Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (Jn94defender)      Join Date: Mar 2013       08-17-2015, 9:52 AM Reply   
I am looking for some feedback on a new surf style board. Currently riding a TWP Bomb Pop that is falling apart - Fin box is wrecked (from previous owner) and the tip is cracked now.

Been looking at a few different options with a couple of them being the following:

* Doomswell Neo
* Phase 5 Aku surf
* Phase 5 Wire Surf
* ISurf Tonka Kahuna
* Inland Surfer - Keenan Flegel Pro

I know I want a high end surf board but w the prices what they are, I don't want to make the wrong decision... Would love to demo them all but not quite that easy.

I am 205 lbs. Any experience side by side with those boards?
Old     (JoshL)      Join Date: Jul 2015       08-17-2015, 10:39 AM Reply   
Have you considered a custom board from SoulCraft or Brigade? At the price points of most of the boards you've listed you can get a custom board for in some cases less. Since demoing is a concern of yours, you can send a video of you riding to either of the above and they'll be able to recommend a shape so you.
Old     (MICAH_HARPER)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-17-2015, 11:57 AM Reply   
PM sent
Old     (Chaos)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-17-2015, 9:45 PM Reply   
If you like the bomb pop, consider a Chaos Racer X. If you are looking to go more towards an actually surf style board, then look at a Carbon Flex Pro, or Pocket Rocket, or Sixer.

Nick
Old     (OneCent)      Join Date: Jul 2010       08-18-2015, 4:17 PM Reply   
i do like the Phase 5 Wire very much. It is super fast, turns very well and makes a lot of fun. I would buy it again.
Old     (jamesoja)      Join Date: Jun 2007       08-18-2015, 10:39 PM Reply   
I considered many of the boards you mentioned and then went with a hand shaped, custom board from Andy Hori (http://www.shapesbyhori.com). Like Josh stated above, you can get a custom board, hand shaped to your desired specs and riding style for less then some of the boards you mentioned. I have futures fins on mine, if the fin box gets destroyed, easy repair. I would suggest getting a board that you can test multiple fins with too. You can change the board completely by swapping fin sets.
Old     (Smooky)      Join Date: Jun 2014       08-19-2015, 1:31 AM Reply   
Soulcraft, hands down
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-19-2015, 10:04 AM Reply   
A custom Soulcraft Da Honu, is my choice......
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       08-19-2015, 12:01 PM Reply   
Where do you live? if you're anywhere in the Portland/Vancouver area, we could meet up and I could let you ride my Doomswell Nubstep. That said, I'm 165 and you might want something a little longer than mine (although my buddy that's 220+ rides it just fine).

I like my Doomswell over the Soulcraft Da Honu that I rode and the price was more attractive on the Doomswell, but I will admit that I haven't had a real side by side comparo with the two... I will in time though.

I wasn't real impressed with the Brigade board I rode. But it wasn't really the "right" size and shape for me, so that factors in too.
Old     (Jn94defender)      Join Date: Mar 2013       08-20-2015, 6:11 AM Reply   
Thanks for the offer but I am all the way in Minnesota. Makes it a little tough!
Old     (BenHolloway)      Join Date: Aug 2012       08-20-2015, 9:23 AM Reply   
For a "production" board the p5 wire is the real deal, probably the nicest finish on a board I have ever seen, its fast, it spins it flies... the wire is the real deal. Is it better than a custom board? its debatable... for the cost of a wire there are a ton of options out there.
Old     (CarFanatic5)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-20-2015, 8:44 PM Reply   
Doomswell Neo. With blackstick fins. Fantastic board!! Awesome price.
Old     (LKASurfing)      Join Date: Nov 2011       08-24-2015, 5:01 PM Reply   
The Phase 5 Wire is an amazing board, Super Strong! I broke two fly boys in two years! Depends on your skill and your wake, but the AKU is a tad faster down the line, but the Wire is far more responsive.
Old     (lashburn1)      Join Date: Oct 2014       08-24-2015, 5:35 PM Reply   
SoulCraft is a Good Choice...Jeff just let me demo a couple last Wednesday
Skimmer
AV Inspire Fang Tail (White)
Hono Green , my board
Attached Images

Old     (wka40)      Join Date: Aug 2013       12-08-2015, 1:45 PM Reply   
I really like my Wire, and like most people said it really turns well, airs well and is really fast down the line. I had a lot of people really enjoy riding it this year. Very durable as well. However, next year I want to demo the Neo to compare.

