Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Snowboarding

Old     (dudeman)      Join Date: Mar 2005       11-08-2010, 5:42 AM Reply   
Looking for some new gloves and there are a ton out there. Need something warm and waterproof or as close as you can get. Any brand will do. Mostly freeriding. Anyone found a pair that kick butt?. Thanks.
Old     (wazzy)      Join Date: Nov 2001       11-09-2010, 9:59 AM Reply   
Check out Dakine & Celtek...
Old     (alans)      Join Date: Aug 2005       11-09-2010, 10:05 AM Reply   
I am a big fan of the Burton gore-tex mittens. Always warm and dry. I prefer them without liners and don't like the ones that have leather anywhere on them.

http://www.burton.com/mens-snowboard...efault,sc.html
Old     (dudeman)      Join Date: Mar 2005       11-09-2010, 10:10 AM Reply   
Was looking at Dakine and have an older pair. Never had tried Burtons and have never worn mittens. Not a big fan of liners myslef. Always seem to be a PITA.
Old     (ponder86)      Join Date: Mar 2008       11-09-2010, 10:32 AM Reply   
Check out Grenade. I have a pair that are amazing. Super light but keep my hands warm and dry.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       11-09-2010, 11:19 AM Reply   
I think you'll run into extreme personal preferences with this one. I like DaKine, Celtek, and Grenade (only have friends wearing Grenade, but people love their gloves).

Personally I will not wear anything other than Burton Gore Tex's. I love the liners that come with them, and the fact they have the wrist loop attachment so they can dangle and you don't worry about dropping them. Hop on the lift, pull the gloves (shells) off, and my hands are still mostly warm in the liners, and I can mess with whatever I need to. Gore Tex holds up decent, and stays dry. Can't say the same for other Burton gloves, the Profile or whatever is a cheap version and stinks.

If it's warmer out then I wear pipe gloves, which the palms are waterproof but that's about it. No wrist lanyard, so I fear to take them off most of the time.

Story time. I have a major issue with dropping a glove off the lift. Did it one time in Utah as a kid, and will never let it happen again. Ruined my day and lost my favorite glove. 15 yrs later GF gets some gloves, and I comment how they don't have a wrist lanyard. She says it's unneeded, she won't lose them, she loves these gloves. I think it may have been the second lift ride up after that, she takes them off, puts under her thigh, and what do you know, down falls a glove. I was able to race down and retrieve it, but now she believes it too, and I just don't get why ALL cold weather gloves don't have them on. Function has to beat fashion on this one, and if people don't get it, well I don't get how they don't.
Old     (flattirenotube)      Join Date: May 2007       11-10-2010, 8:23 AM Reply   
I agree with A-dub on how this is a pretty personal choice. I'm opposite of Alan, in that once I went to leather gloves there was no going back for me. I wear Hestra's. They are very pricey but they are super comfy and warm, and with the leather they last forever. They may be marketed more towards skiers but its a glove and unless you are buying their racing gloves it doesn't make a lick of difference. I used to wear mittens all of the time but I was sick of my hands sweating and the lack of dexterity. So go try some on, read some reviews online and try and make the best educated decision you can. But I will definitely recommend Hestra.
Old     (alans)      Join Date: Aug 2005       11-10-2010, 8:31 AM Reply   
My only aversion to leather is that they get wet and stay wet all season. Inside is dry, but the exterior stays wet. I have a condo and keep my gear there all winter, my wife's leather Burton Goretex gloves stink up the place. haha
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       11-10-2010, 9:03 AM Reply   
I'm a mitten guy.... they may look dorky, but since I switched to mittens my hands NEVER get cold. OR gortex shells with fleece liners will last forever (and if they don't, send 'em back and they'll give you a new pair).
Old     (dudeman)      Join Date: Mar 2005       11-10-2010, 9:29 AM Reply   
Thanks for all the input. I have been on a lot of sites checking out the reviews. Guess it's just time to pick one based on the that and the input here. Local shop doesn't have a whole lot to look at.
Old     (ponder86)      Join Date: Mar 2008       11-10-2010, 10:38 AM Reply   
http://www.the-house.com/gr6crg01bk9...rd-gloves.html

I have an earlier version of these if you want some mittens with dexterity still.
Old     (dudeman)      Join Date: Mar 2005       11-10-2010, 10:47 AM Reply   
I was considering these. Anyone ever use Pow gloves?
Old     (flattirenotube)      Join Date: May 2007       11-11-2010, 7:00 AM Reply   
These are the exact gloves I wear except in white.

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/,...and-Women.html

Alan I hear you about them staying wet. I have a boot dryer that I put my gloves on as well and that keeps the dampness down as well as the stink. I just enjoy the durability and dexterity.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       11-19-2010, 12:35 PM Reply   
I have three pairs of gloves for different conditions. All Burton. No particuar reason, but they seemed to fit the best when I got them. I use my park gloves for everything, even working around the house. They're the first ones I grab, but they do get wet and stay wet. Wear them on a cold day and you'll be miserable. My favorite pair of gloves are a intermediate gore-tex burton. They have a small cuff so my jacket sleeves easily drop over them. It nice for reaching into my jacket and pulling out my pass. You can generally work your hands with these instead of being totally dumb trying to work zippers, etc. I've found that they're basically good in almost all conditions. The last pair I have are the big puffy gore-tex'ers with liners. I don't really wear the liners, as I don't need them much, but they're nice for bike rides on chilly days. These gloves are good in any super cold conditions. I hate having to dig them back up into my jackets sleeves, though, and I have to take them off everytime I have to get something out of my jacket (i-pod, pass, etc).

For me, the biggest thing is a glove that doesn't let snow in, and my jacket easily slides over. I guess that's just personal preference.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       11-22-2010, 10:28 AM Reply   
I lied.... My intermediate gloves are DaKine. Killer gloves. Lived in them while shoveling this weekend. LOL!
Old    sperbet            11-23-2010, 4:00 PM Reply   
I'm a big DaKine fan. Good quality and price and they took real good care of me and a friend of mine with warranty issues. The gloves in question were outside of the warranty period and they still hooked it up.
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       11-23-2010, 4:10 PM Reply   
as long as they have gore tex, and feel good on your hands, your good to go! gotta try them on. for me, DC gloves feel HORRIBLE, but i love my dakine mittens with goretex and dakine park glove with gore tex. sad to say i own something burton, but my old burton gloves have held up well. dakine is the way to go tho.
Old     (dudeman)      Join Date: Mar 2005       11-24-2010, 8:53 AM Reply   
Thanks for all the great input. Will end up with an early Christmas gift, so I passed this on to the one buying the gift with my input. Some snow would be nice now.