "simplicity" of a Direct Drive, single trailer, etc. It soon wears off and I think you would soon regret not getting the v-drive while you had the chance.
Old     (vr6mole)      Join Date: Feb 2009       09-03-2009, 8:39 AM Reply   
I'd get the 2000 SAN instead...having the wrap around seating would be nice if you have kids. With the d-drive the kids would be all the way on the other side of the engine cover. With the v-drive they would be more in your "reach"
Old     (scottj814)      Join Date: Aug 2008       09-03-2009, 8:43 AM Reply   
i would definantly get the v-drive, you will be happier with it in the long run.
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       09-03-2009, 8:45 AM Reply   
My wife and I bought a direct drive this year and although there are some upsides to the v-drive - we're fine with our direct drive. You lose some floor space - but it actually stretches out with usable space having a dd. With a vdrive your seating moves up in the back due to the motor and sundeck so you lose a couple feet of front to back space.

I see no problem with a SAN as a first boat. My wife and I will enjoy our DD for one more summer and move to a v-drive for our third year on the water.
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       09-03-2009, 9:04 AM Reply   
Demo both boats and see what works out best for your situation, both great boats.
Old     (chilidog)      Join Date: Dec 2007       09-03-2009, 9:04 AM Reply   
Go vdrive, more social seating, the people up front can actually talk to the people in the back while underway, the rear seat isn't on the floor in the back, tons of storage space in the rear lockers. Unless you are a skier worried about a little wake I see no reason to get a DD, other than saving some money on a 1st boat to see if you are going to be into it or not
Old    K.B.C.            09-03-2009, 10:00 AM Reply   
Yes, you will be sorry. Get the v-drive.
Old    shooter_08            09-03-2009, 10:41 AM Reply   
+1 V-drive
Old     (h2ohangtime)      Join Date: Aug 2002       09-03-2009, 10:44 AM Reply   
Thanks all...really appreciate the feedback. I need to do a little more homework on the 2000 SAN, but I can tell you that the 2001 Air Nautique is a great deal. I don't know how you boat owners made the decisions you did, but I guess it's a nice problem to have!
Old     (srh00z)      Join Date: Jun 2003       09-03-2009, 10:59 AM Reply   
I have owned both DD's and V-drives and I am liking my V-drive more and more every time I go out. No stepping over bags, better storage, easier to weight/hide ballast. You also mentioned kids, I would think it is easier to keep track of kids with the seating arrangement of a V-drive. The SAN also has higher gunnels than the DD hulls (or at least for certain years they did). Higher gunnels always made me feel a little better about weighting on one side for wake surfing. Resale on the V-drive will be better too.
Old     (nbigger)      Join Date: May 2008       09-03-2009, 11:23 AM Reply   
I agree I have a DD and will be buying a V-drive for my next boat. If you like to do any other water sports though the DD will give you the ability to have a ski wake. I think the DD is also not that bad for seating when you are stoped and hanging out but while underway the V-drive is way better. If the DD is alot cheaper do not throw it out as a option they are great boats but if you can get a SAN you will never look back.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-03-2009, 11:26 AM Reply   
All you DD's converting to V drives let me know when you're selling your boats!!! I guess I'm the opposite of the norm.
Old     (h2ohangtime)      Join Date: Aug 2002       09-03-2009, 11:38 AM Reply   
The 2000 SAN is about $2k more in asking price than the 2001 AN and has a few less (arguably insignificant) bells and whistles than the AN.
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       09-03-2009, 11:47 AM Reply   
Get the V-drive IMO.
Old     (mike3500)      Join Date: Jun 2008       09-03-2009, 11:55 AM Reply   
V-DRIVE FOR SURE!!!
Old     (seth)      Join Date: Sep 2002       09-03-2009, 11:58 AM Reply   
You will get the $2k back out of it if you ever want to sell the boat, and it will be much easier to sell if you ever want to upgrade.
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       09-03-2009, 11:59 AM Reply   
It's not like you can't ski behind a V-drive - that's what they were made for. The pros of a DD are: skiing the course, easier access to the packing gland and impeller, and handling. Everything else is better with a V-drive IMO.
Old     (seth)      Join Date: Sep 2002       09-03-2009, 12:00 PM Reply   
This 99 is in your area and might be worth taking a look at.

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/boa/1355515716.html
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       09-03-2009, 12:31 PM Reply   
V-drive no questions asked.

If you get a DD in two years you'll be selling to get a v-drive... trust me, I know this.
Old     (nukepower)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-03-2009, 12:43 PM Reply   
I will agree with the majority of people that say you will be unhappy. I started with an 18 ft Cobalt I/O, and soon found myself wakeboarding/waterskiing more that just cruising around. I then bought a Malibu Sunsetter LXI (direct drive) and even though it had a tower, wedge and all I eventually realized no matter what I did to improve it, I still had DD capabilities and was never going to reach the potential of a V-drive. I bought an 05 X-2 and that boat was more than capable of doing anything I wanted it to behind it. You could wakeboard, ski(disclaimer: I never really tried, but several friends did) and even surf behind it easily. When I get back to the continental US, I will be looking to buy another boat and it WILL be a V-drive, no question.

Save yourself some money and trouble in the long run not having to sell and buy another boat 2 years from now...

Hope this helps.
Old     (laptom)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-03-2009, 12:51 PM Reply   
If you surf... The V-drive is much better and easier to handle...
Old     (joe_crawley)      Join Date: Jan 2007       09-03-2009, 12:56 PM Reply   
You will be sorry for sure.
Old     (v220ls)      Join Date: Aug 2004       09-03-2009, 2:50 PM Reply   
V-drive, V-drive! Both are great boats, but if you Wakeboard, Surf the Super Air is a must... Plus re-sell, like there is that possiblity in this econ would be much better. Years ago Had an X7 MC great boat, but very hard to unload because it was a DD.
Old     (boutwell_43)      Join Date: Aug 2008       09-03-2009, 3:57 PM Reply   
I had a supra dd sold it and bought a 01 210 SAN (vdrive) and love it. I would never go back! More seating, more room, and storage that my last boat (DD) had. Go with the vdrive you will not regret it.
Old     (mattwc)      Join Date: Jun 2008       09-03-2009, 6:51 PM Reply   
I have a 98' Air Nautique DD and it works just fine. BBUUUUTTTTT 3 seasons later i wish i had bought a v-drive instead!!!