Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       12-20-2015, 6:48 AM Reply   
Not just beat me, he bludgeoned me.
My 12 year old son smoked his old man by 8 strokes yesterday. Played it down and out. He has been playing tournament golf for 2 years now and has finally snatched the pebble from my hand. Ian anchored his middle school team as a sixth grader but still couldn't beat his hacker dad.I don't think I will ever beat him again. It was pretty damn fun to watch. He was killing his driver, murdering his 7 fairway and getting up and down from everywhere. Fearless golf in howling wind.
You go Boo! don't look back.
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       12-20-2015, 8:38 AM Reply   
funny how fast it happens. Like you think you're going to have a window where you are competitive and it goes back and forth but it's more like a hammer falling and you are now behind never to catch up again.
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       12-20-2015, 9:50 AM Reply   
Yep. Same thing happens behind the boat too and you still get to foot the bill even though you're version 1.0... Here's to becoming obsolete!
Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       12-20-2015, 10:19 AM Reply   
It is so true. My 14 yo throws hammers I wouldn't walk away from. Paying the ride is ok as long as they let me play too.
Kids that hunt, fish, golf and wakeboard don't rob little old ladies.
Old     (brett33)      Join Date: Apr 2011       12-20-2015, 12:41 PM Reply   
^^ nailed it.

Good job raising them right!
Old     (meathead65)      Join Date: Sep 2006       12-20-2015, 5:31 PM Reply   
I feel your pain.... My boy could take me one on one at 14, squared up a fastball better than I ever did at 15, out bowls me consistently since about 14 too.

I remind him often that it's only good breeding that got him to 6' 7" and 235.

Your post gave me a great idea.... I grew up living on a golf course and can still scratch my way around a track in the mid to high 90's...... I bet it would take him 3-4 years to pass me up if we start playing now, since he's never played at all.

Calling for a day after Christmas tee time in the morning, I shall reclaim my Dominance!!!!
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       12-20-2015, 5:35 PM Reply   
^^^lol!
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       12-20-2015, 6:16 PM Reply   
Best thread on non-wake in a bit, put a big smile on my face.
Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       12-21-2015, 5:30 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by markj View Post
^^^lol!
Good God Man! My two boys eat me out house and home as it is. You working two jobs just for groceries? 6-7 and 235?Ouch! I'm guessing you have a big chest freezer in the garage and your the guy I see at Costco, eyes glazed over pushing one flat cart while pulling another..poor S.O.B.
Old     (wakejunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       12-21-2015, 10:02 AM Reply   
Same thing happened to me on the Mountain bike.
I've had my son out on my local trails since he was 4.5 on a 10" wheeled bike, I'd push him up the hills and he'd bomb down them, occasionally catching a pedal and throwing the bike a few inches each way and still remaining upright, it was crazy how much balance he had at that age. I kept upgrading his bikes as he outgrew them and I was always ahead of him until "THE HAMMER" Recently, we got him, what will be, his last bike from mom and pop, at 14. I'm now chasing him and the feeling is bitter sweet. You want them to be good at a sport but, just better than you. And the bike skills all of a sudden jumped up a notch too.
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       12-29-2015, 6:56 AM Reply   
I love reading this. I have a 16 week old now and I can't wait to take him to the golf course. I played all through high school and freshmen year in collage until I broke my neck and back on a dirt bike. I took a few years off but still love to play today.

That was the best quality time I ever spent with my dad. I wish he was still around today to play those afternoon rounds when nobody else is on the course.

P.S. My little man already made it out on the boat at 1 week old for his new born pics.
Old     (sandm01)      Join Date: May 2010       01-08-2016, 7:44 AM Reply   
my old man is now in his early 70's. he has not beat me on the golf course in a very long time- granted I didn't pick up sticks from 14 to 27. it was a good feeling to beat him that first time at 29, but it makes me sad to watch a guy that could belt a 240yard drive pretty straight to now not wanting to play courses with carries off the tee and long approach shots over water.
he still loves the game and plays 3-4days/wk in retirement, but I know deep down it has been hard for him to watch his game diminish with age and lose a few strokes every few years to me.

hope you guys enjoy some of the same great memories I have enjoyed with my father over the years chasing the little white ball and enjoying a 4hr walk.