Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (RonBurgundy)      Join Date: Jun 2012       07-10-2014, 10:00 AM Reply   
So I've been getting into wakesurf more and for the time being I added a fin to a composite Victoria skimboard I have had for a while.

What I'm trying to figure out is just how much different a skim "style" board would be from an actual skim? At the local shop I've seen boards like the hyperlite broadcast that are a similar shape....but definitely seem like they float more.

Trying to figure out if what I'm missing is worth $300+
Old     (petrie141)      Join Date: Jun 2012       07-10-2014, 10:23 AM Reply   
The right board for you is the one you feel most comfortable on. What's driving the need to investigate new boards? Is your current one hard to ride? Having a hard time progressing? I don't have much experience with ocean skim boards but what I've seen so far is wakesurf skimmers are typically thicker and more buoyant.
Old     (RonBurgundy)      Join Date: Jun 2012       07-10-2014, 11:32 AM Reply   
What's driving me is mostly looking for a hybrid between a skim and a surf type board.....which some of the wakesurfs seem to be.

Although workable when actually skimming, my board is really twitchy which makes it hard when pumping, turning, etc.
Old     (petrie141)      Join Date: Jun 2012       07-10-2014, 12:18 PM Reply   
Since you added a fin to your skimboard, compare the bottom of it to the bottom of some wakesurf skimmers, I don't think you'd see much of a difference. If you're looking for stability try a bigger fin first and go from there. It's a smaller investment than just jumping up to a new board. Again though, I don't have much experience with ocean skim boards so maybe someone else can chime in.
Old     (scuba_steve)      Join Date: Oct 2013       07-10-2014, 3:35 PM Reply   
If you are familiar with Victoria from the ocean side of things you will feel right at home on one of their wake models. The main difference between the wake and ocean skimmers has to do with rocker and surface area. They are fairly similar but do have some changes. Victoria can make custom skims in 2 weeks time but some shops do carry them in stock and have them ready to ship.

They can ride looser than surf style boards but if you have the rail locked into the wave they will hold their edge and allow you to get airs for big grabs and shuv tricks as well.

The Factor is a great board at a great price and as I said, if you have that ocean skim background you will feel right at home on it.

Depending on your height/weight California Marine Sports has a Small, Medium and Large in stock and ready to ship if you dont want to wait two weeks for a custom.

http://calmarinesports.com/wakesurf-...manufacturer=8

You can defiantly mess around with your current skim and the fin but the rockers will seem off and not give you the same ride as a board designed for boat waves.
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-10-2014, 4:17 PM Reply   
Most skimboards will appear to be similar, but the subtle differences change the ride dramatically.

Ocean skimboards are generally a lot narrower than wake skimboards. That is because you need to be able to pivot quickly in order to wrap a wave and ride it back to the beach. In wakesurfing you do not need to have that ability, so boards are able to be wider which keeps the boards faster and more forgiving. You can also ride shorter boards behind the boat because the extra width makes up for the surface area.

Ocean Skimboards have less rocker than wake Skimboards. Skimboarders need to be able to reach far away waves, and any extra drag can make the rider fall short. Too flat of rocker behind the boat makes it easier to pearl the board. More rocker also allows the board to transition up the wake easier which makes it easier to get big airs.

Wake skimboards are built with a reinforced area for the fin. This makes it so the screws don't crush through the board, and it also makes it so the foam core is not exposed to water which would destroy a board.

Traction plays a role in the cost. Ocean skimboards do not include traction.

The two main wake skimboard companies are Phase 5 and Victoria Skimboards.
Phase 5 is the wake division of Zap Skimboards which is the biggest skimboard company on the East Coast.
Victoria Skimboards is the biggest skimboard company on the West Coast. They make both ocean skimboardsand wake skimboards under the same brand name.
If you look at both of these companies boards, you will see differences in the specs between the ocean and wake line ups. The materials are the same though.
Old     (jdhart73)      Join Date: Mar 2010       07-10-2014, 4:44 PM Reply   
What is your height/weight?
Old     (RonBurgundy)      Join Date: Jun 2012       07-10-2014, 5:00 PM Reply   
6'1" and around 185lb. Im understanding now the differences and pearling the board over definitely comes into play more than I think it should.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-11-2014, 6:16 AM Reply   
I have a Phase 5 Carbon X. It's a hybrid with 3 fins. If you ride with the center fin only it's more of a skim board. If you ride with the two outside fins it's more of a surf style. It is very fast down the line.
Old     (jdhart73)      Join Date: Mar 2010       07-11-2014, 12:54 PM Reply   
I have a phase 5 trident and love it!