Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (pcuezze)      Join Date: Aug 2014       08-29-2014, 7:42 AM Reply   
First, thanks for all the great help on this forum. Since I found it a while ago, I've been lurking and got some great pointers!

I'm 5'8 and 195 and 40 yo. We ride behind a 2012 SAN 226. I use factory ballast full on port and belly. We plumbed in an additional 600 in both lockers and fill the appropriate one (depending on goofy or regular). We also have a 750 lb sack on the floor all the way against the rear seat. So, when riding, we typically have 2000 lbs +/- with one adult and two children riders. At 10.5 MPH this gives us a very tall and clean curl though it's not as long as I would like. I ride a LF Noserider 5'2".

My kids wakeboard (11 and 8) and I have a skateboarding background. Of the wakeboard, skate, and surfboard, I picked up surfing first. I am also beginning to pick up boarding and skating (the cable park has definitely helped).

I've been riding about 2 months about 1.5x per week. It took me forever to go ropeless. The key was putting pressure on my front big toe. I can carve pretty hard with all three fins on the LF board and even got a little air the other day. No problem going from the top of the wake back down, but I've been unable to break the fins loose for a surface spin (not surprising). I'm going to take the outer two fins off this week and see how it goes.

I now realize that this board will limit me in the future and may be limiting me now. It's a ton of fun, especially for beginning, and I don't regret purchasing it, but I'm not sure where to go next. So far, I really enjoy the surf-style board, but have no other point of reference. I've ridden the Ronix Marshmellow Thrasher and the Ronix Longboard. I didn't feel like either of those were a significant enough upgrade over my board to justify changing.

I definitely want a surf-style board and a skim board going into next season. So, should I ditch the LF and get a better surf-style board first or pick up a decent skim board and stick with the LF until I exhaust it? How limited am I with the nose rider or, rather, is there a better surf style that will make a noticeable difference in performance? If not, what is a good skim board to start out with that I can grow into for a couple of years? I'd really like to stay under $800 and the less the better. Thanks in advance.

Patrick
Old     (Chaos)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-29-2014, 5:31 PM Reply   
Patrick,

If you are looking to get 3s and airs, then yes you want a surfboard, not a noserider. The LF noserider is OK for what it is, but it is far from a performance board, and yes it will be very difficult for you to learn performance or advanced maneuvers on it. Using on the the two lead fins will be your 'driviest' configuration.

I am easily biased, but in my line up I would suggest either a 4'8" Carbon Sixer, Ringer/RacerX or Pro, custom or off the rack.

If you want I can go down a list of board you might take a look at.

Nick
Old     (pcuezze)      Join Date: Aug 2014       08-30-2014, 7:15 AM Reply   
Thanks Nick. Do you have any dealers in Missouri (Lake of the Ozarks or KC) by chance? That Bamboo Carbon Sixer is sexy...
Old     (Chaos)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-30-2014, 2:17 PM Reply   
Patrick, currently no dealers servicing that area. If you know a dealer that might be a good fit, I am happy to speak with them. I do send boards out there, so there is definitely a market.

Nick