Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Girls Who Ride

Old     (sexyws6mama)      Join Date: Mar 2008       06-15-2010, 5:26 PM Reply   
I want to really progress this summer. Had a camp set up, but got flooded out and not sure if I'll be able to do that later. So, what's the best thing to do to progress? I want to learn more and add style to my riding. Any suggestions where to read, what DVD's to watch, etc.

Right now, I'm trying HS 3 and backrolls. My intention are to work on TS3 and tantrums. Anything else I can work on..................

Thanks ladies!
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       06-15-2010, 8:44 PM Reply   
learnwake.com is a website you can subscribe to for 10.00 a month it's run by pros to help you they can analyze your videos and suggest drills to help you. the website is run by kyle schmitt and mike mcclin. they also did the book dvd series which is very helpful. they coach AMBER WING HALEY SMITH AND OTHERS.
Old     (lizrd)      Join Date: Jul 2002       06-17-2010, 12:20 PM Reply   
Hi Audry,

I agree with Robert above that learnwake and "the book" are the two best things you can watch. Kyle Schmidt is the man. I always like watching Wake Chicks crash section too as it gives me the guts to take crashes like those girls. How are your switch skills? That can be fun to try to land everything you can do regular, switch. Take your W2W 180s bigger with longer grabs, try a backside ollie 180 if you don't already have it. Ride your board finless. Try a bunch of surface stuff to get your handle control where it needs to be for 3s. Do "around the world" with grabs - first front hand then back hand then swithc. Ride in chop so that your board control improves. Post some vid! Are you close on the HS3 or backroll?

Last edited by lizrd; 06-17-2010 at 12:22 PM.
Old     (sexyws6mama)      Join Date: Mar 2008       06-18-2010, 6:56 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizrd View Post
Hi Audry,

I agree with Robert above that learnwake and "the book" are the two best things you can watch. Kyle Schmidt is the man. I always like watching Wake Chicks crash section too as it gives me the guts to take crashes like those girls. How are your switch skills? That can be fun to try to land everything you can do regular, switch. Take your W2W 180s bigger with longer grabs, try a backside ollie 180 if you don't already have it. Ride your board finless. Try a bunch of surface stuff to get your handle control where it needs to be for 3s. Do "around the world" with grabs - first front hand then back hand then swithc. Ride in chop so that your board control improves. Post some vid! Are you close on the HS3 or backroll?
Yes, as soon as I get some vid from this year, I'm thinking about going to learnwake site.

Yes, the 3 I'm so close, I land in a good position but without the rope. I need to concentrate on keeping the rope low to butt and hanging on. THe backroll well I just tried it, so I don't think I'm close but I'm trying it again today.

I do ride switch alot and have worked on TS/BS ollie 180 and also ride in chop because that's all we have lately with the wind. But I would like to add grabs to all my 180s (regular and half cab). I haven't written with fins in forever. I think I will try to learn board and lip slides too.

Thanks!
Old     (sexyws6mama)      Join Date: Mar 2008       06-19-2010, 5:57 AM Reply   
here is the backroll attempt

Old     (wakekat15)      Join Date: Jul 2005       06-19-2010, 5:58 AM Reply   
Audrey - don't make me come over there and use my pink cast! Get out there and shred your face off just 'cause you can!!! ;-D You could ride with Billy G again too!
Attached Images

Old     (sexyws6mama)      Join Date: Mar 2008       06-19-2010, 6:08 AM Reply   
I got it Kat! Headed out today! I'm headed back to Pat' McElhinney Camp in 2 weeks and hopefully I can ride at FreeRide again this year!
Old     (lizrd)      Join Date: Jul 2002       06-20-2010, 5:43 PM Reply   
Hi Audrey,
Good video and you went for it. Keep having fun - maybe camp will help you breakthrough on it? Keep us posted!
Old     (aliwake)      Join Date: Dec 2006       06-20-2010, 6:16 PM Reply   
Hey Audrey, that backroll attempt looked great!! you just didn't have enought time to get all the way around. I would cut out a bit further and cut in a bit harder - then show us what happens!! make sure you keep your eyes open (not as stupid as it sounds) and keep both hands on the handle all the way round, and your elbows locked in tight to your sides. I know quite a few people who can throw great backrolls, but not land them, and those things i mentioned are some of the bad habits that are stopping them... get it right from the start and you'll be fine!
Old     (sexyws6mama)      Join Date: Mar 2008       06-21-2010, 6:16 AM Reply   
I have tried a few more backrolls, but I need to work on several things.

Continue to edge throughout the wake. Pop first (I'm throwing the trick too early), then look over shoulder. Biggest mistake I'm making, is letting go of the handle. I need to keep both hands on handle and to my waist. I just need to hammer them.

Alice: I do keep my eyes open LOL I do that right

Yesterday when I went out I tried to just work on basics, TSw2w and HSw2w jumps, all 180's, grabs and ollie 180s and that seemed better. I felt my riding was more in control. My HS3 attempts seemed all wrong; so I stopped. Then I tried the backrolls LOL

I've been wakeboarding and wakesurfing for 3 days straight and trying those inverts got my body all messed up LOL But I'll survive.....hell if I had the chance to go everyday to the lake, I would!!!!!!!!!!!! I want to be like Parks Bonifay! LOL

I think today I'll try my HS/TS 3's with a rope on the ground to get that rotation and handle pass feeling.

Last edited by sexyws6mama; 06-21-2010 at 6:20 AM.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       06-21-2010, 7:43 AM Reply   
audrey a drill i learned at the wakeboard camp that really helps for a warmup and for the feel you want when you hit the wake. its called loading the line from your video i think you were left foot forward,so you would cut out to the left side on your heel edge once you get just about all the way out you load the line by standing tall push hipps forward ,tighten quads, and push chest up . so you won't be looking down . you should be able to rock the boat. when you really load the line it will pull you off your heel edge and towards the boat.once you have that feeling then its timing you would load the line pop and look in the direction you want to rotate your body will follow your head. once you can rotate that 3/4 of the way. try it off 1 wake from about 5 foot away. that teaches you how to time your pop. both of these exercises should be done at a slower boat speed that way you don't feel the crash as much. then try it wake to wake on a 65 foot rope so you won't have any trouble clearing the wakes.remember the pop is 90% of the trick. good luck . if you are wondering why i always try to help the women ride better with my 2 cents. because at the wakeboard camp they also like to train the women cause they LISTEN! men don't because we already know everything . LOL
Old     (cheesydog)      Join Date: Mar 2009       06-21-2010, 8:21 PM Reply   
agree with Robert, slowing the speed down and going off 1 wake can help immensely. Especially your 3's you may be surprised how easy you get it, then once your muscle memory is dialed its way easier to take it wake to wake. Crashes are also much less painful.