Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (mofreestyle)      Join Date: Jan 2006       04-02-2018, 11:40 AM Reply   
So I'm heading from Kansas City, Missouri to Austin, Texas this Thursday and staying until next Monday. I have some time on the way down and through out the weekend to hit some of the cables along the way and around Austin. I need some input on which cables you guys recommend and any other information that might be important.

The parks that I'm looking at are:
Hydrous Lake Lewisville
Cowtown Wake Park
WakeSport Ranch
BSR
Vision Quest ATX
Next Level Ride
Texas Ski Ranch

I will probably only be able to hit 3-5 of these depending on what the wife says.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       04-02-2018, 6:14 PM Reply   
I'm in Fl but went to BSR in 2015 and really liked it. Last time to TSR was 2004 and I would love to go back.
Old     (gnarslayer)      Join Date: Sep 2008       04-03-2018, 7:31 AM Reply   
I will lay it all out for you

Next Level is the best one at the moment with the best vibes and has the least amount of rules. It's sick

BSR is also up there, has the easiest obstacles, restaurant, slides lazy river and all that

Quest is cool just don't fall in the back cause the walk is far, also don't go if it's windy.

TSR has improved quite a bit, very strict about coast guard approved vests

Hydrous is cool and has a good restaurant, strict with coast guard vests

Wakesport - closed
Cowtown - closed

Next level, bsr and quest is probably where you should spend most of your time. I should be back in Austin before you leave if you wanna go for a rip
Old     (theloungelife)      Join Date: Jun 2012 Location: Salt Lake City, UT       04-03-2018, 10:08 AM Reply   
I made a similar trip last spring. I echo was JB said. Next Level is the best by far. Awesome vibe and a good variance in obstacles. As an intermediate level rider, I thought I might have trouble there, but I found lines that suited my riding level. BSR was my 2nd favorite. When we were there (weekday afternoon in may 17'), the place was empty. Pretty much had it to ourselves. I liked how they had a nice path around the whole thing for easy walking back. We also hit Quest Atx. Quest's cable seemed longer than the others. The features were nice, but as JB mentioned, it is a huge walk back, if you fall on the other side. Plus there is no center island, making the water conditions worse.

All in all, if I go again, I'll probably do more days at Next Level and maybe skip the others.

Last edited by theloungelife; 04-03-2018 at 10:09 AM. Reason: misspell
Old     (hal2814)      Join Date: Feb 2006       04-03-2018, 2:24 PM Reply   
I was sad to lose Cowtown. The equipment is still sitting there. I keep hoping someone will reopen it.
Old     (Dj2up10)      Join Date: Aug 2010       04-03-2018, 7:35 PM Reply   
Tough to top a rider like JB giving the run down above. He's about as talented as it gets and is a great guy. Take him up on that offer to meet and ride!

A few seasons ago my wife and I flew into Houston and out of Dallas for the Texas tour. We loved our trip and did the following:

Houston: Hangar 9 (love the staff there and is a fun lap, but wish we would've also visited Wake Nation). Drove over to Austin for a couple days and hit up TSR in New Braufels, Quest and NLR in Austin. From there we went north to stay at a cabin at BSR, hit up Magnolia for my better half, and finished up in dallas at Hydrous Little Elm.

Last edited by Dj2up10; 04-03-2018 at 7:41 PM. Reason: word spelling
Old     (Mikhale)      Join Date: Dec 2011       04-04-2018, 8:03 AM Reply   
Hydrous parks are really fun but they are small so you are doing a lot of turning, some people like it some people don't. Next level is a must visit, BSR is huge with a nice relaxed vibe.TSR is very fun you can hit obstacles the whole way around the park which is very unique.

Once the weather warms up don't forget your local park KC Watersports, the park is going to be very sick this year. I also live in KC hit me up if you ever want to ride!
Old     (mofreestyle)      Join Date: Jan 2006       04-04-2018, 9:50 PM Reply   
Thanks to everyone who chimed in. I'm excited for this trip. We're going to hit up BSR on the way in and probably spend a lot of time at NLR.

JB, that would be awesome to get together and ride.