Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through May 06, 2009

Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-08-2009, 11:11 PM Reply   
Anyone who rides in cold water wearing a hood. I have a scuba diving class and the teacher owns a scuba shop, I can get a deal on a hood to go in my drysuit.... Do the hoods help out alot?

Thanks.
Old     (waketac)      Join Date: Apr 2002       04-08-2009, 11:16 PM Reply   
I just wear a beanie with my drysuit when it's really cold. Always take two or three with me on the boat to change if one gets soaked.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       04-09-2009, 9:42 AM Reply   
It would pry help with the ice cream headache. They're not very comfy tho...
Old     (woreout)      Join Date: Aug 2006       04-10-2009, 9:40 AM Reply   
when we wear hoods down here its usually for another reason.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       04-10-2009, 10:23 AM Reply   
Beanies for me. I just have a bunch in the boat so that I can swap them out when I crash. I hate that ice cream headache.
Old     (texastbird)      Join Date: May 2003       04-10-2009, 1:05 PM Reply   
^^ +3 against the ice cream headache, but I never wear a hood or beanie. The water in DFW isn't that cold for that long, so I just deal with it for a couple of weeks until the water inevitably warms up again.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-11-2009, 7:20 AM Reply   
thats the difference between yanks and you billy.
skin on skin or we don't go in.

Haha, I passed on the hood, I'll just wait a few more weeks before getting in.

Thanks everyone, except billy, again.
(writting that a lot lately)
Old     (lfadam)      Join Date: Nov 2008       04-11-2009, 8:30 PM Reply   
I never wear one, just dont get your head wet unnecessarily. IE, when getting in the water, dont dunk your head under...dont do huge sprays in the flats, etc. Inevitably your head will get somewhat wet on crashes, but idk I never get "Ice cream headache"
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-11-2009, 11:04 PM Reply   
I passed on it... I'll just wait 2 more weeks and it'll be fine. I messed up my shoulder playing soccer so some time off, before I get on the water will be good.
Old     (airfreak)      Join Date: Jul 2001       04-12-2009, 12:41 PM Reply   
We wear scuba hoods all winter. Not the ones attached to a drysuit. Just the usual 3mm or 5mm dive hood. Makes a big difference when there's ice in the water Scuba glove also. Take some time to build up your grip, but you get used to it.
Old     (proho)      Join Date: Aug 2005       04-14-2009, 3:32 PM Reply   
hoods are the shiznit. It's a little weird, can't really here well and the sound of water splashing against the hood is kinda weird, but you'll come out with dry hair. I don't personally own a hood, I just used the one that came with my buddy's oneill mutant wetsuit.

You lose so much of your heat through your head.

(Message edited by proho on April 14, 2009)