Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       08-24-2015, 11:19 AM Reply   
Little help fellas. My Mom has decided she wants a wireless speaker to use in her kitchen studio etc. Mom is 73 and lives in Denver. Genres would be country and the standards.
My BIL who lives in Denver just reportedly purchased the "mega boom UE" whatever gizmo thing and she wants one.
Question for the group: Is there a better option? Is this thing any good? POS? Thumbs up or down.
Suggestions are welcome.
Old     (T_A)      Join Date: Feb 2013       08-24-2015, 11:53 AM Reply   
I have the UE Boom and like it a lot, never heard the "mega boom"
Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       08-24-2015, 5:47 PM Reply   
Thank you.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-24-2015, 6:12 PM Reply   
I have a Bose Mini and a UE Boom. Both are good but the edge goes to Bose, they both are pretty loud especially in a kitchen or den type environment but the Bose is a little fuller sounding. That said the new Mega Boom will be louder and I'm sure fuller sounding. It would be compared to this model of the Bose: https://www.bose.com/products/speake...html?mc=K22350
Old     (newty)      Join Date: May 2005       08-24-2015, 7:50 PM Reply   
I have a Jawbone jambox. It is seriously impressive. I've been buying them as gifts for family members, because they all love mine so much. There are two sizes, though I haven't heard the smaller one, the bigger one is awesome.
Old     (phillywakeboarder)      Join Date: Sep 2008       08-24-2015, 7:59 PM Reply   
I've been rocking the UE Boom since Christmas. I really like it, but its battery doesn't last near as long as advertised. Its supposed to play for 15 hours, but I'm lucky to get 3 at 80 percent volume. Other than that, I don't have any complaints. The bass isn't the greatest (as I expected), but it does improve if you place it next to a wall, and its pretty loud while remaining pretty clear. I talked to a lifeguard who had the Mega Boom on his chair (I would've chosen the Mega Boom myself, but it hadn't been released yet), and he said he gets about 10 hours at a decent volume, so if battery life is an issue that may be something to consider. The Boom retails for about 200 bucks and the Mega Boom for about 300.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-25-2015, 6:10 PM Reply   
If your mom is on the go or even if she's not JBL's are a nice option. I take this with us when we go to the local barbecue joint and I have to drown out the country music.

http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=800935

JBL also has a version without the lights and bling called the charge and not only will it play by itself but it will charge your iPhone or USB device I gave one of these to my dad for his birthday and he loves it. Brings it with him when he travels
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       09-01-2015, 10:21 AM Reply   
JBL makes a "clip" version as well. doesn't sound like it would fit here as its smaller and designed to hang from stuff. golf bag, etc. but I was impressed with the sound it made for such a small unit.

Had a Jawbone Jambox and it was very cool. Until it died, 2 weeks out of warranty. they were helpful trying different things to make it work, but in the end, it wasn't happening and they said "sorry". I didn't mistreat it too bad, it was advertised as being "somewhat waterproof" or something along those lines. I don't think water killed it, but not sure what did. Great sound and I liked the call answering function