Last edited by wka40; 12-08-2015 at 1:50 PM. Reason: posting pic
Old     (VanillaGorilla)      Join Date: Nov 2015       12-09-2015, 7:52 PM Reply   
I would vote for the Neo as well.
Old     (AZShreds)      Join Date: Aug 2014       12-10-2015, 8:58 AM Reply   
You always get what you pay for! AVOID boards using CHEAP foam and NO stringers. Ask your shaper where the foam comes from. Is it in a large brick sitting outside, and then cut down to a surf board, then sold for $100 cheaper? or is every core made specifically for that board? These are some details you want to know before investing your money into a board. Coming from a Custom board like the used one you bought, you are most going to be best into something like Chaos or Soulcraft. These companies are at the leading edge of surf tech AND do not hold back when it comes to using the best materials you can find. More inexpensive isn't always a better option...
Old    r33pwrd            12-10-2015, 11:02 AM Reply   
So who would be a top custom board builder for us big guys? I really want something that I can spin, ride backwards and get air with (some fat guys want to have fun as well lol)
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       12-10-2015, 11:07 AM Reply   
Soulcraft gets my vote as well. I'm 205lbs and ride a 4`7" custom parabolic honu
Old     (Chaos)      Join Date: Apr 2010       12-10-2015, 12:02 PM Reply   
Thanks for the kind words Mike.

Brad, how big? For me, I think of big as 225+; 300+ is another ball game. All shapes and designs are scalable. Can there be some change (loss or amplifications) in the standard performance attributes of board model? YES.

The ability to pull 360s, ride revert, and launch a few feet of air, not just a few inches relies mostly in the rider. A hi performance board sized to the rider can make learning and progressing through these maneuvers easier, but it is not necessarily the golden ticket.

Nick
Old     (AZShreds)      Join Date: Aug 2014       12-10-2015, 2:10 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by r33pwrd View Post
So who would be a top custom board builder for us big guys? I really want something that I can spin, ride backwards and get air with (some fat guys want to have fun as well lol)
Soulcraft makes a very progressive board that bigger guys take a liking to. Da Honu or HC Pro sit really well in the pocket, effortless recovery, and the rounded tail really allows you to break loose for the inevitable 360 everyone is looking to learn. The HC is going to be similar to the Honu, with a little more release that Hunter Clement likes for huge airs that he does. Look into the Blunt Nose for easy revert riding.. These boards are made FOR YOU. Don't hesitate to call Jeff at SC...These guys make boards for a living, not a side gig.
Old    r33pwrd            12-10-2015, 2:44 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos View Post
Thanks for the kind words Mike.

Brad, how big? For me, I think of big as 225+; 300+ is another ball game. All shapes and designs are scalable. Can there be some change (loss or amplifications) in the standard performance attributes of board model? YES.

The ability to pull 360s, ride revert, and launch a few feet of air, not just a few inches relies mostly in the rider. A hi performance board sized to the rider can make learning and progressing through these maneuvers easier, but it is not necessarily the golden ticket.

Nick
I'm 290... so on the BIG side for sure. My current boards are Red Rocket and Phase 5 quest I prefer the RR but I simply cannot spin it or ride it backwards (I can get it backwards but the board will not hold speed) I have tried it with the rope many times and I cannot get any push from the board once its backwards. Don't get me wrong I am far from good but I feel like my board is limiting me from advancing? What I really want is a board I can advance with, or maybe I have that board and need more time? Here is me riding early this year (this was about my 15th time surfing so I am better now for sure) but still struggle with any type of "tricks". FYI this is behind my 15' A24 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0j8H_nQPOH4 No fat guy jokes please LOL
Old     (Chaos)      Join Date: Apr 2010       12-11-2015, 9:37 AM Reply   
Yes, the RR is a good big guy board, but a basic carver and learner. It is way to heavy and cumbersome to accomplish what you want.
You need a custom board. You need a board with drive, that you can push and set up maneuvers. I make a custom big boy pro which is the board that is going to get you there.

Nick
Old    r33pwrd            12-11-2015, 1:29 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos View Post
Yes, the RR is a good big guy board, but a basic carver and learner. It is way to heavy and cumbersome to accomplish what you want.
You need a custom board. You need a board with drive, that you can push and set up maneuvers. I make a custom big boy pro which is the board that is going to get you there.

Nick
Nick thank you pm sent.