Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (plav77)      Join Date: Aug 2015       10-01-2015, 11:16 AM Reply   
So Ronix has 2 new kids boards out for 2016!
Odyssey Fish
http://www.ronixwakestore.com/ronix-...oard-2016.html
Odyssey Powertail
http://www.ronixwakestore.com/ronix-...oard-2016.html
My boy is 11 years old and cannot get up on my Liquid Force Happy Pill so I'm looking at getting him a board for Xmas. Any suggestion what one might be better for a new rider. Also I don't have the hugest wake behind my 2002 Supra Launch. There is always the Phase 5 Scamp to consider also.
Thanks for any help.
Old     (Chaos)      Join Date: Apr 2010       10-01-2015, 3:45 PM Reply   
I can set you up with a Chaos Nano.

Nick
Old     (Cabledog)      Join Date: Dec 2013       10-01-2015, 8:06 PM Reply   
How much for the Nano? I've got 2 girls 11 & 7. Want to get board their size. My 11 year old will probably be on my wife's Mucus in another year or two so sized for a petite 7 year old (45lbs) that she could use for a couple years. Post a pic please.
Old     (brewkettle)      Join Date: Jan 2009       10-02-2015, 5:04 AM Reply   
Keep in mind that all boards mentioned have a fragile fiberglass finish that will get damaged as time goes on.
Your choice for a trouble free protective Tek surface finished wakeskim or wakesurf board is a Lakewakes grom that can be had for same price as others
Old     (Copenglenn)      Join Date: Aug 2015       10-02-2015, 6:41 AM Reply   
Victoria also has a grom board that is rated up to 140 lbs. It's priced very reasonable. We have several different ages of kids and sizes that ride behind our boat so the 140lb rating will be great to have as some get older or until they advance to a regular board. http://wakestore.victoriaskimboards.com/product/debut/
Old     (Chaos)      Join Date: Apr 2010       10-02-2015, 7:15 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabledog View Post
How much for the Nano? I've got 2 girls 11 & 7. Want to get board their size. My 11 year old will probably be on my wife's Mucus in another year or two so sized for a petite 7 year old (45lbs) that she could use for a couple years. Post a pic please.
I'll send you a PM.
Old     (plav77)      Join Date: Aug 2015       10-02-2015, 10:05 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewkettle View Post
Keep in mind that all boards mentioned have a fragile fiberglass finish that will get damaged as time goes on.
Your choice for a trouble free protective Tek surface finished wakeskim or wakesurf board is a Lakewakes grom that can be had for same price as others
Seems that they are out of stock on the website.....and $80 more than the Ronix boards.
Might be interested at the $299 and free shipping that they offer.
Old     (brewkettle)      Join Date: Jan 2009       10-03-2015, 5:06 PM Reply   
Paul
you may spend the 80 in board repairs as the years go on. These boards may ride great and have a great price , but will be disposable as the year goes on.
Please post the durability on these products as the year goes on.
Old     (you_da_man)      Join Date: Sep 2009       10-05-2015, 10:31 AM Reply   
What about the Phase 5 Scamp? It's been around forever and has great reviews, great looking, very durable, and $279 free shipping is hard to beat.
Old     (brewkettle)      Join Date: Jan 2009       10-05-2015, 10:58 AM Reply   
Got this Victoria skim 4 years ago and after a few minutes unpacking it it slipped out of my hand and hit a stack of 2x6 on the floor. Smashed the rail on this polyester board.. never rode the board. Just saying full glass finishes will crack this easy without a tougher skin to protect it.
Attached Images

Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       10-05-2015, 4:03 PM Reply   
^ that is actually really good for being dropped on a hard. Most boards would look way worse.

But honestly, wakesurf boards are meant to ride on water. If you want a board that can handle concrete and metal you might want to get a skateboard. Boards by skimboard brands a proven strong. They get punished by heavy waves and get smashed into sand and rocks repeatedly.
Old     (scuba_steve)      Join Date: Oct 2013       10-05-2015, 4:08 PM Reply   
So the Victoria board took a direct hit to the rail in a way it was never intended and all it did was "spider crack" the glass? the fact that it didnt split and the core isnt exposed shows the durability and craftsmanship those boards have. That looks to be nothing more than cosmetic and an easy fix.

And you are right, skim boards with full glass finishes are prone to "cracking", only add weight and a glossy appearances. Which is way Victoria swapped their Wake line over to all matte finishes the same way their Ocean line has been doing things for the last 30 something years.

I wouldnt second guess a Victoria construction, especially after watching these two videos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZ56tJ8hXwk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9V2aKt2yGE