Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (robertsjut)      Join Date: Jul 2009       07-27-2014, 11:46 PM Reply   
Just starting to wakesurf. I have a 2007 Supreme v208. I'm 6ft - 200lbs and found where I can pick this board up new in either 4'6 or 5'6 for $280.

Is that a deal? What size should I go with?
Old     (Jmorlan)      Join Date: May 2013       07-28-2014, 9:37 AM Reply   
I picked up that board on a store closing sale locally for $250 2 months ago.
I am also about 6ft 200 and I go rope less all day long behind my v215 sanger.
I have the 4'6
Pick it up, it's a good deal!
Old     (jps120)      Join Date: Oct 2012       07-28-2014, 7:00 PM Reply   
i picked up a brand new 4'6" that had been traded in and had never been used for 200. I just started surfing this year but I can go ropeless easily on it. the only thing is it is very easy to bury the nose on the board.
Old     (robertsjut)      Join Date: Jul 2009       07-28-2014, 9:56 PM Reply   
Thanks guys. Order it today in 4'6" should be here Wednesday!
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       07-28-2014, 11:59 PM Reply   
The Koal line is good. They are fun boards, fairly quick down the line and have lots of fin options so you can adjust it to your riding style as you progress.
Be careful with them as they are pretty fragile and are prone to getting dinged, crushed, chipped, etc. Treat them with caution and maybe look at putting some padding on the inside of your board racks (assuming you have a rack big enough for it) to prevent it from getting beat up in there.
You may very well need to do some fiberglass repair on it in the future. My friend Trayson bought a Koal Illuminati 5'0 at the beginning of this season and has had to do quite a bit of repair on it from how fragile it is.
That being said, it is a fun board to ride. I have ridden the Koal Illuminati 5'0 and a Carbon Thruster which is the carbon fiber version of the Koal Thruster. Both are fun to ride and good for beginner/intermediate riders, the carbon being a little more on the intermediate side though.

I'm about 6'0 and was around 240ish last time I rode a Koal, behind a DD Supra, able to freeride all day long. You should have no problems at all.
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       08-19-2014, 3:41 PM Reply   
So, how did you like the Koal?
Old     (Jmorlan)      Join Date: May 2013       08-19-2014, 3:46 PM Reply   
I like it, very fragile though. I noticed it left a puddle on my floor, from a small crack in the tail, and I don't even know how it got there.
It's never been dropped, never dinged on the boat.
Enjoy the board, but it's fragile state is a downfall.
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       08-19-2014, 3:47 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmorlan View Post
I like it, very fragile though. I noticed it left a puddle on my floor, from a small crack in the tail, and I don't even know how it got there.
Smack it's nose with a newspaper and stick it in its kennel until it learns not to leave any more puddles... That's just unacceptable behavior for a supposedly housetrained board.
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       08-20-2014, 2:44 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmorlan View Post
I just sold my Koal Illuminati today. Pretty much sold it for $50 less than I paid for it (I probably could have sold it for $20 less than I paid had I not sold it within a day of posting it on CL).

That said, getting to ride a board for most of a season for $50 isn't too bad. And I'll certainly attribute the price decrease to the fact that I had to do quite a bit of fiberglass touchup work to the board. tip, tail, some spots on the edges... It was a legit board, but it's time to move on to something else...