Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-21-2015, 7:35 AM Reply   
Going to order up insurance for the new boat today, we currently have State Farm for the cars and house. Adding the boat to that would be $350/yr.

I got a quote from Ski Safe and their enhanced package that includes:

Quote:
Includes everything in Skipper’s Basic plus higher liability limits, towing, personal property, a disappearing deductible, freezing, enhanced terms and much more…
Is $285/yr. The basic coverage was at $145/yr.

Just curious of any other boat specific insurance companies that might be worth looking into.... or experience with Ski Safe.

Thanks!
Old     (corerider)      Join Date: May 2008       04-21-2015, 7:45 AM Reply   
http://www.boatus.com/INSURANCE/

I've never had a claim with them, but they have always been competitively priced IMO. I would rather pay more and have a company that knows boats then pay less with State Farm, Allstate, etc. and them not know the difference between a dingy or motor yacht.
Old     (jbkriss)      Join Date: Mar 2011       04-21-2015, 7:53 AM Reply   
I've done really well with Ski Safe and recommend them.
Old     (FastR3DN3K)      Join Date: Jun 2013 Location: Midlothian TX       04-21-2015, 8:36 AM Reply   
I had BoatUS on my I/O boat, but they were insanely high when I got my wakeboat. I switched to Boaters Choice and they seem to offer really good coverage for decent price. I pay around $500 a year on my 2013 RZ4 for full coverage with the lowest deductible. Not cheap when compared to some other companies, but they are specifically for boats, so they know boat values better than regular insurance companies and won't hassle you as much if you do file a claim with them. So far I've been pretty happy with them.

And on a side note, I never had an issue with State Farm until I filed a claim on my motorcycle that I totaled (not at fault, hit and run). They gave me the biggest run around and tried like hell not to pay me for my claim despite never having filed a claim with them before, no tickets, and always paid on time. When they did finally give me an amount for my totaled bike, it was about 50% of the value of the bike, not including any of the extras I had on it that they didn't want to pay for(which I paid extra each month for accessory coverage too). It turned into a long drawn out headache before we finally settled on an amount, and I had to threaten to get a lawyer involved to even get that. I promptly dropped my all my vehicles with them after that and switched to Liberty Mutual, and refuse to ever even consider going back to State Farm. They're a nightmare to deal with and I hope you never have to file a claim with them and find out.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-21-2015, 8:41 AM Reply   
Quote:
They're a nightmare to deal with and I hope you never have to file a claim with them and find out.
I had the opposite with State-Farm.

My wife hit a deer with her car, and they were awesome. She did like $15k in damage to it, no questions asked, paid directly to the shop (of our choosing - the local Lexus dealer), and rates didn't change because of the hit.

So far the lower quote, by far, was Ski Safe, even for their premium coverage.
Old     (Jmorlan)      Join Date: May 2013       04-21-2015, 11:58 AM Reply   
I have ski safe. Cheap, but they are kind of a pain in the ass. I pay $369 a year. Full coverage. $500 deductible. $250 deductible on trailer
Old     (cain0725)      Join Date: May 2012       04-21-2015, 7:53 PM Reply   
ski safe,, no issues, cheap and no claims though
Old     (Knotayooper)      Join Date: Jul 2014       04-21-2015, 8:56 PM Reply   
Global Marine Insurance. Great rates.
Old     (TC_Mastercraf_X5)      Join Date: Feb 2013       04-22-2015, 7:57 AM Reply   
I had to run a claim through Boat US and it was like a 3 month process with me calling them daily to get updates. Not sure what the industry standard is but that was my experience with them. I know boat US and Gieco actually have a admin company process all their boat claims. That company is Seaworthy Insurance: A Berkshire Hathaway Company.
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       04-22-2015, 8:23 AM Reply   
I have a friend that is a broker for www.boatinsurance.net

His name is Jeremy. He'll shop a handful of companies for you and get you the best rate.
Old     (fouroheight68)      Join Date: May 2006       04-22-2015, 8:45 AM Reply   
I'm using Ski-Safe - 250 a year for a 2002 centurion. 300k liability, 1k deductible.
Old     (cadunkle)      Join Date: Jul 2009 Location: NJ       04-23-2015, 8:30 PM Reply   
Mine is insured with Markel, they are a specialty insurance company. Insure boats, motorcycles, RVs, along with various other less common or specialty items. $364/yr for $10,500 agreed value and $2000 trailer value.

I had no luck with BoatUS, SkiSafe and some of the more common companies. They didn't seem like they wanted to write a policy, wouldn't write an agreed value policy, or would sell me a policy that basically covered nothing. Big concerns for me were no coverage in any sort of storm with high winds even with the boat on the trailer either stored outside away from trees or inside a structure, and no coverage when more than 100 miles from where it is primarily used. Markel pulled the same type of crap but when I said that would be unacceptable they wrote exemptions to cover in any storm/winds/named storm and anywhere. Haven't had to make a claim so can't comment on that, but even if they cost a little more than others they are the only company that would put in writing a policy that actually covered anything I could foresee making a claim for.