Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (mike2001)      Join Date: Feb 2008       08-27-2013, 6:56 PM Reply   
I'm looking for a good universal boat board and I'll be the heaviest ridert at 6'1" 210lbs. I dont have the biggest wake, but I think it's decent (98 Tige 22i with 500# in the rear and another 500# on left side of engine).

Since I haven't really committed to surfing, I've only tried a few Hyperlite boards so far, the Coex and Broadcast. The Coex was too small and Broadcast felt like a tank. Luckily I've been able to unload them on ebay for more than I paid.

It looks like Inland Surfer has a good price point board in the Tako, would this be a good option? If not, I appreciate any other suggestions.
Old     (drnate)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-28-2013, 7:20 AM Reply   
If you use inland surfer's board finder, you will see that the Tako is not really a great option for you. They recommend at your weight range with a small or medium wake, a Red Rocket, Swallow, or Blue Lake.

http://www.inlandsurfer.com/

As far as boards that are a little less expensive, I would recommend Triple X boards. www.triplexsurfandskim.com

You will find most other surf specific brands to be rather pricey, but in the end, you get what you pay for. For the most part, wakeboard brand Surfboards are not very good.

Last edited by drnate; 08-28-2013 at 7:23 AM. Reason: typo
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       08-28-2013, 12:12 PM Reply   
I'm also a bigger guy, at 6'0 235. I am riding a Liquid Force Fish 5'6". It is plenty big enough for me and after some tweaking with the setup of the boat, we have it down where I am able to freeride pretty well. Last night I surfed through an entire song and part of another.
The fish is a great surf style board, it is big, it is stable, but still maneuverable.
We are surfing behind a 92 Supra direct drive. It took a little playing around with the configuration to get it to work right.

We originally were running with a 250 under the rear seat, 350 in front of the behind doghouse, and a 750 on the port floor on the side of the doghouse. We also had 150 in the bow running at 10.5mph. With this I was barely able to freeride, I could occasionally, but would fall out of the pocket quickly. I just didn't have the push, bigger guys like us, especially when learning, need more push than guys that are 1/3 to 1/2 our size. My buddy could ride behind it pretty well, but not spectacular, and he's about 5'10 165ish. If it was just a 3 person crew, it was hard, but when we got some more people in the boat it was a little nicer.

We then reconfigured the setup. Currently we are running 250 under the rear seat, 350 on the side of the port floor ont he side of the doghouse, and the 750 half on the seat half on top of the 350. We took out the bow weight, and until it sprung a leak ran that on the rear middle seat. We also upped the speed to 11.7mph.

With the new configuration he can surf forever and I can surf for a pretty decent run as well. The only problem we really encounter is the area we surf in can get REALLY shallow (sub 10 feet) in some points. We have a good lay of where the best spots are that keep us safe and with a decent wake, Anything less than 9-10 feet and you lose the wake. Anything over 12-13 feet is gravy.

Anyway, even with the most buoyant board in the world, if the boat isn't setup well, you will have issues being a bigger guy. It may work for others, but to push the extra weight, you need more push.
I also find for me, I have my back foot at the front of the rear traction pad, almost between the two pads and I am almost and sometimes am hanging 5 off the front to get myself the good balance to drive forward and not drop out.

That being said the Liquid Force Fish is an awesome board, being a bigger guy, I absolutely love it. Not too spendy as well IIRC.
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       08-28-2013, 12:13 PM Reply   
BTW: Also have surfed a broadcast, 4'9, definitely too small for me with the push the boat has and my skill level at this point.
Old     (Chaos)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-28-2013, 3:51 PM Reply   
Mike look at a Shred Stixx Ringer. Really easy board to ride and it is designed to accommodate riders from 150-220.

Nick
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       09-09-2013, 4:04 PM Reply   
Just an update. Recently I had the pleasure of riding a Ronix Caption 4'8". I can ride that board as well, if not better than the Fish 5'6". It is definitely more slippery, but I'm able to balance my weight out on it better than the fish and I feel like I have more control. It also has a more rounded nose which I feel makes it more forgiving to pearling. Just putting out my experience and 2 cents for your info as well. Also one of our friends was out with us who is about the same size as me, and he was tearing it up on the Caption as well. I guess skill/experience can offset size/weight in some situations.
Old     (rjklein4470)      Join Date: Aug 2013       09-10-2013, 6:10 AM Reply   
I am 6-7 about 250 and I just ordered a board for me, and my wife from Soulcraft. Don't have the board but great guy and service has been outstanding!!!!
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       09-15-2013, 9:42 AM Reply   
Also another update. Rode a 4'0 board on Friday. Felt even better than the larger boards, then again it was on a different boat with more push. I think with a boat with enough push, just about anyone can ride just about anything as long as you have your balance worked out.
Old     (JArthurSquid)      Join Date: Jul 2013       09-17-2013, 1:56 PM Reply   
I'm a somewhat bigger guy (195lbs) and I would say part of it has to do with skill -- the ability to edge into the wave just enough to feel some lift and direct the board slightly downward.

I can see where an even shorter board can sometimes feel better. I have found weight support is all about how much distance there is from the back of the board to your front foot. So, having 3 feet of board sticking out in front of your front foot doesn't seem to help much -- the front foot has to be slightly ahead of the lift of the wake, or you can't direct the board down/forward.

Yet, if you "choke up" on a longer board and are move up towards the front, it's hard to carve and turn it.

For even bigger guys, I've found if the wake isn't lifting/pushing enough, you can always slow down, which makes the wake much taller and stronger, but with very short pocket. Not great for having room to do tricks, but at least they can freeride in one spot.
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       09-17-2013, 2:19 PM Reply   
Not to mention that when you choke up so far, the slightest roller or a little bit of the nose going under makes you bury it almost instantly from all the nose weight and you're down.
Old     (JArthurSquid)      Join Date: Jul 2013       09-17-2013, 5:03 PM Reply   
Yes, that's true also. I was trying out a 4'6" board and my front foot was pretty close to the nose. The board would pearl a few inches under water at the bottom of every pump.
Old     (cedarcreek216V)      Join Date: Aug 2011       09-18-2013, 4:39 AM Reply   
I'm 6'-3" and 210 pounds and I ride an IS Sweet Spot Pro and love it. Depending on fun set up it can be just about as fast as you want it. My wife who is 115 pounds also rides it.
Old     (JArthurSquid)      Join Date: Jul 2013       09-18-2013, 6:38 AM Reply   
The thing is, big dudes, especially, need to try out a surf board before buying it. This is way more important for surfing than wakeboarding. Otherwise, you are likely to order the board that everyone raves about, pay $700 for it, only to discover it doesn't work well for your size, boat setup and riding style.

Yet none of the local board shops that let you demo seem to carry boards from companies that are surf specific. It's all Liquid Force, Hyperlite and Ronix. I do think those brands are making some good boards now, but you really have to try out a bunch to find them.
Old     (rugbyballa3)      Join Date: Feb 2013       09-18-2013, 7:17 AM Reply   
check out a day1wake xani. they are great people. day1wake.com great boards and great turn around. spend the money and get a good hand shaped board.
Old     (HighWater)      Join Date: Apr 2012       09-18-2013, 7:57 AM Reply   
6'3 205, Phase 5 Danielo Diamond 58". 12' Moomba Outback V with 2000lbs ballast and Supra Launch with 3k ballast (buddys boat), both 21'ers.