Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (suit226)      Join Date: Mar 2014       07-15-2014, 7:55 PM Reply   
I just got my girlfriend the women's Koal from Ronix and it came with a sticker on it saying to keep it out of the sun or it will damage the board. Are they meaning just don't leave it in the sun for HOURS, or don't leave it in the sun PERIOD!? Really would appreciate the input.
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-15-2014, 11:38 PM Reply   
Old man wisdom here: I don't think the sun is a friend to any board including wake, surf or snow. Some boards can take it better than others but, high heat in general is bad for all boards.
Old     (Chaos)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-16-2014, 7:43 AM Reply   
It is a safe guard for their warranty policy. In simple terms do not leave it sitting in the sun for extended periods. People always do, but the UV rays can do more than discolor a board. Even worse is leaving the board in those bimini pockets. These melt boards during hot days.
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-16-2014, 7:59 AM Reply   
I've had two boards delaminate in my garage just from the heat alone. One was a Victoria skim board and the other was a Burton snow board.
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-16-2014, 10:30 AM Reply   
If you are going to be on a lake all day where you are getting direct sun on the board all day I recommend keeping it in a board bag with a reflective side. Then make sure that reflective side is up.
A terry cloth board sock is a great idea as well
Old     (suit226)      Join Date: Mar 2014       07-18-2014, 6:29 AM Reply   
Thanks for the input
Old     (codyroberts18)      Join Date: Apr 2014       07-20-2014, 6:33 AM Reply   
The new Koal and Marshmallow are both bubbling up with too much heat. I'm not sure why, but I have already seen 4 boards do it. Don't leave them in cars or in ski lockers becuase that is where these got too hot. Weird how something that is $350 plus is so delicate, but I take what I can get.
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       07-20-2014, 11:48 AM Reply   
The whole Koal line is really fragile to begin with. It doesn't surprise me that they are subject to heat issues as well as their normal cracking and crushing easily. Fun boards, but just have to handle like they're made out of eggshells it feels like.