Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Trick Tips

Old     (ahaz)      Join Date: Jul 2014       07-28-2014, 9:48 AM Reply   
Hello All,

New to the forum, but have read a TON of comments and input that you've all made to other members that has gotten me this far - so thanks in advance! I thought I'd solicit input on the specific issues I'm having with my backroll attempts. I feel I'm one tweak away from being able to land them, but I consistently land on my heelside edge (and then butt). Is it just more pop/up or getting the rope to my front hip or perhaps just flipping more vertically (so the board goes less around and more up and over). Thoughts? Feedback? Help!

YouTube footage of 4 tries attached here: http://youtu.be/9iIq5I7QQwM?list=UUG...vQ-0y1ORarX_4w

BTW, barefoot wetsuit is highly recommended for those of you in the midst of learning new body slamming tricks - especially at 40 something years old...
Old     (e_rock32)      Join Date: Oct 2009       07-28-2014, 10:18 AM Reply   
Your first attempts look the best because you kept the handle centered and in control. One thing I noticed is that you have a lot of weight on your back foot and not much on your front foot when you're approaching the wake. This might be causing you to land back foot heavy and slip out. Try bending your front leg more on the approach which should cause you to weight that front foot more and even up your landing.
Old     (pipeboarder)      Join Date: Sep 2003       07-29-2014, 2:44 PM Reply   
^ agreed.

im no pro but my two cents are you need to wait to throw it.
you are throwing it too early. go up off the wake like a normal jump, AFTER you leave the wake, throw your head down to your tail. keep your handle at your hips.

G
Old     (snork)      Join Date: Jun 2007       07-29-2014, 4:55 PM Reply   
so close no cigar,
everything looks great, But
start 8-10 feet farther out away from the wake
add 5' to your rope length
this will require you to edge harder to clear the wake
in return you'll get more air time
approach perpendicular to the wake and stand tall off the wake
when youre at the apex of the invert tug slightly on the handle with your left hand
and dont forget to keep your eyes open
Old     (moto817)      Join Date: Jan 2011       07-29-2014, 7:44 PM Reply   
It helps me to drop off my back hand after takeoff also which makes my leading hip rotate forward for the landing
Old     (pipeboarder)      Join Date: Sep 2003       07-30-2014, 12:57 AM Reply   
i disagree a little bit with the starting farther out, adding feet to the line, and edging harder.

you are already going wake to wake, no need for adding line and edging harder. you can add line when you are ready to go bigger but where you are at is a good starting place.

personally my backrolls have the softest edge of all my tricks. you dont need a hard edge for a back roll. just a nice progressive one will do the trick. maybe you could start a little further out, but i don't think it's absolutely necessary. i start in much closer to the wake for my backrolls than anything else really.

stand tall, yes. standing tall and waiting to throw it will already give you more air time with just those two things without having to add line and edge harder.

and yea, agreed with the eyes open. ALWAYS keep your eyes open :P

Last edited by pipeboarder; 07-30-2014 at 12:59 AM.
Old     (CHern5972)      Join Date: Jul 2012       07-30-2014, 4:52 AM Reply   
e rock said it best..
one thing i notice is handle position. It looks good and keeping it center is great. Only thing i can say is try and keep the handle a little closer to the hip(in) and that will help the body position when you are in the landing part of the rotation. Heel heavy is throwing you off and pulling the handle closer will help you stand more upright.
Old     (snork)      Join Date: Jun 2007       07-30-2014, 5:26 AM Reply   
if you look at the video again you'll notice he's way too close to the boat, riding with a short line will cause a quick/fast roll rotation and will most he'll likely slip out on his ars
it wouldn't hurt going back to a 60-65 line length to slow his rotation not 45-50
Old     (codyroberts18)      Join Date: Apr 2014       07-30-2014, 5:31 AM Reply   
Ride all the way up the wake, pop, pull handle to front hip, tuck your right ear to your right shoulder, keep handle in to your hip, ride away and do it over again. The key is riding all the way up the wake and keeping the handle to your hip.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       08-01-2014, 9:16 AM Reply   
I second moto817's hint about losing the trailing hand. In a couple of those attempts you were going to revert, and the rest were flat out sideways. Your sideways board position is hurting your landing. If you can adjust that rotation by pulling the handle to your leading hip all the better. But I might be easier for the sake of sticking one to drop your trailing hand.

If the board rotates more then the rope angle will be assisting your body rotation to get you more vertical and more weight on your toes on the landing.
Old     (ahaz)      Join Date: Jul 2014       08-01-2014, 2:56 PM Reply   
Hey All,

Thanks for the input. I'll be back on the water next weekend and will give it a shot. I'll try pulling to the lead hip first and letting go with the back hand second. Seems like if I can hold on with both hands that's a better outcome. If I can get over the top of the board instead of behind it, I think I'll be able to ride away. Question...what is the timing to pull to the front hip - when you are upside down?

Thanks again.

Best,
Alex
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       08-03-2014, 11:16 AM Reply   
When you throw the trick bring the handle to your front hip. If you can't get it far enough then let go with your trailing hand.
Old     (hypedrider7)      Join Date: Jun 2004       08-04-2014, 7:56 PM Reply   
You have gotten some good tips already. Here are a few things to add:

Start with a few good wake jumps to practice a nice progressive edge. You do not need have a very hard cut. But maybe starting a few more feet out, let the board drift and roll onto its edge before building speed into the way. Focus on the handle being down and in while you stand tall through the wake.

The cut will be the same for a backroll, if you stand a bit taller that will help set a smoother rotation. You have a good roll going, so you don't to focus too much on "thowing" the roll.

I like to focus on keeping the elbows in during the roll. This is the same effect of pulling your handle in, but if you pull the handle, it can start throwing the roll too soon. Get a good handle position on the cut and keep your elbows in. You can keep it closer to your front hip. (dropping the back hand after the peak of the roll can help from coming around the revert). Once you land a few you will start getting a feel for using your handle placement and arms for controlling speed of the roll.

Two of the main keys that I think will help the most:
Keep your eyes focused on the landing. You should be spotting the water in front of you where you are going to land. This will help finish the roll and prepare for the landing.

When you land, work on edging away from the boat. I have had many riders get a full roll in but continue to slip out on the landing. They were trying to just "land". When they focused on edging on their heels through the landing, it helped get their balance and the edge keeps the board underneath them.

There are several different tips for backrolls, these are just some that have worked in the past.